Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

throttle linkage

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM

throttle linkage

I was going to start up my starfire last night to drive it around since it was cold, and about the 2nd time i pumped the gas pedal, it went to the floor. I was like OH CRAP I knew what it was.
my shift linkage is rod actuated, and the bracket that holds it sheared in half.

this was because of the weird angle it was in to get it to work with the 455 and a holley 4010 (at least thats what I think..)
the previous owner had it that way and I was already looking for a way to fix it. Does anyone know of a company or kit that will convert my rod style into a cable style? I need this fast as my DD just took a dump, Im sorry I dont have a monkey to sit under the hood and control the throttle.
or has anyone done this before? im sure someone has some experiance..
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 66starfire
I was going to start up my starfire last night to drive it around since it was cold, and about the 2nd time i pumped the gas pedal, it went to the floor. I was like OH CRAP I knew what it was.
my shift linkage is rod actuated, and the bracket that holds it sheared in half.

this was because of the weird angle it was in to get it to work with the 455 and a holley 4010 (at least thats what I think..)
the previous owner had it that way and I was already looking for a way to fix it. Does anyone know of a company or kit that will convert my rod style into a cable style? I need this fast as my DD just took a dump, Im sorry I dont have a monkey to sit under the hood and control the throttle.
or has anyone done this before? im sure someone has some experiance..
Lokar and other street rod suppliers sell generic cable throttle kits, but they aren't cheap. I don't fully understand your problem, but wouldn't welding the broken bracket back together be the quickest way back on the road?
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM

thought about welding the bracket already. It wouldnt work, there is too much twisting torque on that area. My pedal is hinged at the bottom, and when you push it, it slides on a rollert on back that is pushed up, this pushes a rod up through the firewall, and connects to a rod that transmits it to a pull on the throttle on the carb.

to get a kit I would have to find a way to make it from PUSH activated to PULL activated pedal, which means another pedal, also my kickdown linkage is on the broken part, so no matter what I would ahve to get Lokar (or someone elses) elec kick down for a th400 which is like 60$ or so. And yea I did see a few linkage types on summit. just wondering though if anyone had a useful idea.
when i mean too much torque, there is too much torque, with pedal at WOT you cant get the braket back together by hand, thats how hard it is.
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Check to see if the throttle rod is too long.....they are adjustable. That would cause breakage. Also check to see if brace and rod is still mounted to the drivers side of intake manifold. without this breakage will result. The part you need is found on all big block B body Oldsmobiles from 65 to 67 with the tubo 400. Look on ROP as many people there have grabbed B bodies just for their engines and most likely have what you need for repair. The switch mechanism is pot metal so that cannot be fixed easily if at all. I have used Holley carbs and aftermarket intakes in my B bodies....never had a problem....something isnt right with your setup.
Old April 29th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Can you post pictures of what you have? That may help provide the answers you need. I've got the throttle linkage from one 1967 Olds 98 and two 1968 Delta 88's somewhere in my garage. If I can identify which one is the 65-67 I may be able to provide that, but you'll still need to find out why it broke this one. John