Manual Window not Going All The Way To The Top

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2021, 06:21 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

Manual Window not Going All The Way To The Top

Hi,
New member here. I just bought a 1964 Cutlass F-85 Convertible. I had one many years ago, and I'm back.
I'm having a problem with the window on the passenger door, it does not quite to go the top, there is maybe 1/8 of an inch of space
at the top toward the front of the car. Almost big enough to stick the tip of your finger in. This causes the wind to whistle and howl when you are on the highway with the windows up.
I'm not a full on mechanic but I took the door panel off and was able to get the window almost to the top (higher than before) but when you close the door, or bang on the panel, the window comes back down to 1/8 of an inch again.
Regardless when I put it back together (both times) the problem is exactly as before I started.

Anyone have any ideas. Is the regulator on the way out??? This is my suspicion, but again, not a mechanic.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by rickrock999; March 18th, 2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 18th, 2021, 08:54 PM

You are certain the weatherstripping is in the right spot and the window truly does not come up enough, correct?
Old March 18th, 2021, 10:04 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

I never got the window completely up as compared to the other one on the driver side which you can see lines up with the little rubber piece at the top
When I had the door panel off I could get it up very close to the top. but not all the way, but like I said it would slide back to where it started when you close the door.
When I banged on the panel a little I could see the window crank move a little as the window went down, then I could crank it back up to (almost) the top again. But when I put it back together it was the same as when I started.
I can take a pics tomorrow to show.
Old March 19th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

Here is the picture. You can see the corner of the window in the rubber guide on the right is not at the top as it is on the other side.
Old March 19th, 2021, 06:22 PM

There should be an "up stop" on the front window track that you use to adjust the travel of the glass. It needs to go up a bit more. Also one stop at the rear track within the rear channel. Possibly 7/16" bolt head for both.
Old March 20th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

Thanks for the info. Would I see these by removing the door panel, or are they on the other side?
I don't have much experience with this, and can't find anywhere else that explains it. Thanks.
Old March 20th, 2021, 05:09 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

I took the door panel off again and tried many different adjustments without any luck. When you grab the frame of the window through the door frame there is play on both sides. I could not find any adjustment to get rid of the play. I can now get the window all the way to the top, but with the play the window comes down to 1/8 of an inch when you close the door. When I manually move the window up and down as far as the play will let me, the window handle moves with it. So I can push the window down with my hands, then roll it up again, but it does not stay with any banging. (like when the door closes. Here is the door panel. Anyone know where the up /down adjustments are? ,

The Bottom of the frame comes up above the window line on the side toward the back of the car. Could not find any way to adjust that. See Below.

At this point I am willing to pay someone to fix this for me but where do I go? Called a couple of places and they don't deal in old cars at all. Anyone know a good window place in the SF Valley or L.A area?
Old March 22nd, 2021, 05:18 PM

That bolt at the top of the slotted hole should come downward a bit. It is holding one end of a slotted channel that the window scissors slide in. That helps to adjust up and down. There should be ell shaped brackets on the inside of the door to adjust travel full up or full down. The bolts are visible on this side.Near the bottom is a nut with large washer to adjust the top of the window in or out. A '68 door is a little different and that is what I am more familiar with. Door and window adjustments are so exciting, just relax and you will get through this.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 07:08 AM
Crusin in my 6-4

Thanks for the Info Yellow Statue. I will check it out and see what I can do.
Just to confirm the bolt at the top of the slotted hole is this one.?

Old March 23rd, 2021, 03:23 PM

Yes. As the bolt goes down the opposite end of that scissor goes up. While you are in there browsing, lube the two tracks and anything else that looks dry and needs lube.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 03:57 PM
Running On Empty

If you have not done so already, use a mirror to gain a general overall picture/image of the hardware located behind the metal door panel. Use the mirror to better gain a visualization of the hardware you are adjusting so as to better become acquainted with what adjusts what.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Yes. As the bolt goes down the opposite end of that scissor goes up. While you are in there browsing, lube the two tracks and anything else that looks dry and needs lube.
^^x2^^

I just finished rebuilding my interior door panels and completely adjusting my (electric) windows. Regarding lubrication - I prefer to use Lithium spray grease on the door and window components.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 09:40 PM
Crusin in my 6-4

Norm,
Thanks for the Info. I actually figured out I was having a problem with wind noise coming from the door window, AND the wing window. The rubber seal around the wing was not sealing correctly as it was on the drivers side, so the wind was really howling. Anyway I found a local window place that will fix it all for $75. That works for me. I go in tomorrow morning.
Would have loved to get it all straightened out myself but I've put enough time into this, time to move on to something else.
I do plan on doing a lot of other work myself however. Thanks for all the info to everyone who posted. This forum has been invaluable to me already.