Gloss Black from Bamboo Yellow

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2013, 04:56 PM
70 Cutlass S Conv

Gloss Black from Bamboo Yellow

I started a thread in general, when i realized it belongs here, so I start again. I have a 70 cutlass supreme conv in bamboo yellow of which i have spent the last seven years doing a frame on restoration. I'm not crazy about the color, albeit the paint is quite solid. I like the gloss black look, but i get pushback from friends and wife. Help me out with this one, what should I do........ black or status quo.. thanks for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0074.jpg (64.4 KB, 146 views)
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Randy C.

My vote - status quo. There's good appreciative value in your '70 ragtop that might be compromised somewhat with a non-original color. And yellow is certainly a nice complementing color, especially with your black interior (and black top, I assume). And yellow won't get nearly as hot as black would when the sun is beating down on it.

Randy C.
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:30 PM

I say status quo also. I don't say that because it might lower the value, either. I think it looks great as it sits. Bamboo with black interior. Beautiful combination.
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:38 PM
GM Enthusiast

I like that color too and would not change it. I've had a 67 and 70 Impala that were a similar shade and really liked it. Nice contrast.

Black looks great when its clean, but that lasts about 10 minutes, especially in the spring.
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Agree with others....like the contrast..maintain status quo

Ted
Old January 30th, 2013, 05:59 AM

Love the color.. I say leave it be..

and I like the child seats in the back.. not to go off topic, but do you just use the lap belt to secure?
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:11 AM

Add me to the list of likes, the photo you posted doesn't look exactly like bamboo but that could be lots of thing. Its a relatively unique color and great looking on a convertible.

In the end its your car but it also helps that your wife likes your car, cars get lots of husbands in trouble
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:10 PM

I just like cars as they are. Yeah, black is great but if the paint is good I also would keep it......for now. I'm more a fan of good paint than whatever color we're talking about. That said we're working on getting a '67 cutlass that used to be red. We think it's going to turn black soon.
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Moto
I started a thread in general, when i realized it belongs here, so I start again. I have a 70 cutlass supreme conv in bamboo yellow of which i have spent the last seven years doing a frame on restoration. I'm not crazy about the color, albeit the paint is quite solid. I like the gloss black look, but i get pushback from friends and wife. Help me out with this one, what should I do........ black or status quo.. thanks for your help
Moto,

Aren't you a little young to be driving?
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Another vote for leaving it original. Don't get me wrong, I love black, so much in fact my Olds is the only one of our 4 cars that isn't. With that said, keep it original, which in my opinion is unique. My brother is restoring a 70 cutlass S, that is Black now, but is going back to original green. I love the contrasting colors between the body and tops on the convertibles....
Old February 5th, 2013, 04:30 PM
72 Olds CS

The bamboo is a beautiful color.

but if you dont like it, its your car so like mick jagger says paint it black.

Black is beautiful too, although maybe less distinctive than the bamboo
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:57 AM

Good black needs near perfect prep, so not cheap. Cheap black would be way worse than the current bamboo IMO. Your money and your car so make it what you want and drive it!
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:08 AM

bamboo yellow...

My vote is for the original bamboo yellow. I had a '72 Cutlass S that color and liked it so well that I even painted my '39 Olds street rod Bamboo Yellow!

That being said...to each his own...
Old February 6th, 2013, 04:31 PM
70 Cutlass S Conv

Thanks to all the replies..... a couple of things... yes, there are car seats, and we only drive within a few miles of our country home with the lap belts over the seats. Secondly, i really appreciate and value the opinions of the viewers/members of this site, you have changed my mind, and saved me about 5,000, which my wife will probably ask to spend on a cruise.... but regardless, thanx for the input and praise to this site. Y'all rock, and thats coming from new england, where no one ever would say y'all..