How hot is normal for a Big Block in the Summer?

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Land Yacht Captain

How hot is normal for a Big Block in the Summer?

So I finally installed a coolant temp guage because I didn't trust the factory idiot lights.

How hot does your big block run on warm days?? Its been between 86-95F here the last few weeks and when I drive my car it sits around the 200-210F mark.

Its got a new T-stat (190F) I think which is prob not helping. I have checked my entire cooling system with an infrared thermometer and the rad is cooling. I have been considering installing an electric fan just for piece of mind.

Is that a normal temp? Whats normal for those outside temps?

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; August 19th, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Those coolant temps would be normal @ those outside temperatures.

Nothing to worry about.
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
same but different

Yep, sounds normal to me too. Mine sits around 200 in town, just a little cooler on the highway.

A 50/50 mix of coolant will give you about a 250 boiling point * I'll let somebody else confirm that, I'm going by memory.
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Well that at least gives me some piece of mind for my long drive tomorrow.
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Well that at least gives me some piece of mind for my long drive tomorrow.
You wouldn't happen to be going Bracebridge would you?
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Why would you ask such a silly question? All the cool kids will be in Bracebridge tomorrow!!!
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Why would you ask such a silly question? All the cool kids will be in Bracebridge tomorrow!!!
Well I guess I might have to go then too. I will be coming up Saturday just for the day with my daughter.
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by don71

A 50/50 mix of coolant will give you about a 250 boiling point * I'll let somebody else confirm that, I'm going by memory.
That sounds about right.

I run 100% distilled water in the summer and switch to 50/50 with antifreeze for the winter. With some anti-corrosive mixes as well.

An electric cooling fan would be good for added insurance.
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Land Yacht Captain

I will be there all weekend make sure you come over and say Hi.
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
I run 100% distilled water in the summer and switch to 50/50 with antifreeze for the winter.
Why don't you run the 50/50 mixture year-round? That is what the manufacturer calls for, isn't it? Antifreeze does more than just protect against corrosion. It also raises the boiling point of the coolant mixture and provides lubrication to things like the water pump.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 19th, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Why don't you run the 50/50 mixture year-round? That is what the manufacturer calls for, isn't it? Antifreeze does more than just protect against corrosion. It also raises the boiling point of the coolant mixture and provides lubrication to things like the water pump.
Yes, do run 50-50 year round for corrosion protection and water pump lube. The distilled water should also still be used with the coolant.
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The distilled water should also still be used with the coolant.
I've use water from the tap to dilute anti-freeze for many years on many cars without a problem. This has been debated forever, and I've never seen a definitive answer as to why tap water should not be used. The label on the anti-freeze jug just says to use "fresh water." Well, fresh water is what comes out my garden hose, and that's what goes in the cooling system.
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:01 AM
NôôB

That sounds about right.

I run 100% distilled water in the summer and switch to 50/50 with antifreeze for the winter. With some anti-corrosive mixes as well.

An electric cooling fan would be good for added insurance.
and have it hooked up as well helps. reason i am saying this is cause mine has them but not hooked up. might get to it this weekend but we shall see lol
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Land Yacht Captain

The only benefit to using distilled water is the fact it doesn't have dissolved minerals and solids that could plug up the cooling system over time. Just like hard water does to your house plumbing.
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM

The only benefit to using distilled water is the fact it doesn't have dissolved minerals and solids that could plug up the cooling system over time. Just like hard water does to your house plumbing.
And I have seen what our tap water leaves in the water heaters and pipes and sprinkler heads!
Of course, only 2 gallons would get put in the Olds and hundreds flow in the house, so the debate is valid.
Distilled water is a less than a buck a gallon at Wally's so no big deal there for my own peace of mind. I got the coolant there, so not much extra effort also.
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:02 AM

I have a 180 stat on my 455 behind the stock 371 radiator in the 57, runs at 160 most of the time hit 180 on the hot 90 degree days we had last week. Run 50/50 mix. No bad for a down flow radiator.
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM

But I've seen an equally valid-sounding argument the other way. The LACK of dissolved metals in distilled water makes it more likely that that water will leach those metals out of radiator and engine block walls, speeding the corrosion process. I have no idea if this is true, but it's no less plausible-sounding that the arguments I've heard in favor of using distilled water.

I figure that the manufacturer of the antifreeze would know, and if it says on the label that tap water is ok, that's good enough for me. Following that advice for the last 35 years has never caused me a problem.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM

The Delta runs alot cooler on just water. I have heard all kinds of arguments about that and also whether to use a thermostat or not.

It would be easier to just run 50-50 all year round!
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM

The Delta runs alot cooler on just water. I have heard all kinds of arguments about that and also whether to use a thermostat or not.
I doubt that it is running cooler because you're using only water. There is no physical reason why this would happen.

It's also possible to run an engine at too low a temperature. An engine is actually more efficient the hotter it runs. There is an upper limit to this, of course, based on the ability of the engine and attached components to withstand the heat, but it doesn't mean that it's good to run at any arbitrarily lower temperature. A good engine operating temperature is 190-195 degrees F.

Not using a thermostat would cause the engine to take longer than normal to reach operating temperature. If you need heat, for example, to heat the interior in the winter or to defrost your windows, you would have to run the engine longer. If you take mostly short trips, your engine may never reach operating temperature, and that's not good for it. All that time that it is not running at operating temperature, combustion is less efficient and giving you poorer gas mileage, excessive cylinder wear, carbon buildup, and other problems.

