Help needed with AC Heater controls

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Help needed with AC Heater controls

Finishing someone elses project is tough because, being that I didnt take it apart I have no idea how it goes back together. I downloaded a CSM online and cant seem to find the AC heater control vaccuum diagram for a 69 A body. Can somebody please help Identify these lines? The AC has been removed but I would still like to retain the use of the air ducts in dash. Hose #3 and 7 are 3-4 feet long, 4 and 5 are 1 foot, and 6 is 5 inches.
Thanks very much, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HEATER CONTROL.jpg (53.2 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Beob; January 15th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Rob,
I think this should help. It's a little hard to read the numbers for the hose connections as shown in the CSM so I wrote them down in the order shown to make it easier. Make sure the pink stripe hose has the splice in it as there should be a small section of hose coming from the vacuum diaphram on the back of the heater box. It's not possible to install a hose on the diaphram once the box is bolted to the firewall. The factory installed a small section of hose to the diaphram before the box was bolted in place and the dash hose would splice to the diaphram hose.

Keep an eye out for technical information I plan to post in the next week on modifying the function of the AC system for the 68-70 A body cars. If you weren't aware, once the compressor is engaged by the dash controls, it is not possible to turn off the compressor unless the ignition is switched off regardless of where the dash control is set. I have a modification for this that will allow the compressor to be switched on and off when moving the dash selector in and out of the AC mode and the compressor can also be switched on and off when going in and out of the defrost mode. The system will now operate like a modern car. The appearance will remain factory stock for except for a few changes under the dash that would still be hard to find.
Let me know if you have any other questions on your hose routing.
Brian
Attached Images
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Rob,
I think this should help. It's a little hard to read the numbers for the hose connections as shown in the CSM so I wrote them down in the order shown to make it easier. Make sure the pink stripe hose has the splice in it as there should be a small section of hose coming from the vacuum diaphram on the back of the heater box. It's not possible to install a hose on the diaphram once the box is bolted to the firewall. The factory installed a small section of hose to the diaphram before the box was bolted in place and the dash hose would splice to the diaphram hose.

Keep an eye out for technical information I plan to post in the next week on modifying the function of the AC system for the 68-70 A body cars. If you weren't aware, once the compressor is engaged by the dash controls, it is not possible to turn off the compressor unless the ignition is switched off regardless of where the dash control is set. I have a modification for this that will allow the compressor to be switched on and off when moving the dash selector in and out of the AC mode and the compressor can also be switched on and off when going in and out of the defrost mode. The system will now operate like a modern car. The appearance will remain factory stock for except for a few changes under the dash that would still be hard to find.
Let me know if you have any other questions on your hose routing.
Brian
Thanks very much, I think I understand most of it. The colors are faded, so its hard to tell, maybe you can help with the rest. Looking at the numbers on my pic -
1-
2-black to vaccuum canister
3-green to diaphram near blower motor
4-blue to diaphram on heater box
5-pink to diaphram on back of heater box
7-orange to diaphram near blower motor
Thanks for your help, Rob

Last edited by Beob; January 16th, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM

OK, using your numbers in question:

Your port #1 will get the orange stripe hose that goes over to the diaphram in the passenger side kick panel.

Your port #6 will use the white stripe hose that will connect to the diaphram on the hot water valve located at the rear passenger side of the intake manifold.

Your port #8 will tee into the black hose which you show as #2.

When you move those hoses around, you should find that your port #7 will not have a hose on it at all. If you look at that fitting, there is no hole in it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Brian
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C
OK, using your numbers in question:

Your port #1 will get the orange stripe hose that goes over to the diaphram in the passenger side kick panel.

Your port #6 will use the white stripe hose that will connect to the diaphram on the hot water valve located at the rear passenger side of the intake manifold.

Your port #8 will tee into the black hose which you show as #2.

When you move those hoses around, you should find that your port #7 will not have a hose on it at all. If you look at that fitting, there is no hole in it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Brian
Ok I got it now. Thanks very much, I really appreciate your help.
1- orange to diaphram by pass kick panel
2-black to vacuum canister
3-green to diaphram near blower motor
4-blue to diaphram on heater box
5-pink to diaphram on back of heater box
6-white to valve on manifold
7- no port
8-black, tee into other black to vacuum canister
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:50 AM

Glad to help. Good luck with your car.
Brian