Starter question

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2020, 07:28 AM

Starter question

Hello, need advice on best way to prevent starter heat soak. Which is better, shield vs blanket? What are your thoughts? Also can anyone advise if it would be worth it to install mini starter in order to reduce distance from exhaust manifold/pipe? I have a 72 supreme with stock 350
Old April 14th, 2020, 08:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, there is no insulation or heat shield that is 100% effective. Eventually, the temperature will be the same on both sides of the shield or insulation. Worse, once the starter does heat up, the insulation delays cool down.

The real reason for the GM hot start problem is too much resistance in the start circuit. The purple wire runs from the battery to the firewall connector to the ignition switch to the NSS to the firewall connector to the starter solenoid. In addition, any pitting on the disc or contacts inside the starter, or worn brushes in the starter, will further increase resistance. Finally, the ground path is as important as the power path. If you are missing the starter support strap, the return now has to go from the steel starter case to the aluminum nose piece to the iron block. Galvanic corrosion between the steel and aluminum also increase resistance. The right answer is to ensure that everything in that circuit is clean and making good contact to minimize voltage drop. That includes the firewall connector. This is free but time consuming. Most people would rather buy a new starter or band-aid a F**d starter solenoid.
Old April 14th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
First, there is no insulation or heat shield that is 100% effective. Eventually, the temperature will be the same on both sides of the shield or insulation. Worse, once the starter does heat up, the insulation delays cool down.

The real reason for the GM hot start problem is too much resistance in the start circuit. The purple wire runs from the battery to the firewall connector to the ignition switch to the NSS to the firewall connector to the starter solenoid. In addition, any pitting on the disc or contacts inside the starter, or worn brushes in the starter, will further increase resistance. Finally, the ground path is as important as the power path. If you are missing the starter support strap, the return now has to go from the steel starter case to the aluminum nose piece to the iron block. Galvanic corrosion between the steel and aluminum also increase resistance. The right answer is to ensure that everything in that circuit is clean and making good contact to minimize voltage drop. That includes the firewall connector. This is free but time consuming. Most people would rather buy a new starter or band-aid a F**d starter solenoid.
That ^^ was brilliantly worded. That is excellent advice on maintaining the least resistance in both + & - pathways.
Old April 14th, 2020, 09:27 AM

My Recipe

I always install oversize battery cables.
Be sure the grounds everywhere are clean and tight.
Battery must be 100%.
Starter should be a high torque version with a high heat solenoid.
Timing must be set to specs.

With this recipe, I have never had a hot start issue on any car I have owned.

PS - Listen to Joe, he knows!
Old April 14th, 2020, 10:13 AM

Thanks will probably just replace starter
Old April 14th, 2020, 11:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by denf221
Thanks will probably just replace starter
Of course you will...
Old April 14th, 2020, 11:11 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Check column D, all the above.
These vehicles were engineered to operate within specified ambient and underhood temps.
Heat mitigation helps but its a bandaid. Remember these cars worked just fine when new through their average life expectancy of 3-5 years. So at 50, these systems will need your attention.

As a vehicle ages so do all of its electrical components and electrical connections.
This degradation increases resistance which requires everything to work harder or beyond its designed specifications.

The additive recipe is simple....Apply normal degradation, bad connections, add high ambient and engine heat, what you get is a poorly operating starting and charging system.
Solenoid discs build carbon each time the starter is engaged. The brushes wear the commutator down and expel carbon dust. All can be considered wear items. The bearing lubrication breaks down making the component harder to rotate.

As mentioned clean all connections. Test starters and alternators. Open them up, clean, inspect, regrease, rebuild as needed.
Test (Ohm) and visually inspect battery cables. If they are original and brittle they should be replaced with OEM or equivalent. Wire insulation and the copper conductor ages and has a shelf life. The same goes for rotating components in the starter and alternator(and the VR if it's mechanical).

The first thing everyone likes to replace without testing is the battery. Load test your battery step 1! A 3000CCA battery will not be able to overcome high resistance(insert smoke show).

Starter blankets never made sense to me. They hold in the heat soak. A heat shield works for reflecting radiant exhaust heat until heat soak saturation happens.

I mitigated my hot start problems by freshening up all the above components.
I eliminated/plugged the exhaust gas crossover in the intake and removed the thermal flap in the driver's ex mani.
I also added a 20" exhaust pipe heat blanket around the head pipe from the pipe flange down past the bend past the starter. This will at least keep the exhaust radiant heat at bay.
Old April 14th, 2020, 02:46 PM

Not sure what you were getting at with” of course you will” but I understand what you are saying. I have had the car about 15 yrs and have never replaced the starter/alternator for all I know they are original or at least very old. Battery terminals/battery/ ground wire to block are all new, will keep going and see what happens.
Old April 14th, 2020, 02:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Not sure what you were getting at with” of course you will” but I understand what you are saying. I have had the car about 15 yrs and have never replaced the starter/alternator for all I know they are original or at least very old. Battery terminals/battery/ ground wire to block are all new, will keep going and see what happens.
What I am getting at is that replacing the starter does not attack the root of the problem, which is high resistance at each of the connections in the starter circuit and the resulting voltage drop at the solenoid. That's painstaking, unglamorous work and no one ever wants to do it. I'm not talking about the battery cable (though that's a part of it). I'm talking about checking and cleaning every terminal from the firewall connector to the ignition switch to the NSS to the firewall connector to the starter solenoid. If any of those are bad, a new starter may not fix the problem. Yeah, it is also likely that the starter solenoid contacts and brushes are worn or pitted also. You can check those pretty easily by pulling the cover off the end of the starter and the solenoid. Many people who simply throw in a new starter without addressing the voltage drop issue continue to have the hot start problem, and then usually do the Ford solenoid band-aid. Yeah, that will likely fix the problem, but again, it wasn't really necessary. Your money and time, your call.

Old April 15th, 2020, 06:11 AM

Understood, thank you, last question, NSS?
Old April 15th, 2020, 06:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Understood, thank you, last question, NSS?
Neutral Safety Switch
Old April 15th, 2020, 06:56 AM

Thanks