Trunk release - 1965

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2006, 10:59 PM

Trunk release - 1965

I just bought a 1965 Cutlass F-85. I didn't check the trunk while I was looking at the car and now that I bought it I can't open it. I have the key but seller said it is supposed to be finessed using it. The trunk release button in the glove compartment doesn't work. What do I have to do to get that trunk release button to work?
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Past Administrator

If that button is electric you need to make sure all your fuses are good and then make sure you have good wiring to the button and have 12 volts to it. If you do then make sure that there isn't damaged wiring from the button to the trunk. It is most likely routed down the passenger side under the stainless door sill strips. If the wiring has been damaged then that might be why the fuse which supplies that circuit has blown if you found a blown fuse earlier and it kept blowing when you replaced it. At any rate if you do all that and the trunk release still doesn't work remove the back panel of the back seat and see if you can get a really small neigbor kid to squeeze through one of those holes and operate the realease from inside the trunk. Of course run a drop light in there first. If junk or a spare tire is in the way then your hosed. All it takes to operate a trunk release from inside is a small straight blade screwdriver on most GM cars. If all that does'nt work, or you might try this first, get a new key cut from the old one, the finessing the PO described might be due to the worn key and a new one might work.
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:22 PM

I'll have to give that a look-see. The PO gave me a second set of copied keys for the doors and trunk and I can't get that one to work either. Though, I think I was told that it is vacuum operated. I've been perusing the http://www.tocmp.com website in the wiring diagrams and I can't find the trunk release button. What I do know is that when I do get that trunk open it's going to be time to replace that lock.

Thanks for the reply.
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah, I was thinking in the back of my mind that it might be vaccum but thought that was only the B bodies. If it is, it could be a vaccum leak anywhere...
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:03 PM

Believe it or not, I've gotten trunk and door locks to work by spraying WD-40 into the key hole. I guess the elements create friction that the key sometimes can't overcome.

Let us know the resolution.