Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

How many of you have an Omega??

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2013, 05:38 PM

part #"s

grill 1 001.jpg

grill 2 001.jpg
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
Attachment 69215

Remember the book was printed before 77 and the first year for the Omega was 73 so it could go farther either way in the Nova and other Models.
railguy
Is that what you wanted?
railguy
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:42 PM

76 omega

yes i actually need number 31...which is the main header panel...the grill and the bezels i can probably find elsewhere...but im really looking for a parts car so i can take it all not piece by piece here n there u kno
Old June 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM

CranioPazzo, contact
Joe's Auto Parts, St Joseph, MN (320) 363-7773
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:18 PM

omega

hey doug...already called them lol the header panel that he has is in to bad a condition to ship to the east coast and the car is already to the bone...thanks tho
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:22 PM

Ok. i thought i gave you that info on another link. Didnt know where you are located. Also try Heidelberg Auto, Canonsburg, PA (866) 999-8733
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:45 PM

ok thanks ill give them a call as well
Old February 20th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by angee
Just curious. New user here. My S/O and I just got a 73 Omega (rescued is more like it) and it is currently stripped down, has been TOOTHBRUSHED clean (yes, I'm serious about the toothbrush), been wire brushed, painted back to gold and is waiting for gaskets and timing chain to get here tomorrow. Carb rebuild on the way as well, as we want to get her on the road and run her until we get the new motor and tranny together for next season. No running her in the winter here anyway, so we'll take that time to put in the goodies. I hadn't seen an Omega in over two decades when I saw this one on CL, and it doesn't seem like there's very many left around. Thus, one of the reasons we got her. I've done the Olds 98, Cutlass Supreme 2 and 4 door so this is something a little different. Of course, this is HIS baby...I'm just gonna get dirty helping him with it. (and driving it!!)

Cheers!
Ang
I myself purchased a 78 omega, but I have found parts easy, if you need parts, it's either from the 78 nova or 81 camaro, all front end parts are identical for all three cars
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:47 AM

I have a 1973 Omega, its only my second car ever and I am 23 years old, from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, just an hour or two from the border to Washington.

I paid 3000 CAD for the car after watching the guy come down from 5000 over a few weeks, there was NO way the car was worth 5 grand, 3 grand as the car was presented was very fair, the car seemed very nice in person and we agreed on 3 he gave me some details at the last minute and tbh now I Would try to get it for 2500 but I saw a guy selling his project he didn't want to and a sad little 5 year old or so boy who reminded me of being 5 years old and bawling my eyes out hysterically as the tow truck driver took my dads third owner 1970 Dodge Challenger that he had crashed with moderate body damage, but did not have the money to get it fixed and eventually gave up, (A sign of later problems to come but thats a whole other story)

The car was originally a straight 6 but has a nice running seemingly strong 1968 Rocket 350. The rear end is a 3.08 which is a ******* rocketship compared to my previous car, a 1983 Monte Carlo with a 305 and goddamned 2.19 REAR END, I got a 350 in there but when I had the money no rear ends, when I didn't wrecked Regal T-Types on craigslist ugh. The 7.5 inch in the Monte Carlo and Monte Carlo SSs can take quicker gears, but a warmed up 350 with sticky tires is the absolute upper end of what that rear end can handle.

It scoots along alright and will be much quicker once I do what she needs so that is exciting....

What I'm doing starting today if the weather is decent.

Starter
Front Shocks (tottally blown)
Brake booster and master cylinder are totally fucked
Repairing/replacing leaky hose on rear airshock
Replacing loose worn out column shift on the TH-350 to floorshift
Replace worn out stock steering wheel
Front alignment needs to be done, and front drum brakes arent the best
Quadrajet carb which I know nothing about seems out of tune at best and maybe slightly fucked up at worst.

Apart from that, it has an interior in good shape that is just dirty and needs some love, and a solid body and frame (the most important bit I will do mechanical work all day within reason but **** bodywork and paint) so I am very excited to start working on her, it gets looks and compliments everywhere I go, and my friends guys and gals both love it, I have had random girls my age ask to take pictures with it, My generation can barely afford to live nevermind own a car, nevermind something they like, so when my friends see a nice car like this they go nuts.

Planned upgrades are...