Your engine has at least one thermal vacuum switch (TVS), which responds to engine operating temperature, opening and closing vacuum lines that control engine timing, fuel/air mixture, and EGR valve operation. If the engine never reaches the temperature to trigger the TVS, your engine's control systems will operate as if the engine were continually cold, which it would be, which would affect all the things I've mentioned. Even if does ultimately reach the temperature necessary to trigger the TVS, it will have taken longer to do so, and all that time it is running more poorly than it could be.

The bottom line is this. If auto manufacturers thought that a car would run just fine with plain water in the radiator, they wouldn't recommend antifreeze, which they've been doing since ethylene glycol came to market in 1926. If they didn't think a thermostat was needed, they wouldn't design the cooling system with one.

It would be easier to just run 50-50 all year round!
So why not do it?

Sometimes it's possible to be too clever.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 22nd, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:30 PM

Thumbs up

I doubt that it is running cooler because you're using only water. There is no physical reason why this would happen.

It's also possible to run an engine at too low a temperature. An engine is actually more efficient the hotter it runs. There is an upper limit to this, of course, based on the ability of the engine and attached components to withstand the heat, but it doesn't mean that it's good to run at any arbitrarily lower temperature. A good engine operating temperature is 190-195 degrees F.

Not using a thermostat would cause the engine to take longer than normal to reach operating temperature. If you need heat, for example, to heat the interior in the winter or to defrost your windows, you would have to run the engine longer. If you take mostly short trips, your engine may never reach operating temperature, and that's not good for it. All that time that it is not running at operating temperature, combustion is less efficient and giving you poorer gas mileage, excessive cylinder wear, carbon buildup, and other problems.

The bottom line is this. If auto manufacturers thought that a car would run just fine with plain water in the radiator, they wouldn't recommend antifreeze, which they've been doing since ethylene glycol came to market in 1926. If they didn't think a thermostat was needed, they wouldn't design the cooling system with one.

So why not do it?

Just picked up some antifreeze today.

I appreciate all the useful information.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Land Yacht Captain

"Many people have “heard” distilled water is best to use in a cooling system. This is WRONG. While it certainly is true that distilled water’s purity prevents electrolysis and scale/deposit formation, it unfortunately comes with a potentially very damaging side effect. During the distillation process, water is vaporized into it’s gaseous phase, so all impurities are left behind. These impurities include a number of minerals, including calcium and magnesium – the two components of “hardness.” The water is then condensed back into it’s liquid phase, so the resulting liquid is pure water – in fact, some of the purest water on earth. The problem is that when water is distilled, or “stripped” of impurities, the resulting solution is composed of chemically imbalanced “ions.” This leaves distilled water “electrochemically hungry,” so it will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling system as it attempts to chemically re-balance itself. As it chemically removes electrons from the cooling system metals, it does damage that will eventually lead to leaks and system failure. Using distilled water in combination with antifreeze tends to lessen this effect, as the distilled water will seek and find electrochemical balance from the various chemical ingredients in the antifreeze mixture. However, there is still risk involved.

The best type of water to use as coolant is softened water – especially if you run straight water coolant, without antifreeze. During the water softening process, the same impurities and minerals are removed from water as the distillation process – but with one very important distinction. Rather than STRIPPING the impurities from water, softening EXCHANGES the impurities with a sodium ion. The resulting solution is electrochemically stable and ionically balanced, making softened water very stable, pure, and non-threatening to cooling system metals. It should be added, there seems to be a perceptual issue with regard to usage of softened water. Many mistakenly believe that because SALT is added to water softeners, softened water must contain salt, a substance known to be very corrosive. Nothing could be further from the truth. The salt that’s added to a water softener is NaCl, or sodium chloride. During the softening process, only the sodium ion is exchanged into the water, whereas chloride ions are removed when the softener is regenerated. Therefore, softened water does NOT contain corrosive salt."

That was in the FAQ for norosion.com's website. They're
another company making various coolant additives,
including one similar to Water Wetter.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM

The problem is that when water is distilled, or “stripped” of impurities, the resulting solution is composed of chemically imbalanced “ions.” This leaves distilled water “electrochemically hungry,” so it will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling system as it attempts to chemically re-balance itself.
I'm sorry, but this is absolute and utter nonsense and is clearly spoken by a bunch of alchemists who are trying to sell a corrosion inhibitor. There is no such thing as "electrochemically-hungry" water. The water is not "stripped" of its impurities. Pure water is not "chemically imbalanced." Any impurities in it ARE left behind during the distillation process because they have a higher boiling point than water does.

But pure water is perfectly stable. It does self-ionize to form hydrogen (actually hydronium, or H3O+) ions and hydroxide ions to the extent that the hydrogen ion concentration is 10-7 (10 to the -7 power, or 0.0000001) molar. That's why the pH of pure water is 7.

But hydrogen and hydroxide ions are produced in EQUAL amounts, so the concentration of hydroxide (OH-) is also 10-7, and there is no imbalance in the number of ions.

It is true that pure water would be more likely to corrode metal than tap water or water that already has some metals dissolved in it for the simple reason that most everything has some solubility in water, and therefore there is a driving force for materials to dissolve into the water when in contact with it. If some metal ions are already present in the water, such as could be the case for tap water, then that driving force for the metals to dissolve is reduced.

I could go on, but the bottom line is this: nocorosion.com is trying to sell a product that is unneeded in a properly functioning cooling system into which a modern antifreeze has been installed, properly diluted, and changed at the interval recommended by the manufacturer.

One hundred years ago, we called them "snake oil" salesmen. They're still around today. They just have a different name, and they sell snake oil for cars instead of for us.

Tell me, does anyone put STP oil treatment in their oil or STP gas treatment in their gas? Good! Me neither.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:40 PM

Anyways, my 455 with the 180 stat runs 180-185 all day @ 90 degrees outside. 50-50 antifreeze. Aluminum 2 core radiator. I'm happy