Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

56 olds rat with chevy small block

Old March 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM

56 olds rat with chevy small block

hey there "sweet56olds" ,i used a 350 small block chevy engine and a th350 trans. i just lowered it all down in there, got it all centered and leveled up, used tie wire to hold it firmly in place while i measured up and fabricated some brackets to weld to the frame.the mounts that bolt to the engine are street rod mounts and can be bought about any where. then i just used some street rod rubber mounts to soften the blow. it was a little tight in the fuel pump area since i used a stock fuel pump, but i got it and it works great. same with the trans cross member, fabbed it out of 2" square tubing, nothing fancy. i did have to cut the olds yoke off the front end of the drive shaft and i had a machine shop weld on a chevy yoke to go into my chevy trans. again, no biggie. as for the trans linkage, i used the original linkage and made my own little bracket to mate it to the trans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
left mount.jpg (60.5 KB, 52 views)
right mount.jpg (76.6 KB, 51 views)
cross member.jpg (56.9 KB, 47 views)
trans link.jpg (47.8 KB, 45 views)
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Looks great and simple, I've used those mounts quite a bit for swaps over the years.
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:07 PM

56 olds rat with a small block chevy

on my brakes, the original system was shot and very expensive to replace, no thanks. i took off all the un-nessary junk off the fire wall, blocked off the big holes with 16 guage sheet metal and used a new dual master cylinder that was made for a 67 camaro with drum brakes front and back. pretty cheap. as for my pedals, i used a pedal assembly for a 55-57 chevy, 2 bolts go right thru the fire wall and bolt into the master cylinder, easy. i welded a small piece of angle on to the dash side of the pedal assembly so i would have a place to run a bolt through it and into the lower dash itself, real simple. my gas pedal is fron an 88 chevy truck, a little modified, but, they are easy to find. used a throttle cable kit from auto zone.
Attached Images
engine.jpg (80.0 KB, 41 views)
master cylinder.jpg (76.4 KB, 40 views)
pedals.jpg (97.0 KB, 42 views)
pedal assembly.jpg (67.0 KB, 41 views)
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:19 PM

my wheels are b&g rod works wheels. bought them from performance wheel and tire off the web. 17x8 front 18x8 rear. shes just a mean and nasty ole rat rod but it turns a lot of heads and people seem to dig it, my son and i have a lot of fun in it. we have driven it to nashville, louisville, bowling green, and memphis, and all over around here, no problem. thanks guys. I hope my limited amount of info helps. mark.
Attached Images
rat2.jpg (157.8 KB, 42 views)
rat1.jpg (151.2 KB, 38 views)
olds1.jpg (42.6 KB, 41 views)
benton2014.jpg (104.4 KB, 36 views)
56sign.jpg (43.2 KB, 32 views)
Old March 15th, 2015, 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the info provided. I may go this route next winter. The car seems to be killing me with all the small probs that need fixed and the 324 is not running right at all. It has a miss somewhere but has all new tune up parts. Figuring it needs rebuilt which I am not doing because of cost. I already have brake pedals from an S10 so I just need to figure out the gas pedal. I like your setup. I had one question about the brackets to the frame? Are they 1/4 inch plate and how did you make them as I have no way to bend anything that thick? Also did you offset the engine when putting it in because of the steering box? I have PS on mine.
Old March 15th, 2015, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Sweet ride Mark, you guys should be proud to have resurrected such a pretty ol gal.

sweet56olds, go to the speedway site and search motor mounts/ brackets/ plates/ etc. They have all kinds of stuff, very reasonable.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:47 PM

i think i made those mounts out of 1\8 plate, for sure no heavier than 3\16. i really think 1\8 is plenty thick for that. i have an unfair advantage in that area, i am a sheet metal worker by trade. here is a schetch of kinda how they look.my motor is dead center of the car, i have manual steering. one more thing, i used a tri 5 chevy radiator also, my car didnt have anything under the hood when i bought it. best of luck. oldcutlass, thanks for the nice comments, you all have a good week, im hittin the sack.
Attached Images
motor mounts.jpg (28.0 KB, 27 views)
radiator.jpg (63.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by kartman24; March 15th, 2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:09 PM
same but different

Thumbs up! I like you working with what you got, and making something.

Being Oldsmobile just makes it better.

Figuring out what works and what doesn't.

Using some skill and knowledge with the right tools.

Sounds like Hot rodding too me.

Carry on, but let us know whats happening.