parade boot option?

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM

parade boot option?

With all these recent questions about the parade boot (convertible top boot cover) I was wondering if it was a standard option on a convertible. All the documentation I have does not list it as a factory or a dealer option. Did all convertibles come with a parade boot? Its not on the option list and I don't remember seeing it in the assembly manual either
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM
Oldsdruid

All convertibles came with a soft vinyl top boot that was matched either to the interior color or the car color. The "parade boot" is correctly a fiberglass or metal boot cover that allows parade participants to sit and ride on it in parades- go figure. It was painted to match the car.

Olds rarely offered the parade boot; I've seen them only for 71-75 Delta convertibles and not for the A-body ragtops. General consensus is that even then they were offered only by Buick and Cadillac though they will fit those years Olds, Pontiac and Chevrolet.

To my knowledge hard boots for 50s-60s Cadillac do not fit the other GM cars, though they might work on a Ninety Eight or Electra.
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:48 PM

wow, I never stop learning, I thought the "parade boot" was the soft vinyl boot cover. Did not know there was a hard and soft version. But either way neither is listed as an option anywhere that I have looked. Did the soft vinyl come in the trunk when delivered from the factory?
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Did the soft vinyl come in the trunk when delivered from the factory?
Yes, and they usually had some sort of storage bag to put it in.
I had mine stored in the trunk at a car show, and I left the trunk open also. A couple young kids were back there softly commenting that it was a "body bag"...
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

By the way, "standard option" is an oxymoron.

Something is either standard equipment or it's an option.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Yes, and they usually had some sort of storage bag to put it in.
I had mine stored in the trunk at a car show, and I left the trunk open also. A couple young kids were back there softly commenting that it was a "body bag"...
The truth finally comes out.

It's a thick black plastic garbage bag looking thing, body bags are longer.
I've turned down a few parade invites where the dignitaries wanted to ride in my GTO sitting back there.
I don't want any butts on my boot or feets on my seats.

I've had some idiot car show judges think the bag with the boot in it was a bag of garbage and asked me to take it out so they could see if if I was hiding a hole in the trunk floor or something.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
By the way, "standard option" is an oxymoron.

Something is either standard equipment or it's an option.
But in the car world an option *can* be standard. Just depends on how you want to consider it. Some "options" are "standard" with certain models.

And some "stantard" equipment is indeed optional. Heater delete.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:19 AM
...should get a life....

Cut it out Kurt.....you're doing my head in (I'll go with any option coming from the factory being standard)
I've learnt something here too. Like Steven I thought a soft boot was a parade boot. Such a pain in the butt to put on you'd only bother in a parade situation.
Blue: I had the Aust'n 6 hour race Renault Drivers Team perched in the back of mine. Made sure I had a thick towell for the back seat and all was good.
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:34 AM
One of None W-31

[quote=Col Wickham;203620] Like Steven I thought a soft boot was a parade boot. Such a pain in the butt to put on you'd only bother in a parade situation.quote]

Man isn't that the truth. Everytime I put the top down I think, hmmm, sure would look nicer with the boot on, then I think of the work involved just to drive down to the store or wherever and think, "It's just too much of a hassle." Then I think to myself, "why did I ever buy the thing to begin with if I'm not going to use it?"

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; September 4th, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:07 AM
...should get a life....

I hear you. I was used to the one on the 67 vert I had for a short time which was attached permanently in the well behind the rear seat. Just had to pull it out and clip all the studs. Literally 2 minutes. This one is a whole new ballgame. I'm only going to use it for shows because of the hassle.
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:35 AM

once it is in the rail its not that bad, as people have mentioned you just store it in the well when the top is up but need to remember to pull it out when you put the top down. once you clip it in a few times, it gets easier.
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The boot is one of my pet peeves. When I put the top down, I alway put it on. I have never had a problem with the one on my 72 Cutlass. I bought it from Tamraz a long time ago. To me if you don't put the boot on, the car is not fully dressed. I remember in 1964 when I bought my 60 Impala convertible, it did not have the boot. That was one of the first things I bought. Of course, that is just me.
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Boot material