Replace quadrajet carb, possibly rebuild a Holley 650 CFM lying around
New Intake manifold
New dizzy and wires
Stock stereo works but dash speaker is blown, does anyone know what the cheapest way is to get a good functional radio in, preferably with ipod hookup, I have an old 80s head unit that used to be my dads I found cleanig his stuff after hr passed that would be rad, Its an Alpine or Kenwood, has a casette deck so I can make my own tapes or use a casette ipod hookup, I have an old amp to go with it, I just need speakers and I have found rear package trays online with speakers cut, I'm not very godo with car audio stuff though my dad was wicked before he died.

The stock exhaust sounds nice but I'd like to get something meaner and have the tailpipes visible nicely, I love exhausts that come out on an angle just before the front tire under the doors, not sideipes, just a tailpipe.

Replace drums with discs, at least the front but all 4 wheels would be rad haha

Suspension upgrades

etc

You can view my gallery here, I am blessed to have a proper muscle car liek this for my second vehicle and it makes me smile every day, I just need to get motivated and get her on the road. (Coming out of a bad spot of my life for the last 4-5 years, very borke at the moment but looking forward to getting motivated on her)

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ile+omega.html

I was lucky to be raised by a car oriented family, and have my first memory of being in a car my dads Challenger on the road to my grandmas not being abe to see over the dash but lsitening to the v8 and loving every second of it, I think its why im so obsessed with old american v8 cars, other highlights included top speed in a Ferrari 348 on the freeway, something like 270-280 km/h
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:21 AM

Keep the Q-Jet. Much better than the Holley.

If you do replace the Q-Jet and manifold, I might be interested in them, and any other leftover engine parts.
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by turbobill
Keep the Q-Jet. Much better than the Holley.

If you do replace the Q-Jet and manifold, I might be interested in them, and any other leftover engine parts.
Bare with me as I am new to this, I have a pretty strong knowledge of cars, way ahead of the average joe, its been hammered into me since i was a toddler, but when it comes to working on stuff I am usually doing it for my first time, and although I am decent at it I like to know as much as possible going into it, and try to do one thing at a time.

Is there anyway to easily tell if my Q-Jet needs work or not? What is the best way to tune it?

The Holley came on the 305 of my Monte Carlo and was far too big, P/O claimed it had been rebuilt but it leaked gas, replaced it with an Edelbrock Performer 500 CFM.

I'm thinking about rebuilding it/getting it rebuilt and pairing it with a new intake manifold, mainly so I know the carb is brand new and problem free but hey if I can get more power why not.

Would I be better off getting the QJet rebuilt? IIRC p/o said it had been recently rebuilt but I'd like to get it confirmed. Can I pair the Q-Jet with an intake manifold for more power?

I'm thinkign of just going Edelbrock again for a new cheap ready to run carb to get some more power.

I will let you know for sure, I am very broke and more money for the car is the best kind

Also here is the X-Body group on Facebook, some nice guys in there and lots of good info

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2229004645/
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:16 AM

Without being around the car, listening to it run and driving it, I have no way to tell if the Q-Jet needs work. Some of the biggest complaints are hesitation, bogging when the throttle is opened fully, loading up when cold, and poor fuel economy. Each of those things have a cause. Tuning is is a science all it's own.

The Q-jet is a more difficult carburetor to work on compaired to a Holley. I still remember my first one many many years ago. Modifications are possible but you must have a thorough understanding of the Q-Jet, carburetion, and engine mixture requirements under varying conditions. Even something as simple as an inoperative vacuum advance unit or improper initial timing will make an engine behave like there is a carburetor problem.

Years ago there were a couple of good books on the Q-jet, one being "Rochester Carburetors" written by Doug Roe and published by HP Books. I don't know if they are still in print or not. Getting it rebuilt might be better for someone who has no experience with them.

I also aquired over the years dozens of them along with lot's of different primary and secondary metering rods, jets and secondary metering rod hangars. Whenever I took one apart, or overhauled one, I made a list of jet/metering rod/hangar for a given application. I believe differnt jets/metering rods/hangars are available in the aftermarket, but I have so many that I never needed to find out.

Some aftermarket manifolds will accept both the Q-Jet or a Holley. The biggest problem with buying a new carb and just bolting it on is that it may not be jetted optimally for your particular engine. So for best performance/economy/driveability, you still may have to dig into a new carb to change jetting etc.
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:33 AM

The main problem I have having, apart from the leak brake booster causing idle to drop slightly and roughen up when on the brakes, is when I floor the car it will seem to flood or something and bog out, and I have to let the gas off a bit and floor it again to get full throttle, so I think the carb is running too rich.

