Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1970 cutlass (flat-top) wagon

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Question 1970 cutlass (flat-top) wagon

Does anyone know much about these? I'm the third owner of one and Iv'e been looking around everywhere to find another one like it and have had NO luck at all. are they rare or what? please help me out. Thank you, Scot w.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
our digital pictures 624.jpg (25.9 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg
our digital pictures 627.jpg (35.3 KB, 55 views)
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

Hi Scot,
There is a '72 on the cars-on-line website. I have been looking for a 68-72 Vista Cruiser and run across flat-tops once in a great while. They are rare, will let you know if I see any '70's around. Like to know more about yours too.

Allan
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM

What is it worth??

I was wondering what this car is really worth due to there only being 7,771 made? Everything on the car works! from all the marker lights to all the dash lights, the power window in back and it's a very solid southern car. all the glass is in great shape, no cracks in the dash. with 127,289mi on it and all the orriginal paper work from the window sticker, to when it was alligned in 72' and had exhaust work done in 93' by the orriginal owner. I'm the third owner. Anyone have any idea as to what it's worth?? Scot w.
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Registered

Unfortunately rarity doesn't always translate to value with cars. I doubt if a flat-top would ever be worth more than a more common Vista Cruiser. Could be if it was some sort of special order or very highly optioned. How is the paint and interior, run good? I have seen them for 2-4 grand in that condition. Check the NADA and gold book sites for values.

Just my two cents worth, take it for what its worth.
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM

hello i just posted one 72 dark green one or call me 941 232 0298

Originally Posted by scot w.
Does anyone know much about these? I'm the third owner of one and Iv'e been looking around everywhere to find another one like it and have had NO luck at all. are they rare or what? please help me out. Thank you, Scot w.
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM
BobsW32

1970 Flat Top Wagon

I have a 1970 Flat Top wagon ...... It currently has 23,000 miles on it . I purchased it with 14,000 miles on it and it is like the day it rolled off the assembly line//// I have been under the dash to fix the radio and we removed the front seat and reinforced it for my senior stature......and everything even the bare steel under the dash and in the seat are like brand new....NO RUST.....It is a Steering, Brake, and Factory Air car....Unbelievable car.....

If anyone is interested I am contemplating selling this to make room in the garage as I have recently retired
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Whoa, flat tops coming out of the woodwork! Phil, it sounds like you've already created a new car for sale post, Bob if you decide to go that way please create one as well. This is an old post. John
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM

This may be a dumb question but why is it specified as a flat top...I mean how is it different? I guess I don't understand the concept...LOL, sorry.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Joeypete
This may be a dumb question but why is it specified as a flat top...I mean how is it different? I guess I don't understand the concept...LOL, sorry.
There are no dumb questions here. There may be some dumb answers though.

It's because the top is flat.
I'm not sure when they started using the term or if it's because the top is flat or to distinguish them from other more curved early wagon roofs.

In Olds/Buick terms The Vista Cruisers and Sportwagons had a bump-up in the back and the windows in the roof, so anything without is considered a "flat top" in the same year range. The "long roof" term is also used for wagons.

Last edited by Bluevista; August 17th, 2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM

A picture of our LongTop, or FlatTop, the Silver Bullet. Fun car. Juju likes to ride in it more than the '92 CC on trips! The '68 has no windows in the top, thus no Vista Cruiser.
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the clarification! I did a little reading about them. I guess there was a Cutlass Cruiser back then too and that is the flat top? The Vista Cruiser obviously had the vista roof and then the Custom Cruiser was based on the 98?

I was a little confused at first because even my 86 Custom Cruiser has a bump in the roof so I wasn't sure what they were talking about...haha
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for the clarification! I did a little reading about them. I guess there was a Cutlass Cruiser back then too and that is the flat top? The Vista Cruiser obviously had the vista roof and then the Custom Cruiser was based on the 98?

I was a little confused at first because even my 86 Custom Cruiser has a bump in the roof so I wasn't sure what they were talking about...haha
Correct. For 1964-1972 the A-body line had both the flattop wagon and the Vista Cruiser. The Vista had a longer wheelbase than the flattop, 120" vs 115" for the 64-67 cars and 121" vs. 116" for the 68-72 cars. The extra length was all in the back doors (these are unique to the VC) and was incorporated to allow the third seat to face forward. On most wagons (including my 84 Custom Cruiser) the third seat faces rearward to allow the rear axle to fit between the seatback of the second seat and the seatback of the third seat. On the VC the extra length allowed the third seat to be in front of the rear axle, thus it could face forward. Note that the "full size" 77-90 Custom Cuiser only had a 116" wheelbase - same as the earlier A-body cars. This was "downsizing" in action.
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
...Note that the "full size" 77-90 Custom Cuiser only had a 116" wheelbase - same as the earlier A-body cars. This was "downsizing" in action.
Too bad that such a grand vehicle had to be downsized so much.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Too bad that such a grand vehicle had to be downsized so much.
Actually, the reason why I like mine so much is that it is just about the same size as a 1960s A-body wagon. The A-body has always felt "right" to me.
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, the reason why I like mine so much is that it is just about the same size as a 1960s A-body wagon. The A-body has always felt "right" to me.
Thank you for the other info as well...

I agree it's a pretty good size. I mean it's still HUGE by today's standards...for cars anyhow. I'm glad that wagons are coming back in again...not as big as they were, but the concept is the same.

What makes me laugh is a couple of my friend's have said "what a boat!" and they drive full size pick ups...which are almost as long! Funny how people's perceptions change...lol.
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thank you for the other info as well...

I agree it's a pretty good size. I mean it's still HUGE by today's standards...for cars anyhow. I'm glad that wagons are coming back in again...not as big as they were, but the concept is the same.

What makes me laugh is a couple of my friend's have said "what a boat!" and they drive full size pick ups...which are almost as long! Funny how people's perceptions change...lol.
Yeah, just park it next to an Excursion...