Fresh paint

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM

Fresh paint

While I wait for the paint to dry (and watch the bugs use the clear coat for a landing strip), I thought I would post some pics of my latest work on my 1970 442. I used DuPont Chroma Base/Chroma Clear (code 78, Burgundy Mist) to re-coat the front clip. It has some junk in it, but I am pleased for the most part.
Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
frances paint #1.jpg (58.5 KB, 130 views)
frances paint #2.jpg (69.1 KB, 113 views)
frances paint #3.jpg (73.1 KB, 106 views)
frances paint #4.jpg (73.4 KB, 110 views)
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:46 PM
same but different

Hi Mick. I love shiny new paint. I don't like all the work that it takes to get there Looks good, nice color choice. I know its hard to get a better finish with out the pro-like shop, short of spraying in the early part of the day and keeping the floor hosed down. You can say "I"ve done that" a few times.

Are you planning on doing any more finish work concerning the landing zones? Looking forward to seeing your finished project. Tell us some more about your goals and plans.
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:09 PM

I sure wish I had a proper booth! I have created a booth in my garage with an explosion-proof fan and a filtration set-up. I'm trying to make the most of it...no luck in finding a booth to rent in the Chicagoland area. There is some more work to do on the doors and quarters. I will let the clear sit for a while, then work out the nibs and wet-sand 1000,2000,3000. I will eventually lay the white stripes back down (on top) with Chroma One. I know that a lot of guys "bury" the stripes these days, but putting them on top works best for me. I am trying to remember that perfection is an illusion. It helps the job move along.
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I painted my car in an open shop no fancy stuff just proper preperation and it had minimal nibs. looks nice mick . I know you are local if you are familiar with redi-strip co. a cem strip and media blasting shop this is where we sprayed my car.

Last edited by coppercutlass; May 15th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:19 PM

I have taken some parts to ready Redi-Strip in the past (actually for this car that I am working on). It looks like your paint came out nice! This Chroma base that I used didn't cover very easily. I ended up using a lot more base than I had planned for. I also had to deal with some issues of lifting/wrinkling in the areas around some feather edges. I will probably use a tint-able primer/sealer in the future. It took a lot of base to cover the grey 2k primer.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:36 AM

both cars look great. good luck with sanding and buffing.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Mick if you bought that paint recently it's not you. I painted a harley a few months back and it took half a gallon !!!!!!!!! for a bagger . Dupont's paint line got bought out by some investment company im betting the company that bought it is cutting it cheap on pigmemts that make the color cover. I would try a diffrent brand paint. I plan on no lonfer using dupont base , their primers and clears are good but im not happy with the coverage the paint has. The only way i could get faster coverage was to be heavy on the material then do a light coat to cover the blotchiness that comes with trigger happy coats.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:26 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Sorry about the reply to an old post, but do you have pictures of the finished paint job? I'm doing a color change on my 71 and I'm going with Burgundy Mist. Curious to see how yours turned out.