Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Roof pillar emblems

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Roof pillar emblems

Are the roof pillar emblems on my Omega S double-sided taped on, or are they screwed in from behind? I need a new vinyl top installed but I'm not quite sure of these emblems.
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

More than likely they have 2 posts that go through piercings on the sail panel. Can't tell from the pic if you have the padded vinyl roof or not. From the ones I've pulled at the boneyard (up to 1975) they were held by speed nuts on those posts through the metal.
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
More than likely they have 2 posts that go through piercings on the sail panel. Can't tell from the pic if you have the padded vinyl roof or not. From the ones I've pulled at the boneyard (up to 1975) they were held by speed nuts on those posts through the metal.
Thanks, I didn't want to hear that though,lol. How do I get the inner plastic panels off?
Old March 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Dokks74
Thanks, I didn't want to hear that though,lol. How do I get the inner plastic panels off?
Not 100% on Omega, but I think you have to take the rear seat out so you have access to the inner sail panel trim. That's how my 72 works anyway. the side panel trim that goes up to the sail panel is fastened behind the seat upright and lower seat with screws. + There's a couple of phillips screws holding the upper sail panel that are visible. Do you have a CSM for your car?
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Not 100% on Omega, but I think you have to take the rear seat out so you have access to the inner sail panel trim. That's how my 72 works anyway. the side panel trim that goes up to the sail panel is fastened behind the seat upright and lower seat with screws. + There's a couple of phillips screws holding the upper sail panel that are visible. Do you have a CSM for your car?
No..
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:45 PM

OK Allan... I know you've got the reference for Wildaboutcars

Dokks74, before you start taking your interior apart look up the reference. I know some cars... not sure about yours, used barrel nuts to hold the sail panel emblems on. Those you carfully pry the emblem off and have to replace the clips with new ones to re-install. John
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442

Dokks74, before you start taking your interior apart look up the reference. I know some cars... not sure about yours, used barrel nuts to hold the sail panel emblems on. Those you carfully pry the emblem off and have to replace the clips with new ones to re-install. John
Yep, I've used barrel nuts on my "shark gills" on my 69 Nova.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442

John, would you believe there is no info (CSM or AM) on WAC for 74? So, no I got the references about the sail panel emblem from visiting the boneyard more than once. Good call on checking for barrel nuts, but I really think that was more for lower body emblems? With the exception of the glue on stuff, every sail panel emblem I've taken off required removal of the inner panel to access those retarded speed nuts on the emblem posts. Hope I'm wrong on this car, but I don't think I am.

I know that Kurt and Bob are working to get more info on WAC. If I had a 74 CSM or AM I would scan it and send it to them. I'm only helping promote the site as a free resource at this time. Hope it's not in conflict with C.O. policy. Please PM me and let me know if there are any issues.

Dokks74 If they are in with barrel nuts, you know how easy they will come out because you've done before. So if they don't? You know what that means.
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM

John, would you believe there is no info (CSM or AM) on WAC for 74? So, no I got the references about the sail panel emblem from visiting the boneyard more than once. Good call on checking for barrel nuts, but I really think that was more for lower body emblems? With the exception of the glue on stuff, every sail panel emblem I've taken off required removal of the inner panel to access those retarded speed nuts on the emblem posts. Hope I'm wrong on this car, but I don't think I am.

I know that Kurt and Bob are working to get more info on WAC. If I had a 74 CSM or AM I would scan it and send it to them. I'm only helping promote the site as a free resource at this time. Hope it's not in conflict with C.O. policy. Please PM me and let me know if there are any issues.

Dokks74 If they are in with barrel nuts, you know how easy they will come out because you've done before. So if they don't? You know what that means.
Yep, I certainly do know what that means, buddy. Wednesday and Thursday it's supposed to be in the high 50's or low 60's, so I'll back her out in the sunlight and give it a look-see. Probably wouldn't be a bad time to fire up the Nova either.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:31 PM

I,m pretty sure on my 74 Omega,not a hatch back like yours but they can not be accessed from the in side .They use those fasteners that just push on and are pretty hard to get off with out messing them up.The Oldsmobile script on the trunk lid uses the same thing.I couldn't find any good ones or new ones,but I found some good ones at a swope meet that wear'nt right there the same size and everything and I think they look better then the right ones.I bought a couple extra when I get a chance I'll post some pics.they're NOS with a little shelf wear.The pins that hold them on are are different I think I drilled an extra hole and then glued them on.
railguy
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM

For those interested, my pillar emblems were held on by barrel nuts.After I got the plastic parts of the interior out and got my hand back there, there is no way to access the posts, so I used a putty knife and out they came.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Here's the pic Of the back and front of My old one and the new one I used.Hope this helps.
railguy
Image03262012204901.jpg

Image03262012204941.jpg

Image03262012204957.jpg