convertible top hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM

convertible top hose replacement

I have to replace one of my hoses for the top on my 68 442. Is there anything special I need to do when replacing it? Beeding system?
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
car guy

I have stolen this from Team Chevelle ...........

Big thanks to Bill Pritchard for taking the time to write this up!!

Since this topic comes up periodically, I thought I would type, verbatim, the wording of the factory approved procedure for filling the power convertible top reservoir with fluid. This comes from the Fisher Body 1969 Service Manual. I have inserted my comments in italics.

FILLING OF HYDRO-LECTRIC RESERVOIR

This procedure virtually eliminates discharge or spillage of hydraulic fluid and possible trim damage while filling and bleeding system.

Fabrication of Rubber Filler Plug Adapter
  • Obtain a spare rubber filler plug (Part #7596442). Might have to improvise here, as I’m sure these are no longer available.
  • Cut approximately ½” off male end of plug (end inserted into reservoir) to permit insertion of tubing as shown in sketch. Sorry, can’t copy the illustration from the manual.
  • Obtain a 2” length of metal tubing 7/32” OD x 5/32” ID.
  • Insert reworked plug into filler hole in reservoir.
  • Insert metal tubing through hole in reworked filler plug.
Filling and Bleeding Reservoir
  • On all body styles, with top in raised position, remove folding top compartment bag material from rear seat back panel.
  • On “B-C & F” body styles (full-size cars and Camaro/Firebird) remove rear seat cushion and back.
  • Place absorbent rags below reservoir at filler plug. Using pliers, slowly pull filler plug from reservoir.
IMPORTANT: When installing new or overhauled motor and pump assembly as a bench operation, fill reservoir with hydraulic fluid. This priming operation is necessary prior to performing the following steps in order to avoid drawing excessive amount of air into hydraulic system.
  • Install filler plug adapter to reservoir (already done in a previous step!) and attach 4 or 5 foot length 5/32 inch ID rubber tubing or hose to filler plug tubing.
  • Install opposite end of hose into a container of Type “A” transmission fluid.
NOTE: Container should be placed in rear compartment (trunk) area on “A” bodies (Chevelle, Cutlass, Tempest, Skylark) and rear floor pan on “B-C & F” bodies, below level of fluid in reservoir. In addition, sufficient fluid must be available in container to avoid drawing air into hydraulic system. (Again, an illustration is referenced here, but I cannot copy it into this document…sorry.)
  • Operate top to down or stacked position. After top is fully lowered continue to operate motor and pump assembly approximately 15 to 20 seconds, or until noise level of pump is noticeably reduced. Reduction in pump noise level indicates that hydraulic system is filled with fluid.
  • Operate top up and down several times or until operation of top is consistently smooth in both up and down cycles and no further air bubbles are exhausted in container of fluid.
  • With top in down position, remove filler plug tubing and remove filler plug adapter from reservoir.
  • Check level of fluid in reservoir and re-install original filler hole plug.
NOTE: Fluid level should be within ¼” of lower edge of filler plug with top in down position.

CAUTION: DO NOT OVERFILL.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM

Perfect. Great guys at Team Chevelle.
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:11 PM

Question Convertible hoses are seeping fluid at the T connections

The T-s for my convertible hydraulic hoses (72 Cutlass) are seeping a little bit of fluid at the connections.

Do I need to replace the entire hose assemblies?

If so, does anybody have experience with these folks?
http://store.convertibleparts.com/5973gmhse.html

A couple of not-so-great images attached....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
convertible-hose-t-1.jpg (62.8 KB, 36 views)
convertible-hose-t-2.jpg (53.0 KB, 33 views)
Old June 21st, 2013, 04:24 AM

Question

Might be a dumb question, but if so, does it make any sense to replace them with braided stainless steel hydraulic line?
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM

No bites?

I took some better pix in the sunlight....maybe that will help....

top hose:

bottom hose:
Attached Images
top-hose.jpg (45.6 KB, 194 views)
bottom-hose.jpg (86.3 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by ddd777; June 21st, 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: large pix
Old December 21st, 2014, 05:57 PM

Hey, how did you ever make out with the line replacements? I was searching on how to change mine when I saw your post which went unanswered.
Old December 21st, 2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Larrys'66
Hey, how did you ever make out with the line replacements? I was searching on how to change mine when I saw your post which went unanswered.

Didn't get around to doing it this summer....a project for when it warms up....
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ddd777
Didn't get around to doing it this summer....a project for when it warms up....

I would suggest that you purchase 2 new hoses, and I would also be very careful when you remove them, since they are filled with brake fluid. Once you have them off, I would removed, disassemble and clean the power top motor, and also drain all the fluid out of the cylinders. When you put everything back together, I would use power steering fluid in place of the brake fluid, since if it were ever to leak, there would be no paint damage. As for the tubing, there are a number of places that manufacture it, and I would so some investigating prior to buying. It isn't a difficult job to do, but it is time consuming, removing the rear seat cushions, and the side panels. Once you have everything out of the way, it shouldn't take very long to reassemble the system.
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:52 PM

Pay attention

I compared the old to new but got it wrong and now I have to push the down button to make my top go up. Be sure and get it right or you will have to spill some fluid to fix it . Good luck.