Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Inside heater control

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:18 PM

Inside heater control

I have a 1963 Starfire that only the off button will catch. The rest of the buttons go in but will not stay in. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Old October 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Oldsdruid

How hard are the buttons to push?

My guess is the control head is dusty and gunked up after 50 years. Try taking it out of the dash and spraying a little WD40 or similar in the controls. Once you have it out of the dash you'll see how the latch bar and rotary selector valve work.

Try to do it without removing the vacuum lines from the control head. If you have to do that, mark each one carefully as to where it goes.
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info and I will do what you recommended. Also when I push the buttons nothing works not even the blower. I know it's run by vacuum and I have checked to make sure I have vacuum on it. I can move the lever on the outside of the blower housing and the blower will come on. It's like the control inside is not letting vacuum through to control any of the diaphragms. I am new to this setup so any help is greatly appreciated.
Old October 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
How hard are the buttons to push?

My guess is the control head is dusty and gunked up after 50 years. Try taking it out of the dash and spraying a little WD40 or similar in the controls. Once you have it out of the dash you'll see how the latch bar and rotary selector valve work.

Try to do it without removing the vacuum lines from the control head. If you have to do that, mark each one carefully as to where it goes.
The buttons are very easy to push but looking up in the dash I can see that the slides will not come out far enough to catch the latch. I have sprayed the slides to no prevail. Is there any adjustment on the spring loaded latch or is it something I may not know about. I'm lost for words on how it to describe the problem but hopefully this will help along with the other post. Thanks for you're time and courtesy.