Insurance, and does Grundy have any competition?

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Insurance, and does Grundy have any competition?

If I couldn't or didn't want to insure through Grundy, what other options would I have?

You can see me and my car at http://picasaweb.google.com/keith.junker/Rocket88

I waited for 35 years to get "my" car from my dad, and now he's giving me the car before he dies all because mom died and he no longer has a desire to restore the car they dated and went on honeymoon in. I'd like to be able to drive it - it runs well - as I incrementally improve it. Down the road I'll get it off the frame and do the whole thing right.

Grundy won't insure it except for liability because it's not at least 80% ready-for-show (I don't disagree with them on this point), and their liability-only rate is still just a bit cheaper than my normal daily auto insurer. Better yet, I'd like to be able to insure it for SOMETHING. Can I shop around a little?

I had a quote from them of liability plus $10,000 car-value for $95 per year, until they got pics of the car, then they said it would be $170-something per year for liability only. This I don't understand.

Do you guys have any experience with this kind of thing?

Keith
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Freedom Fighter

I went through Safeco direct (no agent, no middleman fees). Have all my insurance needs with them. I have a 67 Delta 88 Convertible, insured full coverage ($15k value), 3000 miles a year (local shows, parades, ice cream runs).

Less than you were quoted for liability.

Shop around.
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Thanks, frdmftr.

I gave Safeco a call and talked with Vitaly. Safeco also wants to insure only cars that "look good" no matter how odd that sounds to me. I guess they'd rather insure my car, once I get it looking somewhat pretty, even though it's only worth $15,000, than a newly discovered dusty but driveable Duesenberg SJ with some rust on it that's worth $100,000.

Safeco MAY be interested after a reputable and certified appraiser looks it over.
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Freedom Fighter

I did have to send pics. I'm sure I got a good deal as I have multiple vehicles with them and I have an 'inside' affiliation through my business.

Duesy? Enjoy this pic. http://www.lemaymuseum.org/col_auto.php?cidx=1738

Dave