Sanden-style compressor belt

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2021, 08:49 AM

Sanden-style compressor belt

Hey folks,
I finally got my compressor out of storage and installed it with the Classic Auto Air front-of-head mounted bracket but I'm having trouble finding a belt that hits the sweet spot. I've got a 455 with the small block pulleys (matched set). Anyone else running the same combo know what belt I should order?
This Gates belt is 15/32" instead of the correct 13/32" so it stands a little proud of the pulleys but is the closest I've been able to come, locally. It's 63-3/8" O.C.

Napa has belts that are the correct 13/32" but can't come close to the correct length.

Old April 10th, 2021, 04:10 PM

Huh. Gates sure makes it hard to find a v-belt reference for automotive belts.
Here's an old one someone is hosting:
https://www.rx7club.com/attachments/...art-number.pdf

You want a XL v belt with an HC41 cross section (3/8 top width).

I usually find the best length, then check prices for belts slightly longer and slightly shorter. There's usually a 50%-100% price difference within just a few inches of length.
Old April 13th, 2021, 09:34 AM

Thanks @oddball , I've been narrowing it down and now just waiting on an order from Summit. And you're right, the price variance is huge!
But are you sure about the 3/8" top width? I tried a 3/8 but it seemed very small, smaller than the stock replacements I have for the alternator and power steering. Those are 13/16" top width.
I'm also being a little picky about the length. I don't really want the compressor way out against the wheel well, or too far in. I'm shooting for the middle of the adjustment.
What I have coming from Summit is a 13/16" X 63.08". Not a Gates though. Summit doesn't carry Gates, that I could find.
Old April 13th, 2021, 03:10 PM

The Sanden-style Tuff Stuff compressor has a single black wire, which I assume is power. But the stock wiring has a ground, also. Should I ground it to the compressor or the chassis? It's been a few years since I've had the AC installed.
Old April 14th, 2021, 07:52 AM

The stock harness just has a little pigtail for the ground that you connect to one of the mount bolts. The newer compressors just connect the ground pigtail on the compressor for you, so the only wire is the power wire.
Old April 14th, 2021, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
The stock harness just has a little pigtail for the ground that you connect to one of the mount bolts. The newer compressors just connect the ground pigtail on the compressor for you, so the only wire is the power wire.
That's what I thought. Thanks for verifying, oddball.
I have a belt that fits the way I want it to now. It's an AC Delco 15619. It's 13/32" x 62-5/8". It's the shortest I could get on there without having to pry too much (using fingers) but it fits real nice. I'd forgotten how long a run that is to the crank. 😲

Last edited by Macadoo; April 14th, 2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old April 14th, 2021, 08:46 AM

And my birthday was the other day. The wife got me the fancy schmancy chrome cover for the compressor. Not sure it's worth $50 but it sure looks nice!