Adapting '63 deluxe wheel covers to 15" rims

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Adapting '63 deluxe wheel covers to 15" rims

1963 Olds 98s came with 14" rims, which is creating a problem for me. I can buy a Coker radial tire for $277 a corner that is slightly smaller than stock, or buy a 9.00x14 Coker radial for $227 that is the stock size. If I want to get a radial that fits and fills the wheel wells properly, I am going to have to convert to a 15" wheel.

However, I still want to retain my deluxe wheel covers because I like the stock look. Those wheel covers are held on with five clips that look like this:

These clips snap over the outside of the rim and engage a ring on the inside of the wheel cover to hole it on the wheel.

Here's my idea, and I am trying to find out whether anyone else has tried it. First, I need to buy five 15" steel rims that are the correct bolt pattern for my 98. Next, I would take three of my stock rims and have the outer lip on either side of the rim cut off. Then I would have those lips welded into the 15" rims to give my clips the proper diameter ring to to which to attach.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Oldsdruid

There was a guy at the 2009 Nationals who had adapted a 1960 Ninety Eight's stock wheelcovers to 15" wheels. I think he used some type of 15" trim ring and attached the wheelcover to the ring. It looked great, and the 1960 Deluxe wheelcovers attach to the wheel exactly the same way as your 1963 pieces.

I think that would be simpler than trying to weld a section of another rim to your new 15" jobs. I'd have concerns about balance as well as wheel integrity.
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
There was a guy at the 2009 Nationals who had adapted a 1960 Ninety Eight's stock wheelcovers to 15" wheels. I think he used some type of 15" trim ring and attached the wheelcover to the ring. It looked great, and the 1960 Deluxe wheelcovers attach to the wheel exactly the same way as your 1963 pieces.

I think that would be simpler than trying to weld a section of another rim to your new 15" jobs. I'd have concerns about balance as well as wheel integrity.
The only qualm I have about that is that I really like the clip system that holds the caps on and allows the cover to conceal the valve stem. If I somehow added an adapter, I would have to drill holes in my covers for valve stems.

Something to think about....
Old May 7th, 2013, 02:45 PM

I have been approached by a few guys wondering the same thing and I have redesigned the clip to suit a larger rim and still keep the original hub cap ( I have several 63 98s in the stable). The only thing holding me up right now is I'm in the middle of a retrofit of my 5 axis mill. Once this is finished I can make the tooling and move forward with repoping them.
I figure it will be later this year so it won't help you now,I thought I'd keep you in the loop so you don't screw up your rims and I'm looking into the same thing for the 62s.
Steve
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
I have been approached by a few guys wondering the same thing and I have redesigned the clip to suit a larger rim and still keep the original hub cap ( I have several 63 98s in the stable). The only thing holding me up right now is I'm in the middle of a retrofit of my 5 axis mill. Once this is finished I can make the tooling and move forward with repoping them.
I figure it will be later this year so it won't help you now,I thought I'd keep you in the loop so you don't screw up your rims and I'm looking into the same thing for the 62s.
Steve

That would be AWESOME!
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Just so I am clear, if you're going to definitely do this, I will be glad to wait and buy a new set of clips. I think they would be a big seller because I can't be the only person facing this dilemma. I thought of this as an option but ruled it out because I certainly don't have the resources to make the clips.

You should probably package 20 of them with a set of five new powdercoated rims....
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM

Hi Norm, I've got alot of parts that people need and want and yes this is on the list of things to do.
Are you going to Lansing in June? I'm planning on attending.
Steve
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
Hi Norm, I've got alot of parts that people need and want and yes this is on the list of things to do.
Are you going to Lansing in June? I'm planning on attending.
Steve
Steve, since my house is about three miles from the secondary complex, I think I can probably make my way over there. I always volunteer to work from 8-10 helping direct traffic. I'd love to talk to you there.
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Steve, also I was looking at your list of parts to do and I saw the cruise parts on your list. I ended up having a friend machine the straight gear for the controller out of aluminum and build a metal bracket to reinforce the housing. The useful life of those plastic parts ended a long, long time ago! I would be willing to bet that none of the original factory parts are still useable. Good for you to put these parts on your list of things to reproduce.

I still have to get the cruise parts installed on the car, but at least the control **** will work....
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Norm, I'll be driving over in our 04 Bravada and we will be hanging out with the Starfire people or with the flea market crew so ask around and we can meet.
I'll be wearing a JASWEST hat if this helps.
Steve