Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Help ID Pontiac Rad/Trans Lines

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Help ID Pontiac Rad/Trans Lines

I've got a '68 Lemans 350 AC car that originally came with an ST300 trans. The trans has been swapped for a TH350 and an unknown 2 core rad is currently in the car. Busted a trans line and want to replace both. I don't know if the 'old' trans lines are original or not, but there is a bracket which bolts the lines to the frame near the motor mount that is original to the car, which leads me to believe that the trans lines originally ran next to each other (as opposed to being separated one above or below the other.) I ordered stock replacement lines which do not fit the current rad. If I use the bracket to bolt the lines to the frame, the separation from upper to lower fittings that go into the rad is about 8", but the lugs in the rad are about 12" apart (top to bottom.) Called the vendor and they said that because the rad is not original, the stock lines won't fit. My confusion is that I always assumed that the distance between lugs on the radiator was fairly standard - that there weren't different sized trans oil coolers. Perhaps there are, I just don't recall ever seeing an 8" trans cooler in any GM rad. Anyway, there is a chart in the service manual that identifies a two letter code for radiators in the model year. If I'm reading the chart correctly, there are three types of radiators, standard, heavy duty, and a towing version - then each of these three categories is divided into the different radiator models depending on engine and trans type (no 350 engines got 3 speed auto trannies that year.) Does anybody know how to decode the two letter rad codes? Or does anybody know if there is a radiator that has an 8" (roughly) trans oil cooler? I'm not trying to replace the radiator, but instead trying to get trans lnes that fit what's in there now. Thanks for any help. BTW, anybody know what is the best forum for GTO/LeMans/Tempest? Thanks for any help - mark
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:41 AM

I have a few Pontiacs around here so I will measure a couple to see if there is a standard distance between the lines on the rad. One solution to this problem would be to buy the tubing with fittings on it and bend them yourself to fit the set-up you currently have. I think NAPA has varying lengths of it available. I will post what I find on the spacing next.
Old January 12th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Measured a Chevy, Olds, and Pontiac rads and all except one were about 12" apart. The one that was not was about 8" so it seems that they were both used. For more help on this you might take a look at the Performance Years tech forums as all Pontiac guys over there.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:33 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Thanks for the replies, Rusty. As it turns out, the line for the pontiac ST300 fits a rad with lugs spaced 12" so I went ahead and exchanged it. I checked my 72 cutlass and 76 Chevy K20 (both th350's) and they were both 8" - who knows. I just assumed that all the trans coolers were the same, but I guess they aren't. I've flared/bent my own (brake) lines before, but I just don't have the gift for it. Better to admit my limitations! Thanks again. - mark