Vacuum line routing??? Problems!

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Vacuum line routing??? Problems!

Ok i have finally had some time to try and fix the problems with the 1962 olds 98 I have. Car runs amazing

BUT... Almost all the vacuum lines that are routed into the firewall are so old and cracked that they all need replaced.. Now does anyone have anysort of idea what the vacum line for the heater blower motor goes?? I had it rigged to the fuel pump just for a second to see if its diapham was still good and it is.

The fuel pump has 2 vacuum lines that come off and one originally went to the carb and the other went?? I have no idea. Right now those two lines are plugged off. I have a holly 750 for a carb and Im having a hard time removing the fuel pumps steal line that went to the old carb.

So hope this isnt boring anyone but does someone just have a decent picture or description of where all the vacuum lines on this car go...basically the ones that are routed off the fuel pump, carb(else that the adv. timing, pw, brakes) and the return line from the heater coil. Thanks for any tips on where stuff goes or where a description can be had.
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi fasteddi,
I don't know if the heater/vacuum system is the same for 63 as it is for 62. Here's a link for the heater system (its from the Assembly Manual for 62). This is courtesy of the website Wild About Cars. Its free to join. Unfortunately they don't have a lot of info on the 62.
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...per-Washer.pdf

Hope you resolve the problem.
Old October 29th, 2011, 04:59 AM

I just regestered as a member on the page. Thanks for the link!!!!!!

Anyone know a solid place to buy a repair manual for a 1962 olds????
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Oldsdruid

They're on ebay all the time, or you can go thru one of the literature vendors.

Keep in mind that for a 1962, you have to have the 1961 manual too. The 62 manual is a supplement that basically covers only what changed between 61 and 62.

The other line on your fuel pump is for the HVAC controls. They used it so vacuum wouldn't fluctuate as much under acceleration/deceleration as with manifold vacuum and make the HVAC switch over unwantedly. This was before they grasped the concept of a vacuum storage ball.

You also need to be aware that with that Holley, you need to be real careful with the transmission's TV rod adjustment. I would suggest contacting dlh61olds to see if he still has any of those adjustment gauge tools he had made up. It can make the difference between working HydraMatic or not.
Old October 30th, 2011, 02:34 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but the heater diagrams link is for a 63 F-85, not a full-sized Olds. That may make more than a slight difference?
Old October 30th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Oldsdruid

Just occurred to me that there's a lot of difference in 61-2 vs 63-4 HVAC control head. 61-62 have separate summer ventilation/airconditioning and heater control pushbuttons. 63-64 they are all incorporated into one control. So 63 vacuum routing may or more likely may not be the same.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM

yea its definitly not the same as a 1963.. but im getting a grasp on it and after i finish cleaning/painting up the engine bay. Im back on the vaccum issues.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
NOVICE car nut

I hope you get everything resolved ! I have the same problem with my 72 CS , there are 4 unanswered vacuum lines with screws in them ... anyone know of a vacuum line diagram for a 72 with a later 70's Olds 350 ? i have a thread started on the very subject.
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Correct me if I am wrong, but the heater diagrams link is for a 63 F-85, not a full-sized Olds. That may make more than a slight difference?
Dave, good catch. I was looking at the Assembly Manual for 63 and didn't notice what series it was for.

Originally Posted by fasteddi
yea its definitly not the same as a 1963.. but im getting a grasp on it and after i finish cleaning/painting up the engine bay. Im back on the vaccum issues.
fasteddi, my apologies. Does this help more? It's definitely for a full size 63 Olds: http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ection_15A.pdf
Old November 5th, 2011, 07:37 AM

yes! thank you!
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:33 PM

heater fan not operating

I have a 62 olds 98 also and am slowly getting it restored...can I assume heater fan will not turn on of vacuum line is broken/not connected correctly...checked all fuses and they are ok..fan and therefore heater inoperative at this point thanks
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaxtunes
I have a 62 olds 98 also and am slowly getting it restored...can I assume heater fan will not turn on of vacuum line is broken/not connected correctly...checked all fuses and they are ok..fan and therefore heater inoperative at this point thanks
The fan motor should work regardless of vacuum issues. Try jumping a hot 12 volt wire directly to the fan motor wire. And check your grounds.
Old June 8th, 2014, 03:06 PM

Huh, I'm on the right track here then for my 1959 98 Olds..

I have been on the site this morning searching this exact same problem. I spent 3 hours yesterday in the engine bay and under the dash trying to sort this problem out also.

I have a 600 Holley at the moment as my Rochester quite. My problem started when I got the car back from the painters as I went to put everything back and the heater fan work remains on when ever the ignition is on.

Yesterday I tested the switch, all ok, I have already replaced the sensing unit under the dash. The switch is attached to a vacuum Diaphragm module situated on top of the heater box. It seems the vacuum module is not operating correctly to move the switch enough to operate it, that is switch it off.

Appears to be a vacuum problem for me.

If I am wrong here, feel free to point out something.

Thanks

John.
Old June 9th, 2014, 04:14 AM

Another 3 hours in the sunshine today trying to nut this out. Still no go, cannot get vacuum to accuate the diaphragm at the heater box to work the fan switch. Been through the schematics in the manual too.

I am wondering if the heater tap is faulty and if so, would this cause a probem.
I have also by-passed the heater core as it was leaking.

Would these be causing a problem do you think?
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:55 AM

My summer ventilation/heater system has a vacuum problem too. (1961 Dynamic 88, deluxe heater) I checked the fuel pump and have what I think is adequate vacuum but when I check the cowl vent line, only about 1/4 vacuum. Does cycle on and off with vent control. Leak somewhere, going to be fun!