Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

63-f85 transmission leaks

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2018, 06:41 AM

63-f85 transmission leaks

Well I've got a handle on the cooling system, the oil leaks are about done and now to deal with my transmission leaks. As it turns out I'm leaking from where the oil lines go into the radiator. They spray out when car is hot and under load, hit the fan and make a huge mess. I've tightened the lines to where I am uncomfortable to tighten them anymore without breaking something. I understand that these are compression fittings--does anyone have any experience repairing them or should I just cut the lines and go with a rubber line and new fittings altogether?

Much obliged!
Old May 31st, 2018, 10:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dbaum
Well I've got a handle on the cooling system, the oil leaks are about done and now to deal with my transmission leaks. As it turns out I'm leaking from where the oil lines go into the radiator. They spray out when car is hot and under load, hit the fan and make a huge mess. I've tightened the lines to where I am uncomfortable to tighten them anymore without breaking something. I understand that these are compression fittings--does anyone have any experience repairing them or should I just cut the lines and go with a rubber line and new fittings altogether?

Much obliged!

They are not "compression fittings", they are inverted flare fittings, just like your brake lines. Are you sure the leak is between the radiator fitting and the line nut, or is it actually a leak where the radiator fitting is soldered into the bottom tank?

If it's really the screw connection, unscrew the lines, inspect for dirt or scratches on the flares on both sides, and consider using one of the new aftermarket flare polishing tools (such as sold by Eastwood) to hone the finish of the flare in the tube.

I'll also pass on a little secret that I'm not really proud of. In a couple of cases where I could not get an inverted flare to seal (primarily at the fuel line to carb fitting joint), I've inserted an appropriately sized silicone O-ring into the fitting before installing the tube and flare nut. Be careful tightening to avoid forcing the O-ring out of place. You can also get tapered copper crush washers to help seal this type of fitting.