Parts For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

12 bolt OLDS W30 rear 4.33 31 spline TO code WOW CLEAN

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2010, 06:06 AM

12 bolt OLDS W30 rear 4.33 31 spline TO code WOW CLEAN

Just found this one rare rear.

TO code 4.33 posi SUPER CLEAN housing

OK now I know that Olds sight says TO was 3.91...BUT MAn this rear has been sitting for 25 some odd years and Sure appears NOT to have been messed with...Or at least it sure looks if the gears were swapped that it was a factory job...??? I will find out when it returns. NUMBERS AND CODES have been known to be wrong also. I know for a FACT the ring gear is stamped 39 9 THe carrier is cast 672... That is a 31 spline unit.

It is at the blaster and will be reconditioned upon return

All new seal and bearing will be installed and posi disassemble check and reassemble back to factory specs. Backlash will again be double check back to factory.

REAL CLEAN HOUSING. Pictures soon.

Price will be at least 1500.00 Sorry it is pretty rare. Jim

330 659 7117
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:29 PM

i need 31 spline housing t3 code preferred to next best thin for 68 hurst olds #72 nearing completion how much for housing, axles and carrier? scottyb sbaldridge@eid.org or 530-333-3558
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:48 AM

433 rear

I ahd one of those a while back...lol

This one is a all for - What kind of offer for this rear. Give a call and will talk. Jim

330 659 7117

Oops see your number I will call about noon so you can sleep in...lol.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM

Sounds like the one streetbatten had in Cleveland,but I think his had the TW code.Very possible those 4:33's were dealer installed before it ever left the lot.Also a pretty good chance that the original car that the rear came from had a short engine life,unless it was a W31.In 68,people didn't realize that you could windout the new 400's like you could with the older style,& they often went caboom.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:02 AM

TO code 433

WELL I can tell you this rear was sitting more than it was driving. The guy I got it off of had it for 20 years OUT OF THE CAR.
As far as the code... There is NO question it is TO from the pictures. It does have the 672 carrier and 31 spline axles and the gears are FACTORY 39 9

From my professional option of building rears it appears to be UNtouched like yo said maybe the car was a late 67 ordered and the customer just had to have the biggest baddest best... so they changed the ratio there and the TO code stayed on the tube because that is the way it came off the line 3.91??? Maybe the line just PLAIN goofed... Friday???

Here are the pictures of the rear end. I still have not fully disassembled the car to check the bearings and seals etc. NO time yet... Been busy...THAT is a good thing. Jim
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM

In 68 i think 391 was lowest gear avalible from factory - 433 and lower was dealer installed i have a 12 bolt i took out of a 68 hurst olds years ago its a to code with 433's also
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Would have been better if if didn't get blasted,and etched,but still very nice.Now,look at where the bolt bosses protrude through the front of the pumpkin,and compare those with the same bumps on a 28-spline pumpkin.There is a visual difference,but you need to know what you are looking at.
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:42 AM

I am listening???

Always looking to learn here. Got some shots to compare? Jim
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM

blasting

trust me this is clean. it does have dust on the rear. and it is only primer at this time...still need to tear it down. Primer is used and enamel on top will make this rear nice and smooth. There is no way your gonna get every nook and cranny wire wheeling and the time it takes does not put money in your pocket.

Besides the material used cuts very minimal and I am not having all that stuff near building rears...lol. I contract blasting out as I let blasters do there job and I do mine. Keeps the economy rolling.

Jim

I will take less for it if I do not need to tear into the rear. Once I do the price will be the price listed...So offer up and I might bite...Besides IT IS CHRISTMAS I might have a JOLLY DAY and get you a good deal!!!
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Awhile back,there was another topic,where you didn't think there was a difference.I figured you might have a 28-spline housing around to look at.
No,I don't have a blasting facility anywhere near where these are built,but if they are that nice,I will just have them hot-tanked,and no blasting.That way,I can keep all of the crisp details,like the marks & seams on the tubes,little stamped insignias,and all that good stuff.When you get guys doing a no-expenses-spared restoration,I'll do it however they want it.They pay me good.
Anything that has any type of rust,light or heavy,will get blasted first,then disassembled,then hot-tanked,and start the build process.Something like the one pictured would get tanked.If it had anything that might not come off,then I would soda-blast it,instead of the heavier media that leaves the surfaces etched.Something with a surface like that will smooth-out with a good coating.Regardless,it's a good find.
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:25 PM

28 or 31 housing

I do have 28 spline housing...top shelf. and we have 1 foot of snow covering everything...lol. I am sure you are familiar with the Lovely Lake effect SNOW machine.

Are you talking about the bolts that hold the rear cover on? those bolt bosses? Just trying to get a grip on the aera I am suppose to be looking at?

Jim

Last edited by monzaz; December 13th, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM

more pictures

More pics
Attached Images
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:00 AM

No,not the cover bolts.The bumps where the cap bolts would come through,if you kept drilling.They are a different shape,and in a slightly different location on the factory 31-spline pumpkins,due to the difference on the cap/bearing diameter. 9 out of 10 people would never notice it,or might not even care,but it's one of those things I noticed one time,when I had 2 of them next to each other.
Yes,to those that do not live in our region,you would not understand the term "Lake Effect",when it comes to our lovely northern weather.