Restoring Oxidized Paint

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:18 PM

Restoring Oxidized Paint

Hi: I have a 77 Cutlass with the original silver paint which is extremely oxidized. I've heard of all sorts of remedies from using rubbing compound, wet sanding, cleaning wax with buffing, & some of these "miracle" liquids you see on TV like Renews it, Wipe New, & others that supposedly chemically remove the oxidation. Just wondering what others have tried & what works or doesn't? Thanks!

Rich
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:37 PM
Oldsdruid

Silver (or any light metallic) is the worst to bring back once it has oxidized and lost its gloss.

It's going to take work, time, and plenty of elbow grease to bring it back and then it will probably not last more than a few months before it looks as bad as before. The paint is "dead" for all practical purposes, though I think GM was still using acrylic lacquer in 77 so you can try polishing it out.

Start with the least abrasive compound you can so as not to remove any more paint than needed. Meguiars or 3M are what I have experience using. There are other product systems that can also help. Remember- heavy cut, fine cut, polish (sometimes two or three different grits), glaze, swirl remover, non-cleaner wax. Lot of work. And yes, you may have to start by wet sanding with around 1200 grit.

Those "miracle restorers" are baloney.

I'd start saving up for a paint job, because that is what it will ultimately take to make your paint shine again.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:24 AM

I would second the concept that you can bring it back to life, but only for a months. It will revert to looking bad again, over time.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:06 PM

Take a close look at the paint because you may find that it has small cracks in it which is called checking. I know the color well as I painted a 77 GP and a 79 GP in the past where that silver paint had died. The only way to do it tody and make it last, especially if it sits outside is using a base coat/clear coat system.

I agree with rocketraider in that the effort required to put any type shine back on that paint will be substantial. And it's not worth it as that victory will be short lived. New paint is the only way to go. And if it is checking, you'll need to strip the old paint first.
Brian