Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Head bolts for 79 Omega 3.8

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2019, 04:17 PM

Head bolts for 79 Omega 3.8

Hi all new to forum but was happy finding a forum for the classic oldsmobiles not many around. I recently picked up a 79 Omega 2dr base coupe with the 231 (3.8) V6 and TH350 trans. Car is not in to bad of shape 85k original miles needs body work but goes down the road like a champ aside from a misfire issue that after the routine tune up was done vac advance etc was all checked went and did a compression test and found all but one cylinder are around 140-142 psi and the odd one out is at 90psi. After one of my more computer savvy friends put a seriously small camera in the plug hole we found it has a burnt valve gaskets and valves are easy to get but I cannot for the life of me find head bolts at all found a head stud kit for a 84 regal 3.8 but not much on interchange. I have been told just reuse the bolts and I have in the past with a 72 cutlass I had when young and dumb and never had an issue but thought I would see what those a bit more experienced than myself might think or know possibly where to get the ever elusive bolts lol. My dad has been scratching his head for about a week trying to for certain think of what other year, make etc is a for sure match but think his 5 year retirement and not having worked on older vehicles much since the early 2000's has caught up (after turning wrenches for 42 years can't expect him to remember everything despite working at an olds dealer for 15 years I thought he would pop off with it instantly lol) Any info is much appreciated
Old June 2nd, 2019, 04:36 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Unless you can see physical damage to the bolt/threads, reuse the original bolts...
Old June 8th, 2019, 05:55 AM

Thanks the search for new one's has turned up nothing. Now to find torque sequence and spec's lol I hate not having the shop manual for this thing most online search results are for the newer 3.8 motors and not much help
Old June 8th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Olds Fever

Head bolt torque is 80 FT/LBS and Intake is 45 FT/LBS... Sequence is shown in photos below... If you are interested in purchasing a 1979 Chassis Service Manual, I may have a spare in storage... Where are you located??

Last edited by CRUZN 66; June 8th, 2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old June 8th, 2019, 04:12 PM

Unless one shows a specific problem, re-use the head bolts. Consider replacing the timing chain, both gears and the oil pump (kit) if it has around 100K on it.

Good luck!!!
Old June 8th, 2019, 08:03 PM

Awesome thanks so much. I found a manual on ebay but not sure if it's a full shop manual or basic deal that doesn't go into specifics. I'm in upstate NY near the Canadian border to montreal. And Sugar Bear have new chain and gears on order new oil pump and cam and lifters as well if I have to getinto the motor decided I'm going to make sure all is good and up to par never been one to do one major thing then have something I knew I should have changed give out after and take the motor out lol bit more of a project than planned but car is worth it.
Old July 13th, 2019, 12:21 PM

good head bolts

Originally Posted by Skribble93
Thanks the search for new one's has turned up nothing. Now to find torque sequence and spec's lol I hate not having the shop manual for this thing most online search results are for the newer 3.8 motors and not much help
Go to Fastenal if you have one in your area. I got mine there for a L-37 straight eight.
Old July 13th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Coming into this thread late, but just so we're all clear, the head bolts on that vintage 231 V6 are not torque-to-yield like they are on newer cars. It is both acceptable and expected to reuse the original head bolts unless they are damaged. That's why replacements are not readily available - there is no market because they are not normally replaced.
Old July 15th, 2019, 02:37 AM

I appreciate all the input from everyone. Cleaned and reused the old bolts which with it being an older car I had originally planned my dad had the thought of just seeing if new were available so figured I would be sure whether or not they were. He waited till after I was irritated from searching to say just use the old ones if they are fine that's all we ever did back then their not like new cars and have to be replaced each time. Gotta love having a mechanic for a dad lol sometimes he enjoys sending me on a goose chase whilst knowing otherwise reminds me of snipe hunting. Car is back together and running still has a slight skip under power and compression on the one cylinder came up a bit but not to match the rest thinking a stuck or worn ring from a wet/dry compression test comparison going to address fuel delivery to make sure pump and all is doing it's job and holds pressure if skip stays I forsee a V8 in the future