When I took the car through smog a short while after I bought it, it passed on the hydrocarbons, but failed on C02 a small amount over, this is without adjusting the tune or anything just driving it in as I picked t up.

Thank you for your help and information, that sounds like it might be a little bit more advanced for me at the moment. I will leave it on there in the meantime while I focus on more pressing matters but I think eventually I will replace it with another carb and intake..

Do you have any other suggestions? You say Holley is not a good choice, I have had positive experiences with Edelbrock even if they are not very adjustable, I have also heard Demon carbs are very good
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:55 AM

I don't recall saying the Holley is not a good choice. I prefer the Q-Jet.

The WOT "bogging" is more than likely a failed air valve damper causing the secondary air valve to open too quickly. This causes a lean condition. On some Q-Jets, the choke vacuum pull off doubles as the air valve damper. On others, it is stand alone. I rebuilt a Q-Jet on a 74 Omega last summer but I've forgotten is it has one or two. I do recall replacing the pull off however.

Make sure your initial timing is at least set to specifications (a couple extra degrees never hurts and helps compensate for breaker point rubbing block wear) and that the vacuum advance is working.
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:18 AM
major noob

So an 81 camaro core support will work on my 77
Old April 8th, 2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the help, yeah I still havnen't got around to messing with the timing either, but considering how reasonable the cars runs without having touched the carb, timing, or the vacuum leak on the booster I'm looking forward to getting it going nice.

I have an old book of timing values and stuff a friend of my dads gave me so I'll poke around in there see what I can find.

Also do you guys know anything about switching to bucket seats for the Omega? I've had no luck finding Nova ones except super expensive SS ones or super expensive brand new foams, but I've read that similar year Camaro seats fit well? Would I just use the Camaro mounting hardware too?

In the meantime I think I'll stick with the bench till I get the more important bugs ironed out haha, but its nice to know in advance, I wanna get a floorshfit in there but the one I'm looking at will work ok with a bench, besides with a bench you can have a girl sitting right up next to you haha
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM

My '72 Nova has the Vega style bucket seats. It was a low cost bucket seat option for non SS cars. Mine is the only one I've ever seen with the option. I tend to think there were more SS's than regular Nova's with buckets. (in '72 anyway)
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:20 PM

Yeah I imagine there wasnt too many guys ordering the 72 or 73s with the go-fast type options, I've read 70s Camaro buckets work well so I'll have to keep an eye out for someone parting one out and grab the seats and rails
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:19 PM

Well actually if you can find a 73-77 cutlass with the correct color buckets and console, they have the same seats, shifter and console that were used in the Omega SX with buckets.
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:21 PM

Awesome! Good to know, theres a lot of mid 70s cutlasses hanging around for cheap too.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:07 PM

Really wish I could find a SX with clean interior wrecked somewhere with saddle interior to bolt all of it in mine.
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:47 PM

I hadn't even heard of the SX until now, just the S, I take it the SX was the same idea just on the later models? I absolutely LOVE the gauge cluster though, would this fit in a 73? It looks rad, right now I've got the mile wide 70s speedo with a non working clock, which reminds me, I found a website selling little tachs that went in the place of the clock for Novas but I forgot to bookmark it and can't find it again, and I would love to get one for my Omega

Edit: managed to find it this time of course I think this is a different one though

http://www.shiftworks.com/tachs-nova.htm

SDC10563.jpg
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:28 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/strima...n/photostream/ Love this Omega SX wonder how he got the Shaker Hood like a Trans Am?
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:46 PM

That shaker hood is badass!

When my dad was in highschool one of his buddies had a 70 or so Cuda, there was another one around town that had a shaker hood and was the only one with one in the general area, one day when it was parked at the mall my dads buddy and some of his friends stole the shaker hood and air cleaner, as my dad sat in the van and watched haha, but then the guy was too afraid to put it on his car because he was afraid the previous owner would suddenly spot another Cuda with a non stock shaker hood around
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM

What years was the omega S package offered ?
Old May 1st, 2014, 05:40 PM

Omega S

Originally Posted by imariver
What years was the omega S package offered ?
1 year only in 1974.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
1 year only in 1974.
Interesting, I bought a brand new Omega S from Fuller Cadillac in Rockland ME and I could have sworn it was a 75, but that was long time ago too.
I think the sales manager told me it had a Pontiac 350 engine in it. That sure was one eye grabbing car, wonder if it's still around anywhere.

