67 Olds 98

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:14 PM

67 Olds 98

OK, so I took off the valve covers today to see what was rattling around in there. Loose rocker, no biggie. Then I notice there is no oil. I turn the car on and sure enough, no oil is coming up at all. Any ideas? I assume there is adequate pressure since no oil light has come on. Am I sludged up somewhere? Flat can do this? Neither side has any oil coming out. Thanks, Trent
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:29 AM

I would put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it first. I have seen the oil pump pickup screen packed with neoprene from the timing gears. The engine still ran fine. I would pull the timing cover/oil pan, new oil pump/timing set, if the engine ran fine beside of this ticking. Jmo, Ken
Old September 21st, 2013, 08:52 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

You know, I found just about the same thing on my '67 330. Idling without valve covers, there was nothing spraying/running out. I was worried, but I talked to an engine builder who asked if there was any unusual wear showing on the rockers or pivots. There wasn't, so he said don't worry about it - it's obviously getting enough oil to lubricate the parts.
Old September 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by copper128
You know, I found just about the same thing on my '67 330. Idling without valve covers, there was nothing spraying/running out. I was worried, but I talked to an engine builder who asked if there was any unusual wear showing on the rockers or pivots. There wasn't, so he said don't worry about it - it's obviously getting enough oil to lubricate the parts.
Thanks, I don't know if I would "not worry about it". But, what I did was ran some engine de-sludge and oil began flowing like crazy to the point I thought I was gonna start my car on fire. Lol. Cylinder pumped up, rocker arm got tight, knocking noise is gone and all is well. Thanks for your reply though!
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Change your oil filter soon. Jmo, Ken
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by tfatboy
what I did was ran some engine de-sludge
What the actual name of the product you used?
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Engine still running fine? Ken
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:07 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Engine still running fine? Ken
Ken, Sorry, I haven't been on here for awhile. Yes it is running fine! I tore it all apart, repainted the car, refurbished the steering wheel, got the dash pad repaired, clock repaired and converted to quartz movement, undercoated the car, redid the trunk, new speakers, refurbished the rocker panels, new seatbelts, etc. A LOT OF STUFF! I am almost all done. Unfortunately, the summer is almost over too! LOL. It is one big shiny red boat! I'll post some pictures when I am all done. Hopefully by next weekend, since I entered a car show! Trent
Old July 15th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Good to hear Trent. BTW summer is not nearly over here.
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Good to hear Trent. BTW summer is not nearly over here.
Well, I suppose it's not here either. I've just been depressed not having my car to drive. I started all this in February, and it's taking forever! There is light at the end of the tunnel now though!! I'm so close! Last of the parts I ordered arrive Thursday. Then, all I need is that stupid hood release handle, which I can't find anywhere but oldsobsoltete for a fortune, and my car is completely completed!