Doe's anyone know if the original factory boot for a 72 cutlass has just the soft material where the snaps are located,or doe's it have a stiff cardboard there?I thought my original boot was all material because it was easy to stretch and snap.It took about 2 min to get the boot on and in place .I just bought a boot from OPGI and it took two grown men 6 min to get it on with alot of pulling.Its too small and has a stiff cardboard where the snaps are so it can not be stretched down to snap on.Is there a place I can get an original style boot without the stiff cardboard like material where the clips are? Thanks
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:45 AM
...should get a life....

The one I bought from The Parts Place does fit. It is reinforced with a plastic type material in the snap area and is quite stiff. It didn't want to snap on at first either. Then I replaced the snaps on the car with some screw in ones I got from the hardware and it worked fine. The old ones were a bit worn and the new ones on the boot wouldn't grab hold.
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am confused when you guys talk about snaps. My 72 Cutlass has no snaps. The boot has a rim of firm plastic sewn in all the way around the outside edge. It simply tucks in under the chrome around the opening. It works great. As I mentioned, I bought it from Tamraz years ago and it has worked perfect. I need to replace the foam on the bottom side since it is getting old and has dried out. Otherwise it is still perfect.
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM

there are two snaps in the interior of the car on each side on the part that covers the lift cylinders. The part of the parade boot that hangs over that has snaps that connect so it doesn't flap in the wind. In this picture they are should be one above the screw you can see and another one on the left side near the seat back. I'll look for a picture that has them, there not on my car because they are just another part the body shop forgot to install back onto the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
parade boot snaps missing.jpg (44.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by stevengerard; September 19th, 2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM

There are some snaps on the sides that connect the boot to the inner quarter trim tops.

Now after having the car 3 years and ~finally~ reading the manual, I can get the top all the way down so that the boot will even go on.
I never thought of having to pull the pads and top fabric out of the hinges when putting the top down.

My boot will be for parade or show only. If on long drives, it will stay off in case of the (seemingly usual) rain shower that occures when driving... Happened again yesterday.
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM

yes, you need to take the boot out of the well first then put the top down. Start with putting the boot on in the back middle sliding the plastic under the trim and work around both sides. Then snap either side down. Takes a bit of time but as it stretches and you get used to the routine it becomes a 3-5 minute procedure.
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess I forgot about the snaps on the inside. Yes I have those. Funny how we all have our pet peeves. I won't hardly drive around the block without the boot on my car. Different strokes for different folks.
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:28 PM

I left the boot on for a few days to stretch out and now its easy to get on.Question on door panels.I need the 2 door panels and wonder where I can get a pair that I can just put on,its already put together with carpet bottom.Previous owner put on a bad looking set with out the woodgrain.Are the panels from fusick,yr one,opgi,all the same quality and look original? Thanks
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:45 PM

yes you can get door panels from any of the vendors. I bought complete panels and then took the old trim off of mine and put it on the new ones. Not sure about now but when I bought them some items were a bit different than the originals and I'm sure there are details of your 72 that differ from my 70. ALso even though I bouth the interior at the same time the fake woodgrain is a different shade on the front than on the back - so expect that to happen especially if yours are faded. May want to think about buying front and back panels and then making sure they match
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by craftsman1956
I need the 2 door panels and wonder where I can get a pair that I can just put on,its already put together with carpet bottom.
Legendary sells a good set, in both unassembled or preassembled kits.
Both have the carpet installed though.

I saved some $ by getting the unassembled ones but adding the metal top rails was a bit challenging. Came out nice though!
Here is what I went through...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post162232
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM

door panels

I bought mine from Legendary on 4/12/11 so I don't have them yet,leg needs to fix broken fiberglass on top of rear panels,int uphl is next.