Non-Oldsmobile Classified Please read forum guidelines before posting.

RockAuto Has More Than Just Auto & Body Parts!

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM

I just did the brakes on my 68 Delta with parts from RockAuto. Prices were better than anywhere else, and shipping was fast. It was nice to get the right parts the first time, which is getting more rare all the time through the local parts houses.
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator

I bought all my front end parts from them, less expensive, convenient, and the parts were in stock!
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Is it kosher for a company to start a thread extolling its own virtues?

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:09 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
only if they are a sponser LOL

and I might add one I support
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's low class.

I think I'll start a thread called, "Eric is a great guy!"

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by mdchanic
"eric is a great guy!"- eric
x 2 :d:d:d:d:d
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Administrator

- Eric
I am, thankyou! LOL.
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Personally, I don't care for RockAuto's 'multi warehouse' shipping strategy. All your good prices aren't worth a hill of beans when you have to ship an order from 5 different locations. And how about a break for shipping to Canada? Jeepers, if ILT can give me great shipping, a GIANT like RockAuto SHOULD be able to.

I vote for the "Eric is a Great Guy" thread No matter which Eric it is!
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Talking

Originally Posted by Allan R
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hee hee hee, I just started that thread he was talking about..go get uh.. you!
Old September 11th, 2012, 06:39 PM
72 Olds CS

- Eric
It's low class.

- Eric
Believe me I am the epitomy of anti corporate sentiment and along w that goes my distaste for invasive advertising...ie if i paid to go to a movie i dont want to see a single ad, same for TV or anything else like a friggen DVD that wont let me get to the menu until they've played their ad that "grinds my gears"

but in this case RA helps to bring CO to us and I also selectively buy some of my parts thru them. The thread is started by RA and titled RA, so i pretty much know what im in for here unlike the DVD case where its forced on me

so ultimately despite my 'stick it to the man' mentality Im OK w it, i can skip it if I want to or maybe even see what new and wonderful things can be had at RA....turns out those cheap !@#$% dont stock any parts I would be interested in for my bikes (but they do for my cars) so i guess its all good w me

Now as for the Eric the great thread Ive already voted in Allans thread and let me tell you I think your the tops Eric not only because your from NE like me but because your always on here talking Olds or offering some down to earth wisdom in a fashion that makes me laugh...hey maybe you could get some kinda stipend for your wisdom and humor...
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Personally, I don't care for RockAuto's 'multi warehouse' shipping strategy. All your good prices aren't worth a hill of beans when you have to ship an order from 5 different locations. And how about a break for shipping to Canada? Jeepers, if ILT can give me great shipping, a GIANT like RockAuto SHOULD be able to.

How bout a vote for our favorite mountie there Allan?!
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM

Looking forward to more Harley parts if possible. So far I can only see Wix oil filters (at HD dealer price!), headlight bulbs, and a service manual.
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

R.A. Hasn't topped autozone by very much in a year or 2 in my opinion.... unless you hop on one of those "Wholesale closeouts" . By the time I put stuff in the cart and pay the shipping, and wait 2-3 days....I could have driven 1 mile to AZone and paid 2-3 extra bucks for a convenience fee.

3-4 years ago I used R.A. for almost everything.
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:44 AM
72 Olds CS

LOL the convienience for me w RA is choosing the part I want ie MOOG and having it delevered to my door....I ussually plan my work in advance and as a result i can order what I need in advance too

As for the multi warehouse thats part of my shopping routine select everything I want review shipping and deselect accordingly
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:51 AM

So far I've really been satisfied with rockauto, their prices and their customer service, but their multi-warehouse shipping just sucks, especially when you have to pay 25$ shipping for one small part!
I find it also funny, that when you have for example two items in your cart shipping from the same warehouse and you add a third one, that the two items all the sudden won't ship from the same warehouse anymore.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:00 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by dancutlass
So far I've really been satisfied with rockauto, their prices and their customer service, but their multi-warehouse shipping just sucks, especially when you have to pay 25$ shipping for one small part!
I find it also funny, that when you have for example two items in your cart shipping from the same warehouse and you add a third one, that the two items all the sudden won't ship from the same warehouse anymore.
That was my experience as well. I tried to order two parts for two seperate cars and POW they hit me with shipping from multiple locations So I went locally to the parts store that offers rewards for my purchases, got them $20 cheaper and no shipping charges much less shipping charges from multiple locations
Old September 13th, 2012, 02:51 AM

maybe we could make an order together some time... that would be cheaper... i travel a lot and could bring your your parts or pick mine from your place...

