How Did You Install Your Gauges

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM

How Did You Install Your Gauges

I would like to install a set of gauges so I can monitor what is going on with the engine. I just want to install the regular Sun Pro Oil Pressure, Water Temp, and Battery gauge. I need to know where do in install the oil pressure sensor and temp sensor. Do I have to drill holes for these sensors? Im not to fond of doing this but if I have to I would like to know the correct place to drill.
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:28 AM

The sensors must T into proper ports. I do not advise drilling anything. For oil you can T into the pressure sensor port where your sensor is now for the dash warning light just right and top of the water pump. For the water temp you may have an unused port on the intake that is plugged or you can use a T fitting if you want to retain the stock sensor and add the one for a gauge.
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The sensors must T into proper ports. I do not advise drilling anything. For oil you can T into the pressure sensor port where your sensor is now for the dash warning light just right and top of the water pump. For the water temp you may have an unused port on the intake that is plugged or you can use a T fitting if you want to retain the stock sensor and add the one for a gauge.
So the oil pressure sensor is on the right top?? You stated I can use any unused port on the intake?? will that port have coolant in it to measure the temp?? 1 More thing, I noticed that I would hve to run an oil line from the oil pressure sensor to the gauge inside the car. Should I buy the real gauge setup where it would read pressure electronically instead of mechanically??

Last edited by plee3 64Olds; March 21st, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
What is this tee fitting you use that a water temp gauge sensor bulb and factory sending unit fit in and keeps the sensors immersed in moving coolant?
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I just used the original ports for water temp, oil pressure, and stowed the original wiring for the idiot lights. The voltmeter I ran directly to a keyed source at the fuse box. I have a mechanical gauge set up which seems to work fine!!
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM
Ben

As stated above, use the factory oil pressure sending unit port from the pad directly behind the water pump. Get a T fitting and you can use the idiot light and the guage, or just use the guage.

I don't trust the plastic lines that come in the kits, either get a copper line, or buy a bunch of rubber vacume(or washer) hose and feed the plastic line inside that.
I've seen plastic lines melt & leak, and crease & leak. Not a pretty site on either your engine or carpet.

Personally i trust a mechanical guage a lot more than the ones that use the electric sending unit. Just my opinion though.

For the temp guage, there should be more than one plug in the intake, Just take the plug out and put in your guages sending unit. Be sure to use teflon tape on any of the pipe plugs. For both oil & water temp

-Ben
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
What is this tee fitting you use that a water temp gauge sensor bulb and factory sending unit fit in and keeps the sensors immersed in moving coolant?
Attached Images
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM

Earlier intakes did not have a lot or any extra plugs like my 67 425 intake. He must be sure to locate the coolant passage at the front of the intake else he will put his sender in a vacuum port.
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM

I think I got it! I do have alot of ports that are closed with bolts. I am going to perform this operation in the next couple of days. I will take pics with the ports that I have in mind to make sure I have them correct.
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
As stated above, use the factory oil pressure sending unit port from the pad directly behind the water pump. Get a T fitting and you can use the idiot light and the guage, or just use the guage.

I don't trust the plastic lines that come in the kits, either get a copper line, or buy a bunch of rubber vacume(or washer) hose and feed the plastic line inside that.
I've seen plastic lines melt & leak, and crease & leak. Not a pretty site on either your engine or carpet.

Personally i trust a mechanical guage a lot more than the ones that use the electric sending unit. Just my opinion though.

For the temp guage, there should be more than one plug in the intake, Just take the plug out and put in your guages sending unit. Be sure to use teflon tape on any of the pipe plugs. For both oil & water temp

-Ben
Excellent idea about the rubber hose over the plastic. If I can find the copper, I will go that route.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM

Here's my oil and water gauge hookup with the originals in place to keep the idiot lights working. I put a 2" tach in the middle set instead of the ammeter Cheers Orrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0264.jpg (40.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0268.jpg (62.0 KB, 105 views)
Old March 29th, 2011, 07:11 AM

I installed the gauges this weekend and I feel pretty good about them. I uesed 1 of the ports on the right side for water temp and I used the original oil pressure sensor opening for oil pressure. I also used the copper line for oil pressure. They work just fine. when the car is at idle, The temp reads about 180 degrees, the oil pressure reads about 30 to 38 psi at idle and about 60 psi on the highway. and volt is reading about 14v. Im sure that is pretty normal. Am I correct??
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Sounds about right to me