bad tail light

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2012, 01:14 PM

bad tail light

I have a 1972 cutlass and the upper right tail light is bad.
If you move the light bulb around it works if you hold it. The bulb holder is bad and full of corrosion. I cleaned it out best I could, but it's just to bad.
I'm wondering if I can replace the bulb holder ( does it snap out) or if I must replace the whole tail light. Thanks Barb.
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You can replace the socket without replacing the holder. You might only need the spring unit for inside the socket though. Take a look:
http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...t-Pigtail.html
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Or you can clean the corrosion with a wire brush (there is one available just for this), work the wire in and out with some penetrant, and burnish the ends of the contacts. I bet it'll work again if the spring is still intact.
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Thanks! I think I'll have to replace the socket. I hope I can do this without taking the bumper off.
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Hey, before you do that, here's what I did. The only replacement socket they sell is way bigger than my 3/4 inch (approx) socket. Mine was all corroded and jacked up too. The springs were frozen in place, and had to fight like hell to get the bulbs out. Screwed up. So I bought the Dorman replacement, decided I didn't want to cut up my light, and took it back. I went to another store and they sold me the pigtail Allen R mentioned, but my socket isn't keyed to accept it.
So... What I did was to pull the little buttons out of the springs and cut them off of the wires. I miked them up and made new ones, and soldered in new wire that I then connected to the old wire. Basically made my own pigtail that allowed me to use the original springs ( after cleaning them up of course).
I know most folks don't have a lathe, but you might know someone who does. If not, I could whip out a couple for you. It worked pretty good for me. I'm assuming your socket takes a 1157 bulb. Two contacts right? Anyway, let me know. I enjoy screwing around with that kind of stuff.
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rmoths
Thanks! I think I'll have to replace the socket. I hope I can do this without taking the bumper off.
It's going to be difficult because you need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the gravel guard protecting the light housings. You're probably going to have to take the bumper off to do this unless you have really skinny hands that can reach up in there.

I'd replace all four connectors if you're thinking of doing that one. Chances are you will find the same corrosion in all 4 of them, possibly also in the backup lenses too.

Here's a link from the site "Wild About Cars" that shows how the rear bumper and light assemblies are put together. (71/72 are the same, with different lenses). Please consider joining the site - membership is FREE! Plus it gives you access to many cool Oldsmobile resources. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...SECTION_14.pdf and scroll to the second last page. To view any other related docs on your car you will need to register at http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...plate.cgi?id=8 Good luck with your project.
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:17 AM

Wink

Thanks for all the help.
Looks like I,m going to have to pull the bumper off , but I'll try and clean this
up one more time. The bumper really could be rechromed so maybe I'll just
do it all as long as I have it off. Thanks guys, Barb.
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rmoths
Thanks for all the help.
Looks like I,m going to have to pull the bumper off , but I'll try and clean this up one more time. The bumper really could be rechromed so maybe I'll just
do it all as long as I have it off. Thanks guys, Barb.
If you find the socket is restorable, I would do that. Probably will need a small dremel tool to clean up the inside of the housing really nicely. I'd also soak it in a bath of pure vinegar for a day. It really helps remove rust. Rinse the housing well and blow dry it. Paint it and then install the spring/contact plate.

If on the other hand the housing is beyond repair, I think I can find you suitable GM replacement sources.

If you were looking for a good excuse to take the bumper off and re-chrome it, you just hit the jackpot! You can also restore the rest of the bumper attachments while the bumper is off at the chromer. (try to get it in with a larger batch - some shops will discount the price instead of doing the bumper by itself)
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:06 PM

I want to thank everyone for all the help. So nice to know we do have this support system for our cars. I'll try to clean the socket again and hope for a simple fix. Just a shame to pull the bumper for just one light.
Thanks everyone for all the help. Barb.