1980 Cutlass Window Crank

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2017, 12:04 PM

1980 Cutlass Window Crank

Hey gearheads, motorheads and automobile enthusiasts, can anyone tell me what direction to turn the window crank on a 1980 2 door cutlass to roll the window down. From the perspective of sitting in the passenger seat to roll the window down, is it clockwise or counterclockwise? I believe the direction would be the same if you were positioned at the driver side window crank also.

Thank You,

Pat
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Hookers under Hood

I'm always gettin' thrown in the back seat and not allowed to touch anything. Good question thou.

Eric
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Olds Fever

Is it correct to say that you still have not been able to unlock the doors as yet??? The only reason I ask is if the doors can be opened, you should be able to answer your own question... If the locks still do not function, what have you tried so far as suggested on your other thread...
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:39 PM

Always crank forward as you are sitting in the seat. So the top of the crank goes forward to roll the window down, and backward to roll it up.
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Is it correct to say that you still have not been able to unlock the doors as yet??? The only reason I ask is if the doors can be opened, you should be able to answer your own question... If the locks still do not function, what have you tried so far as suggested on your other thread...
Yes, still have not gained entry. I found a diagram that details the lock, door handle and latching system rods for the car so I have to try the slim jim method myself or call a professional. Meanwhile I thought about using a looped piece of electrical wire thru the window like the coat hanger method and manipulate the car window down. Once the window is down there are more options available to open the door.
Originally Posted by svnt442
Always crank forward as you are sitting in the seat. So the top of the crank goes forward to roll the window down, and backward to roll it up.
Yes Randy that makes a lot of sense. Much easier to comprehend than the way I tried to explain it. Thank-you for your valuable information.
Just for the fun of it, those who are interested can view a drawing that I made showing what I learned. (see file attachment)

-Pat-
Attached Images
File Type: png
window_crank_direction.png (36.6 KB, 10 views)
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:19 PM

Needless to say with some improvisation I opened the car window with the help of Randy. If I was to have guessed at what the true direction was, the window would not have opened.
Originally Posted by svnt442
I used a thin pliable piece of sheet metal in tandem with a coat hanger to manipulate the window crank up or down with little room to work between the top of the window and upper door frame. With some cussing and swearing the crank was moving as well as the window. It really was not bad!
Anyway I will be working on getting the doors and locks to work now that I can get inside the car!
Old July 8th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Administrator

I bet there is an engineer somewhere in your family.
Old July 9th, 2017, 08:01 AM
72 Olds CS

Lol the other day in a store parking lot was a guy obviously frazzled w keys locked in his car and the drvr said window cracked about an inch and a half, after futzing around a bit I found he bought jumper cables so I threaded them in the window and hooked the clip end on the window handle I triumphantly gave a good yank on the cable and rolled the window up the rest of the way!!! DOAH. Well I wanted to leave at that point ( and I'm sure the guy was wishing I would) but I walked around the car checking all four doors....one of the back doors was unlocked! So I guess manual door locks and Windows FTW is the takeaway here!
Old July 9th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I bet there is an engineer somewhere in your family.
How did you know? True, I’ve got a bachelor of science in engineering (Civil). I was proud of my little illustration done with Microsoft paint. My friend had 67 Cutlass same color car and roof as yours! Man, that thing could roar, it really had some get up and go.

-Patrick-