Sandpaper

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2011, 06:29 AM

Sandpaper

This concerns the trunk area of a 66 442. The inside of the trunk area on my car is pretty dull and has some runs. Can basecoat be wet sanded to remove the runs and improve the gloss? If so, what grit sandpaper should be used to wet sand? Would I be able to apply clear over this work? I have never sprayed base coat, clear coat, only laquer and enamel so I could use some help. I did not have success with the enamel. Thanks for any help!
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

if its base coat only base you cannot do much. i would sand the runs out scuff the area and shoot it in activated basecoat its like semi gloss not too shiney not too dull just right for the under hood, trunk area and it can be polished. to paint under the trunk base and clear is a bit over kill imo. i used activated basecoat on my door jambs and under trunk area it looks good just not as bright as clear. as for sandpaper a nice 600 grit wet would work good for the runs and to scuff use the red 3m red scuff pad will work fine .also your fear of painting should not stop you., new base and clears are nothing like old enamels or laquers. i have sprayed both and base clear is much easier the only thing with clear is laying it on smooth but not too heavy other wise you run it ., no diffrence from any other paints same basic techniques apply

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 20th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:14 AM

Thank you for the help! You are going to have to bear with me but what is activated basecoat? Do I need to apply a primer? How dangerous is applying basecoat as far as a respirator is concerned? I have a respirator but not a closed airfed system. Is basecoat more dangerous that clear? Do I need a reducer to thin the basecoat or clear? What is the drying time? Don't mean to be a pest but again I have not shot basecoat/clearcoat and am ignorant about its process. Thanks again.
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:56 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

A good respirator is a must airfed system is not needed . Activated basecoat is like old single stage but it uses a hardener to dry unlike regular basecoat where it dries by air also primer is not needed as long as the previous paint is in good shape you can paint over it . As far as dry times go basecoat can be ten minutes activated base coat longer as the paint ia a bit thicker . Clear will need atleast ten minutes between coats and will dry in usually 2 hours to the touch it can be buffed in 48 hrs.