i just looked at the prices and i think they're very good!
Old September 13th, 2012, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by R_CK_R
maybe we could make an order together some time... that would be cheaper... i travel a lot and could bring your your parts or pick mine from your place...

i just looked at the prices and i think they're very good!
All in all a good idea, but the more you order, the more expensive the shipping gets.
And as we have two very different cars, I assume, that the parts are shipped from different warehouses

Sure the prices are great but to give you an idea about shipping, this is one of my orders:
parts 393,78€-discount 19,96€= 374,09€ parts total+ shipping 148,48€ + Tax 99,29€ = 621,86€

And it were just small parts, the biggest parts in this order were the shocks, other than that it were just control arm bushings, ball joints...
Old September 13th, 2012, 04:08 AM

All in all a good idea, but the more you order, the more expensive the shipping gets.
And as we have two very different cars, I assume, that the parts are shipped from different warehouses

Sure the prices are great but to give you an idea about shipping, this is one of my orders:
parts 393,78€-discount 19,96€= 374,09€ parts total+ shipping 148,48€ + Tax 99,29€ = 621,86€

And it were just small parts, the biggest parts in this order were the shocks, other than that it were just control arm bushings, ball joints...
ok wow... that's a lot!!!
I' also need just small parts for ignition...

do we have such a shop in germany, too?
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Yes it is, but most of the time it's still cheaper than anything you get in germany!
let me know when you order something, maybe we can try it then

I've used Mike&Franks www.mnf.de, weindel.de and us-parts-online.de with success...
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Yes it is, but most of the time it's still cheaper than anything you get in germany!
let me know when you order something, maybe we can try it then

I've used Mike&Franks www.mnf.de, weindel.de and us-parts-online.de with success...

ok thanks. i think i make all ignition parts new when my car arrives. maybe also the fuel parts. think it`s better `cause you never know how old the mountet parts are.
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM

- Eric
It's okay by me.
Old September 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

I always get the correct parts.
Even when shipping from multiple locations,it's still better quality and cheaper pricing.
I do experiment and order multiple manufacturers if needed to reduce the shipping locations.
The parts are delivered super quickly...you get what you pay for.
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:34 PM

New RA features for non-US customers

I found this in their monthly newsletter and decided to post it here as well.
http://www.rockauto.com/Newsletter/index.html

The RockAuto catalog has been updated with two new and exciting features for our Canadian and European customers.
At RockAuto we understand that international shipping can be expensive. In an effort to reduce shipping costs for our international customers, the RockAuto catalog will now use new shipping truck icons to indicate when a part can ship from a Canadian or European warehouse. The new truck icons will only appear if the order is shipping to Canada or Europe. This should make it easier to combine shipping and to minimize the shipping distances. This example shows a part can ship from a warehouse in the UK.
To allow for quicker searching, you will now be able to filter parts based on what market a part is for. The market filter flags will appear for customers in all markets and will initially all be checked. For example, if you have a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe and want to see only the Canadian Market instrument cluster with metric system markings, un-check the US market box.
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:06 PM

Thank you Lady72nRob71 for the above post. You are doing Rock Auto's job for them. Good information!

I would like Mr. or Ms. Rock Auto to attach a name and his/her title to their posts! Maybe things will become a little bit more personable and customer friendly?
Also, I hope that Mr. or Ms. Rock Auto pays attention to some of the forum members' beefs about the company and attempt to correct or at least respond to them.

I must say that I am curious and intrigued by Rock Auto's foray into marketing via interactive social media forums. It might just prove to be beneficial for both parties (business and customer).

I am very perplexed why Rock Auto does not ship small parts to Canada via the United States Postal Service. Try ordering a radiator petcock for a 1967 Oldsmobile Delta 88 425 for an address in the U.S. versus Canada!
JMHO

Last edited by Jaybird; September 20th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jay,
I just looked that up! Holy Mackeral. 1.90 for the part and almost 24.00 for UPS shipping. No wonder I don't order a lot from them.