1963 Olds Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM

1963 Olds Cruise Control

It's been a while since I've been around here. Sorry to be a stranger.

I am trying to gauge interest in machining replacement control unit parts for '63 Olds cruise control. The control head includes a plastic housing and a plastic rod that together adjust the cruise unit. The plastic is typically brittle with age and I doubt that there are many out there that will last much longer I am looking into having these two parts made by a machine shop out of aluminum. There is a susbstantial prototyping cost, but after that is covered, the parts themselves should be reasonable. I'm estimating that I need at least nine other people to buy these in order for it not to be cost prohibitive.

So I am wondering how many people would be willing to plunk down a $50 deposit, and how many takers I would have at $150, $250 and $350 for these parts.

I hope it's not too obnoxious if I post this separately in the 98, 88 and Others threads simultaneously. Sorry if that bugs you.

Thanks.

Last edited by ncwitte; June 13th, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Norm,
I for one am not offended to find out there's someone out there interested in fabricating some cruise parts.

I would be interested if you were fabricating the dash on/off switch and bezel for 1970-1972 Cutlass cruise. There are probably some others on this site who would be interested too. The on/off switch is one of the hardest parts to get in good condition. What's your take on that, or are you pretty much staying with the 63 production year?
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:00 AM

Allan, thanks for your reply. I am just trying to get parts together for my car, which is a '63 98. As for the parts for the '70-'72 Cutlass, I'm afraid I can't be much help there. Right now I am looking into machining some parts inexpensively for mine. Finding someone who (a) can do that kind of work, and (b) will do it without charging an arm and a leg is the hard part.

Norm
Old May 5th, 2018, 07:39 AM

Norm, I see this thread is very old, I see the plastic Rod is now being reproduced from 2 sources, My housing is also broken, I would be interested in what you have to offer if at all current? Or any used ones you might by now have lost interest in..
Old May 6th, 2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ross999999
Norm, I see this thread is very old, I see the plastic Rod is now being reproduced from 2 sources, My housing is also broken, I would be interested in what you have to offer if at all current? Or any used ones you might by now have lost interest in..
I ended up having a friend make the rack from aluminum. We bandaged the housing together, but it's been eleven years and I still haven't installed it....

Eventually it will get done.
Old May 7th, 2018, 04:57 AM

I'm reproducing the rack and the drive gear if you are interested, rack is aluminium and the gear is from high quality plastic that will handle the stress and not crack.
Jaswest.
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I'm reproducing the rack and the drive gear if you are interested, rack is aluminium and the gear is from high quality plastic that will handle the stress and not crack.
Jaswest.
What do you charge for the gear? I have an aluminum rack, but we re-used the original gear, and it has a stress fracture, so it's probably not going to last.
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:11 AM

Jaswest.
Hi Steve, yes, I know, per my note above, I am going to buy your Rack and gear set, but I hope to replace the housing first, are you sure you don't want to part with one of your spares?
Old December 27th, 2023, 09:10 PM

Cruise control

Jaswest.
Hello, I am interested in the rack and the drive gear for cruise control if you still have them available, please advice.

thanks

Angelo

Last edited by angelo.valdebenito71; December 27th, 2023 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Error
Old December 28th, 2023, 05:46 AM

Hi Angelo,
Yes I'm still making the rack and gear for the cruise unit. I'm also reproducing the black plastic housing on a 3D printer and modifing it to make it stronger.
E-mail me stevewestlake@jaswest.com
Steve