Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

62 Starfire Cooling System Pressure

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM

62 Starfire Cooling System Pressure

I am just starting to drive my car. The radiator was disassembled, rodded and both tanks re-attached. I have new t-stat, hoses, coolant, new temp. sensor and a new radiator cap from Fusick. I had some air in the system. The car was running hot. I removed the t-stat and now the car is building too much pressure. The top radiator hose is solid and coolant is leaking at the hose, even though the hose clamp is very tight. No coolant has excaped from the cap.
Also, the green Cold light on the dash never goes out.
Is the cap defective?
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Most auto parts stores have a radiator cap tester. Have yours tested. I believe the pressure cap should be rated from 13 to 15 lbs. Put the thermostat back in and burp the radiator. Leave the cap off and run it for a several minutes you will see the water start to flow as the stat opens and the water will push the air out then put the cap back on and you should be good to go. Do this first before you start to replace parts
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Administrator

You may have to stick the water hose down in the radiator to push the air bubble through.
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:23 AM

Thanks. I will have the cap tested. I need to flush the system one more time anyway. Still have some brown stuff floating around that came from the block. I read a trick recently about t-stats. There was someone who drilled an 1/8" hole in the t-stat plate when he installed a new one. This allowed any air to escape without affecting the opening and closing of the t-stat.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by tpawlik
Thanks. I will have the cap tested. I need to flush the system one more time anyway. Still have some brown stuff floating around that came from the block. I read a trick recently about t-stats. There was someone who drilled an 1/8" hole in the t-stat plate when he installed a new one. This allowed any air to escape without affecting the opening and closing of the t-stat.

Thermostats were never intended to have holes drilled in them for any reason and properly cleaned cooling systems should never run without a Thermostat. Temperatures for correct cooling if operating efficiently should be 190 - 195 Degree Stats.
Always fill your system slowly to reduce air pockets and Bubbles in your system.