headlight conversion question

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2018, 02:49 AM

headlight conversion question

i have 87 olds cutlass ceria GT im currently restoring but i absolutely hate the composite headlights, and i wanna convert them back over to 4x6 headlights so i can get aftermarket headlights and so i can adjust them separate instead of all all at once is there any older Oldsmobile that the buckets for 4x6 that would be a direct fit or swap?
Old February 12th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ceria gt
i have 87 olds cutlass ceria GT im currently restoring but i absolutely hate the composite headlights, and i wanna convert them back over to 4x6 headlights so i can get aftermarket headlights and so i can adjust them separate instead of all all at once is there any older Oldsmobile that the buckets for 4x6 that would be a direct fit or swap?
Welcome. Your easiest route is to swap the nose for a 1986 version.

Old February 12th, 2018, 11:57 AM

your just talking about the grill, bezels? or bumper too cause looks like 86 and 87 used almost same bumper from images
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

your just talking about the grill, bezels? or bumper too cause looks like 86 and 87 used almost same bumper from images
I'm no expert on the FWD A-body cars, but looking at these photos, I think you may be right. GM was not trying very hard in the 1980s and they definitely weren't putting a lot of money into these cars (since the W-body cars were such a development money pit at the time), so I suspect the header panel and bumper are the same. I don't know what, if any, differences there are in the core support or brackets that hold the lights and grill, however.

Old February 14th, 2018, 12:51 AM

yeah i'll have to look into it and see what differences are, you wouldn't happen to know where a person could get aftermarket parts for the 87 A bodys? like hood trunk lid etc?
Old February 14th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

yeah i'll have to look into it and see what differences are, you wouldn't happen to know where a person could get aftermarket parts for the 87 A bodys? like hood trunk lid etc?
These cars are not exactly popular to restore. I'd be very surprised if any aftermarket company sells repro panels. The good news is that the body was relatively unchanged for a lot of year, so good used panels should not be that hard to find.