Installing AC parts and the stuff just won’t fit right

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2020, 06:45 PM

Installing AC parts and the stuff just won’t fit right

I’m just getting around to installing my AC components back into my 70 442. Everything has been replaced/serviced to work with R134A refrigerant. My first problem, I installed the bracket over the valve cover but it won’t sit flush with the intake manifold. It’s sitting on the valve cover so there isn’t anyway to push it down any further. I did not see any spacer being used in the assembly manual, I circled the area to show the issue (2 pics - different views).

The second issue I’m finding is I installed the A6 compressor and everything lines up except for the rear bracket which won’t sit flush with the bracket that sits on the valve cover. I seem to have everything installed according to the assembly manual so what am I doing wrong?

Here are overall pics of what I installed.

Old July 16th, 2020, 09:01 PM

Tom, what's the casting number on the bracket that goes over the valve cover?
Old July 16th, 2020, 09:11 PM

I'm wondering if you don't have a matched set of brackets. Kind of like the pulleys? Maybe its being pulled away from the intake by the other brackets. What year engine are you working on?
John
Old July 16th, 2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Tom, what's the casting number on the bracket that goes over the valve cover?

Old July 16th, 2020, 09:16 PM

I'm wondering if you don't have a matched set of brackets. Kind of like the pulleys? Maybe its being pulled away from the intake by the other brackets. What year engine are you working on?
John
Original engine, 1970 455
Old July 16th, 2020, 09:16 PM

That's the same as on my 1969 400 engine. How about the bracket that goes onto the front of the head?
Old July 16th, 2020, 09:27 PM

That's the same as on my 1969 400 engine. How about the bracket that goes onto the front of the head?

It's hard to read but it states 398682

Old July 16th, 2020, 09:32 PM

I think you have the right brackets.
Old July 16th, 2020, 09:38 PM

I looked through both the assembly and the service manuals and everything seems to be right but I shouldn't have those gaps - oh well this car keeps battling with me. I'll be spending a few hours tomorrow and hopefully I can find out what is going on. I appreciate your help John.
Old July 16th, 2020, 09:54 PM

Tom, I'm afraid I'm not much help. I've got the diagram from the assembly manual, but it sounds like you've already reviewed that. The head bolt? The one with the stud on it, I wonder if that could be throwing things out of alignment. But I think there's only one that would fit your year of engine.

Whoops! I didn't refresh your thread before making this reply.
Old July 17th, 2020, 05:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Let's start with the big cast bracket that goes over the valve cover. Take it off and very carefully inspect the bosses where it sits on the intake and head stud. I have one that was like that and it turns out that someone had previously ground the underside of the mounting feet to clear an aftermarket intake, which is why it wouldn't sit properly on a factory intake. Also, what intake are you running? Did these brackets come off of this engine? Finally, are ALL the fasteners loose (including the ones to the compressor) when you are trying to get this to fit up?
Old July 17th, 2020, 06:14 AM

Good morning Joe, last night I decided to add the belt to make sure the pulleys were aligned properly and it appears that they are.

This was also leading me to think the bracket over the valve cover may have been altered. I will be taking that off to check this morning. The intake is the original intake as far as I’m aware of but I’ll double check that when I go to take the bracket off. I bought some of these brackets off a member here a couple of years ago. When I got the car the brackets were off but some were in a box. I do not have the fasteners loose but I will give that a shot if the valve cover bracket seems to be good and I put everything back in again.
Old July 17th, 2020, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Let's start with the big cast bracket that goes over the valve cover. Take it off and very carefully inspect the bosses where it sits on the intake and head stud. I have one that was like that and it turns out that someone had previously ground the underside of the mounting feet to clear an aftermarket intake, which is why it wouldn't sit properly on a factory intake. Also, what intake are you running? Did these brackets come off of this engine? Finally, are ALL the fasteners loose (including the ones to the compressor) when you are trying to get this to fit up?
Joe, you were spot on with the bracket over the valve cover as someone grounded down the boss on the intake side. The head stud side seems to be untouched. Thanks again for shedding some light.

Old July 17th, 2020, 06:39 AM

Yup, the sins we commit trying to make stuff work.
You can get another bracket, which still might have fitment problems, or make a spacer to sit in there.
As for the rear mount on the compressor, don't sweat it. Mine's looked the same every time I've installed an A6. Get the front lined up and loose, then just insert a bolt through there and tighten that back one last. It'll pull together. It's just to stop the tail of the compressor from wagging around.
Old July 17th, 2020, 06:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well, that's an easy fix. Just stack some washers as spacers.
Old July 17th, 2020, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
Yup, the sins we commit trying to make stuff work.
You can get another bracket, which still might have fitment problems, or make a spacer to sit in there.
As for the rear mount on the compressor, don't sweat it. Mine's looked the same every time I've installed an A6. Get the front lined up and loose, then just insert a bolt through there and tighten that back one last. It'll pull together. It's just to stop the tail of the compressor from wagging around.
I’m figuring on the rear mount that I would mostly just add a spacer to take up the space - I’m just looking to make sure the pulleys line up which it appears they do.
Old July 17th, 2020, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, that's an easy fix. Just stack some washers as spacers.
I will probably go that route - I’m just checking in with a friend to see if he has one laying around.
Old July 17th, 2020, 07:18 AM

Hi tom,
i have that top bracket, unaltered original if you can’t find one, $40 plus shipping, I have PayPal, thanks.
Old July 17th, 2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by 442crzy
Hi tom,
i have that top bracket, unaltered original if you can’t find one, $40 plus shipping, I have PayPal, thanks.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer Nick. The car is just a driver and the pulleys appear to line up I’ll probably just throw in a spacer to make up the difference.