1984 Ninety Eight Regengy Brougham: You Like? Heater Question?

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM

1984 Ninety Eight Regengy Brougham: You Like? Heater Question?

Hi. Just wanted to introduce my baby. (1984 98 Regency Brougham 307 Y)She was my grandmothers and has 62,300 miles on her.

One problem though summer is coming and my heater is always blowing hot air from the engine into the car through the floor vent in the center. Seems the vacum system for the doors in side may not be working correctly. If anyone has had a similar problem or can help thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
front.jpeg (72.6 KB, 93 views)
engine.jpeg (55.6 KB, 108 views)
interior.jpeg (61.1 KB, 94 views)
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Oldsdruid

Does the car have Custom or Tempmatic air conditioning?
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM

It is all stock. Tempermatic I believe.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The flapper door for the heater box is right behind your glove box. Just take out the 9/32 bolts, and have a look.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM

I did the doors were working sometimes with help. I had most of the dash apart too. I don't know jack about vacum systems in this car. I was hoping someone would know how to work on that type of thing. A way to diagnose the problem maybe. Thanks. I am going to tinker with it for a while.

P.S. Any schematics I can get will help.
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'll see what I can dig up. Check your heater control valve for proper function in the meantime.
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM

I'd check the vacuum lines under the hood. At 20+ years they rot away.

Damn that engine bay is clean
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Update:
There is no vacum or air coming from the tube that controls the heater control valve. Must be whats on the other end that is the problem. Im going to keep diging.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:34 AM

I had to keep my air conditioner off because it would only blow how air. This as you may already know is a big problem with this model. I myself is going to have to take the air conditioner from my '83 after the wreck
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fitzgerald
Update:
There is no vacum or air coming from the tube that controls the heater control valve. Must be whats on the other end that is the problem. Im going to keep diging.
The heater control valve is not the issue. There will only be vacuum when the A/C is at MAX. The problem is the temperature selector flapper door behind the glove box. There is a plastic lever that controls this door and the lever is prone to breakage. This is a very common problem. In my case, the plastic stud on the lever that the control cable attaches to was broken off. I drilled a hole in the lever where the stud had been and used a small machine screw and nut to make a new stud. It's worked fine for two years now. I suggest removing the glove box and looking at this lever.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM

For a quick temperary fix, you can manually shut thevalve that runs into the heater core, or you can take the hoses off, cap off the heater core and run a bypass. (connect the 2 heater hoses.)

BTW, that is a gougeous car. VERY clean engine bay. More pics please.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Geezer

I did the doors were working sometimes with help. I had most of the dash apart too. I don't know jack about vacum systems in this car. I was hoping someone would know how to work on that type of thing. A way to diagnose the problem maybe. Thanks. I am going to tinker with it for a while.

P.S. Any schematics I can get will help.
The air blend door is either hanging in the plenum or there is a bad vacuum motor failing to open and close it properly. Could be a loose vacuum hose but you'd probably hear that hissing if that were the case.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
The air blend door is either hanging in the plenum or there is a bad vacuum motor failing to open and close it properly. Could be a loose vacuum hose but you'd probably hear that hissing if that were the case.
The air blend door is cable operated and the plastic lever I mentioned is prone to breakage where the cable attaches.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by marcar1993
For a quick temperary fix, you can manually shut thevalve that runs into the heater core, or you can take the hoses off, cap off the heater core and run a bypass. (connect the 2 heater hoses.)

BTW, that is a gougeous car. VERY clean engine bay. More pics please.
If the problem is the broken lever on the heater door, the even easier fix is to remove the glove box and flip the door to the closed position with your finger. No coolant draining, no hose bypassing.
Old July 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I had a 1983 Regency Brougham that developed a problem like this. Turned out to be the programmer/compensator behind the glove box.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM

I had the same problem on my '84 98 but after I pulled the glovebox and saw that there was no broken door so I proceeded to put things back together. Now I get no heat and its apparent there is no water getting to the heater coil. I replaced the heat control valve so now I'm assuming its the thermostat, am I correct?
Also, where does the vacuum come from that supplies the AC/Heater?
And where is the compensator and what does it do/look like?

Last edited by mikecraig80; June 2nd, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Carb time.

Ok going to get into the carbs. Figured I would just keep the same post going.

I am looking for a good reference on how to properly go through the Quadrajet.
Also after I confirm everything is in working order I want to then go for getting more performance. Never dove into a Quadrajet so I thought i would ask the pros here.

P.S. I covered the intake at the top of the carb and the engine was still idling. I replaced all vacum hoses that I could find. If anyone has any more in depth info on this car i would forever be greatful. I am so poor I can't even afford a manual at the moment.
Old July 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by mikecraig80
I had the same problem on my '84 98 but after I pulled the glovebox and saw that there was no broken door so I proceeded to put things back together. Now I get no heat and its apparent there is no water getting to the heater coil. I replaced the heat control valve so now I'm assuming its the thermostat, am I correct?
Also, where does the vacuum come from that supplies the AC/Heater?
And where is the compensator and what does it do/look like?

There is a vacum line that operates the flow of water to your heater core. It is just in front of the fire wall on the passenger side of the car. I have mine set so that it is off at the moment because of summer. However it doesnt operate from the dash contols at the moment never got it working. I just attach a vacum line from a t and it keeps it off. I need to get this fixed. i also noticed that when i go to turn on the ac the ac clutch doesn't engage. When I dig into it I will post more. Hope that helps you get by.
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Ok going to get into the carbs. Figured I would just keep the same post going.

I am looking for a good reference on how to properly go through the Quadrajet.
Also after I confirm everything is in working order I want to then go for getting more performance. Never dove into a Quadrajet so I thought i would ask the pros here.

P.S. I covered the intake at the top of the carb and the engine was still idling. I replaced all vacum hoses that I could find. If anyone has any more in depth info on this car i would forever be greatful. I am so poor I can't even afford a manual at the moment.
Your car has the Computer Command Control (CCC) Q-jet. The mixture ratio on the primary side of the carb is controlled by a pulse width modulated solenoid that raises and lowers the tapered metering rods in the jets. The adjustment process is not difficult but it requires complete compliance with the steps in the factory Chassis Service Manual, so you should get one of those before doing anything else. There are a couple of special gauges required to set the carb up, but I was able to use a small machinist's scale and a piece of wire cut to the right length to serve as the gauges. The dimensions are provided in the CSM. If you do not follow the adjustment process exactly, you will never get the system to run right. On the other hand, once it's correctly set, it runs great.