steering wheel for '68 Ninety Eight

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM

steering wheel for '68 Ninety Eight

Hi all - just got my 68 Olds 98 LS last week. I'm trying to get her on the road and need a steering wheel that has the horn built into the perimeter of the wheel. Or maybe someone knows of some other steering wheel that will fit. The car has tilt and telescope option. Suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Oldsdruid

Those Rim-Blo wheels can be repaired. Someone posted a link to video of doing one on a Cougar wheel a couple weeks back.

Your other option is to find a 71-later regular steering wheel. I think about all the T&T wheels from 67-76 are interchangeable, but 67-70 are likely to have a rim-blow.
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Thanks Rocketraider

I also found a few steering wheel restoration shops. Not cheap but my Olds deserves the best I can give it. Thanks again! Beepac98
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM

I have the same dilema on my 68, my horn still works but the wheel is cracked. I bought a used 67 tilt/tele wheel, which has the horn in the hub/center and you can transfer your wheel pad and emblem to look pretty correct. It does not have rim blow or the woodgrain perimeter applique, otherwise is the same wheel. A good temporary fix while you save up some $$$ for the original wheel's restoration. I have not made the switch yet, and plan to have the original restored too, let us know who you use and the results. Hope this helps, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1e.jpg (46.7 KB, 27 views)
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by beepac98
Hi all - just got my 68 Olds 98 LS last week. I'm trying to get her on the road and need a steering wheel that has the horn built into the perimeter of the wheel. Or maybe someone knows of some other steering wheel that will fit. The car has tilt and telescope option. Suggestions greatly appreciated!!
You can use just about any other GM wheel with tilt/telescope if you want to change it. I posted the rebuild for the rim blow for another member who just got a 67 Toro with that option. I think the process is the same for GM. If you want to have a look at how to do it, here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EiMJ-Ao78c8 If on the other hand you're just looking to buy a steering wheel?......
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM

Thanks Dave for the alternative - I am calling around for 68 T&T wheel and will expand my search. I got an estimate from "Dest in Show Steering Wheel Restorations" to restore to new with new horn switch - $750!
I takes them 6-8 weeks as well. I'll still probably do it once I find second wheel. Your Olds looks amazing! Looks like it has every option and then some dealer installed as well. I have been looking for a radio for mine and the am/fm with woderbar can be had for $500. Oh well one thing at time..
- Brian
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Brian - there is a 67 Toronado wheel and column on ebay now. My car is loaded, I found it for sale on this site, and a few months later the original owner contacted me, he still had the window sticker! He told me he wanted the Olds to be as loaded as a DeVille. It is a great car, everything works, but the car was pretty tired, so my 2 sons and I embarked on a resto. It is apart right now, in the painting process, engine comes out soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0001Av.jpg (57.2 KB, 15 views)
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:12 PM

I also found my 98 on ebay. Its a 4 door LS with std ac. The car is a bit rough and will be a project car. My first ever car was a 68 98 town sedan that I totalled on a winter day back in 1978. Its great to have it back in my garage (well - barn). Up here in new england ther are none of these cars left in salvage yards so its going to be tough (and costly) to get parts I know.
Your so lucky to have such a incredible interior on the 2 door.
I'll check ebay for the steering wheel you spotted. Thanks again - Brian
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Brian - post some pics! Let me know what else you are looking for...I have bought a lot of NOS parts -so some of my extras might be of use to you. Dave
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:44 PM

Dave - I'll take some this weekend and post them up. So far the only work I have done is to install the aftermarket "Rocket 455' air cleaner decal I bought from Drdecal. Looks perfect. The car came with a pair of 68 98 tailight assemblies in the trunk if someone needs them. How many 68 98 CO members are out there? - Brian