Power antenna cable 77 ninety eight

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Power antenna cable 77 ninety eight

Does anyone know where I can get a new cable.for my power antenna or do I need to buy a whole new mast. I have had friends remove and replace just cable.If mast was in good shape.
Mine is a 77 ninety eight. Motor runs fine , antenna mast.moves freely by hand. Motor just fine runs all the time. I have unplugged it for now.
I know this is not the most popular car on The forum. But I love it and only antenna and door arm rest need repair rest is in great shape.

Last edited by bruneau; July 12th, 2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Erorr
Old July 12th, 2019, 04:40 PM

I have this. I bought it some time ago, and I think it was ebay. I have a '78 Toronado where the power antenna did not retract all the way, and I had planned to use this to fix it. However, when I took the antenna out of the car, I decided there was enough wrong with it to just go ahead and put in an aftermarket replacement. I found one at Pepboys that works very well, and that's what's in the car now.

So I never made use of this, and I never even opened the package. Given that yours is a '77 and mine is a '78, I'm guessing that the antennas used over the two years are similar if not identical. Because I now have zero use for this, and because you won't know until you try whether it will work, if you don't find something else, I'm glad to send this to you (it'll cost me all of about $3 in postage) at no charge. If ends up working for you, send me 10 bucks or something. If it doesn't, we'll just chalk it up to experience, and you can pass it on to the next guy who might or might not be able to make use of it. If you're interested, PM me your mailing address, and I'll get it right out to you.

After all, we all have a mission to preserve these late '70s behemoths!

Old July 13th, 2019, 06:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

To answer the OP's original question, the cable and mast are an assembly, as shown in Jaunty's photos. You have to replace the whole assembly. there is no way to just replace the cable without also replacing the mast.
Old July 13th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Administrator

I've spliced antenna cables in the past with solder and heat shrink.
Old July 13th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I've spliced antenna cables in the past with solder and heat shrink.
We're talking about the plastic cable that runs up inside the mast to push it up and down, not the electrical cable.