I actually have a picture of it, taken by an old Vivatar Instamatic

Last edited by imariver; May 3rd, 2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:22 AM

S option omega

Originally Posted by imariver
Interesting, I bought a brand new Omega S from Fuller Cadillac in Rockland ME and I could have sworn it was a 75, but that was long time ago too.
I think the sales manager told me it had a Pontiac 350 engine in it. That sure was one eye grabbing car, wonder if it's still around anywhere.

I actually have a picture of it, taken by an old Vivatar Instamatic
The 1975 model is very different than the 1973-74 model. The S option was available in 74 but not 73 on the first generation Omega. There may have been an S option in 75 but I have never seen one so equipped.

Here is some pics of an original paint 1974 Omega S that I saw sitting in the Olympic Penninsula

URL=http://s37.photobucket.com/user/oldsmobiledave/media/Misc%20Parts%20and%20Cars/DSCN0380_zpsfe8a9c62.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; May 3rd, 2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 05:04 AM

Been a while since this Omega thread got a bump. I'll bump it. I know I'll probably regret this later but I sold my 77 Omega SX yesterday. It was a great car but, it's time to thin the herd. The new owner is MORE than happy to have it as his first car was a 77 Omega SX. He's talking about maybe painting it red but I hope he keeps it yellow. Luckily he lives near by so I can see it from time to time. Good luck Omega!
Old January 26th, 2015, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by red rag top
Been a while since this Omega thread got a bump. I'll bump it. I know I'll probably regret this later but I sold my 77 Omega SX yesterday. It was a great car but, it's time to thin the herd. The new owner is MORE than happy to have it as his first car was a 77 Omega SX. He's talking about maybe painting it red but I hope he keeps it yellow. Luckily he lives near by so I can see it from time to time. Good luck Omega!
Looks to much like a volarie! Sorry
Old March 24th, 2015, 09:53 PM

73 Omega

I see where they did not offer an Omega S in '73, can someone tell me if I had most of the items on my '73 that would have been on the '74 S?

As you can see I've got the rims, sport mirrors, bucket seats, floor shifter, 350 motor, body side molding.

I believe I'm missing the sport steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20150318_001.jpg (53.7 KB, 48 views)
73 omega 2.jpg (31.4 KB, 51 views)
WP_20150202_001.jpg (72.7 KB, 46 views)
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:29 AM

Stripes vs side moulding

Wouldn't the body side moulding interfere with the stripes used on the S package?
Old March 26th, 2015, 01:17 PM

Haven't been here in a while.

omega1.jpg

omega2.jpg
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:54 PM
"I reckon so!"

Perksolds, very nice car. Did it come with the magnum wheels?

72hardtop, Looks like it was loaded. A/C, PS PDB, buckets, console, delux interior, sports mirrors, etc. Is it a hatchback? i have a similar car myself.
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:55 PM

Have an 82 Omega with only 160 miles on it. It's up on Ebay.
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:33 PM

Ratchetmaster, yes, it's loaded and it's a hatchback. it's hard to see in the picture but it also has tilt steering wheel.

I'm trying to find the build sheet and looked under the rear seat, nothing there, can anyone suggest another place to look?
Attached Images
WP_20150620_001.jpg (377.3 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by 72hardtop; July 11th, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:28 AM

1973 Olds Omega KL3 Code

Kinda late to the conversation but I recently got myself into A 1973 Omega KL3 Code which is one of the 53 built in Van Nuys California for the Century Dealership. AKA Dr. Olds edition. It is The original Yellow with white top and its A Hatchback. Has the Original 350 Rocket 4 BBL dual exhaust drive train. Runs awesome and I couldnt be prouder of any car I have owned. It gets attention everywhere we go.
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:31 AM

1973 Olds Omega KL3 Code

omega dr olds.jpg My 73 KL3 Code Dr Olds Omega
Old November 25th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... Nice looking piece of Olds history...
Old November 25th, 2016, 10:31 AM

It gets attention everywhere we go.[/QUOTE]

The biggest comment I get with mine is . Don't see many/any of these anymore .
Welcome
Railguy

Quick Reply: How many of you have an Omega??