Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Some 62 olds options questions (rear defroster & trunk release)

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Some 62 olds options questions (rear defroster & trunk release)

I was fortunate enough to found some options and spare parts for a awesome deal. I wanted to ask about these two. I finally found a rear defroster unit for my 62 Starfire. I see how it all hooks up, but I am not sure where to plug in the 2 brown wires coming off the switch to the fuse block. Also, do you route the wires under the console to the rear? Which locations do I use?? Kind of a seldom seen option so I am glad I found one in working condition.

As for the trunk release.. It came with the glove box pull, and the trunk stuff. I found the vac can for the firewall somewhere else. Do I need a special trunk lock for the trunk release to work? Or do I just cut down the trunk lock shaft so it fits into the trunk vac release mech? How did you guys route the vac hose from the glove box? I wish the manuals covered this stuff but I didn't see it anywhere. Any info would be great! Something for me to tinker with during the winter months
Old August 4th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Oldsdruid

I had to go into the 1963 shop manual and eventually the 1964 to find anything on these and even then not much more than just a drawing of how the things mount. The 1964 book does have defogger dash wiring drawings so the defogger, even though the blower and vents are different, should wire up the same

Power trunk vacuum lines should route down the right side of the car, under the sill plate (you'll probably find another cover and trough when you pull the carpet back), under the RR armrest and into the trunk thru the bulkhead behind the rear seat back.

The defogger wiring routes down the LEFT side of the car, very likely the same as the right since I know the 1964 car has that trough and cover. It's powered thru the Heater-AC fuse which with defog should be replaced with a 25 amp fuse.

Your defog should have a brown wire with a short jumper section coming from the switch. Female end of the jumper should have two wires going into that plug and connects to the male terminal on the HVAC head; the other male end connects to the car's HVAC control power wire.

The other wire on the switch connects to the long power lead going to the rear of the car.

If you haven't already been on AACA with this question, go there and contact Starfireelvis as I think his car has defog and power trunk. I'll also PM you with his private email. If his car doesn't have it, there are a couple other 62 guys who do and I'm pretty sure he knows how to contact them.
Old August 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info!!! I think you needed to get a seperate manual for any accessories. I know my 56 chevy was that way.

For the trunk release, do I have to cut down the orig trunk lock shaft? I have a habit of making things much more complicated than they are.. but I like to be sure about stuff. I should take a picture of my stuff since other people may be interested in what this stuff looks like. I know I had NO IDEA what a rear defroster for this car looked like since it was so different from my 68 olds.

Thanks for the help! I will see what happens