'65 Jetstar 88 Speedo hookup.

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM

'65 Jetstar 88 Speedo hookup.

Hi,

Ok, I scored a NOS speedo cable for my Jetstar and have it pretty much installed. I am missing on more part of the puzzle - it looks like I need a special bearing dust cover for the driver side - since the cable is run off the front wheel hub. I assume it has some kind of provision built into it to drive the cable. The dust cover currently installed does not seem to. I will check the passenger side in case they were swapped at sometime. Does anyone know what they look like and more importantly, does anyone know where a guy could possibly get one?

Thanks for your help.

Greg.

Last edited by macvic; March 23rd, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Oldsdruid

You can get one from any 63-70 fullsize Olds in a junkyard. LH cap.

It has a center shaft inside that mates to the cable's square drive end. Quick ID is that there is a raised diamond-shaped plate on the outside. You probably also need the radio static eliminator that snaps inside the grease cap.
Old March 24th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You can get one from any 63-70 fullsize Olds in a junkyard. LH cap.
Have you checked any junkyards lately? 80s G-body cars are getting tough to find (at least here in NoVA). 60s cars are pretty much non-existent.
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:06 AM
"me somebody" site member

I beleive this is what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...spagenameZWDVW
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Oldsdruid

Joe, that's because you're too close to DC. Out here in the hinterlands, there's still stuff in the yards.

Plus MD has that inventory tax that makes the junkyards crush everything, so no need to go there. The Cap City guys were howling about that 20 years ago. Leon's in Culpeper is yall's best bet. Only junkyard I ever went in that they gave you a map. Without it, I expect you could get good and lost in there.

I bought an NOS pair off the bay last week. Scott's link is the second pair I've seen on there recently. Though why one needs two at the time... I have 2 64 Starfires so there's a spare for each.

Took the blue one in for inspection around 1988, the last one before I put YOM plates on it, and when they pulled the LF wheel to check brakes, the kid doing the inspection didn't know about indexing the cap to the speedo cable. Ended up dinging the cable to where speedo woudn't work so I made 'em find me a new cable.

Greg, make sure that hasn't happened to yours.
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
...Leon's in Culpeper is yall's best bet. Only junkyard I ever went in that they gave you a map. Without it, I expect you could get good and lost in there....
Ah, Leon's, The Walking Man's Friend...

I have to admit, I've been frequenting Crazy Ray's yards more recently. Culpeper is a long way from Northern Loudoun County, unfortunately.
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
"me somebody" site member

Wow, found another one just now without even trying (literally stumbled over it during a reg. search). I'd go for the NOS pair! Point is though, they're not too hard to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...spagenameZWDVW
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Thanks guys,

I snagged the ones off of ebay.(Sorry if I outbid anyone). I will keep my eyes for spares. It has been a good month - first I got the speedo cable, now these.

Thanks again.

Greg.