66 olds ninty eight

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM

66 olds ninty eight

i just picked up a 66 olds ninty eight. i was wondering what transmition it has. the engine is a 425. i thought they had TH400 but not sure. this car has not ben plated since 1974. the interior is very nice and the body has very little rust (if any) but the old man that had it sure beat it up.
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Oldsdruid

It has the early version of the Turbo 400 with a switch-pitch torque converter. Look at the back of the engine on the throttle linkage and you'll see a round gizmo with two sets of wires. One is for the transmission's electric downshift, the other controls its stator pitch.
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
It has the early version of the Turbo 400 with a switch-pitch torque converter. Look at the back of the engine on the throttle linkage and you'll see a round gizmo with two sets of wires. One is for the transmission's electric downshift, the other controls its stator pitch.
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM

thanks. i was hoping it was a variable pitch converter 400. i have read alot about them. i did see the "gizmo" it looks like bran new, and yes it does have 2 sets of wires coming out.
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM

i will be forced to part this car out. the older guy that owned it said he lost the title and will not try to get one. he was selling it as a demo derby car. i just could not let it go to its grave in a derby with so many good parts. does anyone know how i could title it? if not it will be parted.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Search on line for lost title services.....there are a few and its like 100 bucks I think to get a title. In some states it is easy to get a title. This company gets a title for the car in that state then they get it transferred to your state and you now have a title.....it works.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Registered

Is this the car that was on Craigslist Cleveland? I never heard about any demo derby deal with that one so maybe not. If it is glad somebody finally bought it to put it out of it's misery one way or another.

I keep seeing really good deals on cars lately but I have too many pots on the fire now, I need a bigger fire.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
2 '66 98's

Hey!! jensenracing77 - welcome to the site. I am a die-hard '66 98 man. I have two running cars, a Holiday sedan and a convertible. I also have a complete convertible parts car. I am the advisor for these cars for OCA. What model do you have?? Is it a conv, 2 door, 4 door or what?? What options does it have?? If you decide to get a title and fix the car up, I will be glad to help in any way I can. I have a number of extra parts - both used and NOS. How about posting some pictures. Bruce

Last edited by bigoldscruiser; February 7th, 2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM

X2 on getting a title. Do some research, you will be able to title the old girl.
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM

no, it was in indiana. i got it for $400
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM

bruce, i am the one that called you the other day. the car has all the options i know of. most all work. the engine does not run, it is missing the carb, distributor, and starter. i am not sure if it is locked up yet. the delux wheel has a couple cracks in it. the A/C still has pressure on the system. if someone wants to buy this car i will sell it but i will part it out if not. it has a power trunk but i have not tested it yet due to lack of vacuum (engine not running). the AM radio works great. the car has very minamal rust but would take quite some work to restore due to all the dints and dings. the bumbers are bent up. i will post some pics as soon as i can figure out how.
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM

what ever happened to this car?
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM

parts you may need.

i have a 1965 olds 98sl lots of very good body parts and trim. we are just parting it out. also have a good running 425 high comp. engine ( smokes) and trans. we bought it out of Az. so very little rust. we are completly restoring a 65 98ls frame off.
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM

i just started to take parts off this car if anyone needs any for a 66 98
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM

What is the condition of hood and chrome moldings on the car?...Thanks
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Registered Abuser

What is so special about the early 400 trans? I missed that. Any direction to a forum to help me understand?
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM

66 98 parts needs -- we talking 2 door or 4 door?

I have a 345,000 98 convert that we just used today to take the family to lunch. If the one you're parting out is a 2 door, I'd like to talk / write to/with you about the various 2 door moldings. Mine are o.k., but the clips are shot and they rattle like crazy. Plus sooner or later it may get in an accident. You can repair door panels, but once you hurt the moldings they're impossible or fiercely expensive to restore...

Also I'd be interested if it has the factory tilt & tele wheel, cruise control and so on.

I'm good for vacuum trunk release, but if the wiring harnesses are mostly good, I'm interested in those as well: engine, main/dash, window, and trunk.

Oh - if the really long emergency brake cable is still good, it'd be great to have a spare of one of those on hand. Not like they'll ever be made again...

cf
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
What is the condition of hood and chrome moldings on the car?...Thanks
the hood is beautiful. zero rust under the nose. it does have a spot about one foot square on top that has had the paint missing and has surface rust but not really an issue. the center chrome has no pitting that i remember. i will have to look at it again. i had someone contact me about 2 months ago about this hood but i lost who it was and never got back to them. was that you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3344545863_c09c09f098_o.jpg (29.7 KB, 19 views)
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by cfair
I have a 345,000 98 convert that we just used today to take the family to lunch. If the one you're parting out is a 2 door, I'd like to talk / write to/with you about the various 2 door moldings. Mine are o.k., but the clips are shot and they rattle like crazy. Plus sooner or later it may get in an accident. You can repair door panels, but once you hurt the moldings they're impossible or fiercely expensive to restore...

Also I'd be interested if it has the factory tilt & tele wheel, cruise control and so on.

I'm good for vacuum trunk release, but if the wiring harnesses are mostly good, I'm interested in those as well: engine, main/dash, window, and trunk.

Oh - if the really long emergency brake cable is still good, it'd be great to have a spare of one of those on hand. Not like they'll ever be made again...

cf
this is a 4 door. i don't know what will work for you but i think that the wiring from the dash forward would be the same. the wiring on this car is very nice and not chopped up. this pic is the only one i have now but if you are interested i can take more and send them to you by regular e mail better. it is not a t/t wheel column
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM

My brother in law just picked up a 1966 4 door 98 LS on the weekend to restore. Very complete and solid car but I will let him know about your car you are parting out in case he needs something!
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Motor and Trans

No idea what's wrong with the motor then? I have the motor pulled out of my 66 Ninety-Eight right now and may need a lot of parts for it. If I can get a motor to swap in while I rebuild that'd be great. I am definitely interested in the trans. I believe I also need a head or tail light assembly. Not sure which, I'll have to get out to the garage soon and check.

Thanks

Last edited by seabeepirate; August 12th, 2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
the hood is beautiful. zero rust under the nose. it does have a spot about one foot square on top that has had the paint missing and has surface rust but not really an issue. the center chrome has no pitting that i remember. i will have to look at it again. i had someone contact me about 2 months ago about this hood but i lost who it was and never got back to them. was that you?
Possibly it was me, dont remember the picture though....do you have a shipper that would ship this to NJ and what would it cost?....Thanks
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by seabeepirate
No idea what's wrong with the motor then? I have the motor pulled out of my 66 Ninety-Eight right now and may need a lot of parts for it. If I can get a motor to swap in while I rebuild that'd be great. I am definitely interested in the trans. I believe I also need a head or tail light assembly. Not sure which, I'll have to get out to the garage soon and check.

Thanks
the engine is locked up. this car has sat since 1974. i have no idea what condition the transmission is in after sitting that long. i would part the engine out but not wanting to sell the trans at this time. the heads are B. it would be a while till i have the time to pull anything off this engine. i have 2 other orders to ship out and only do this as a side hobby. just let me know if you need anything. i have the light assemblies also.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Possibly it was me, dont remember the picture though....do you have a shipper that would ship this to NJ and what would it cost?....Thanks
if it is under 100 LBS i can ship it greyhound for cheeper than anywhere else. i will have to find out. sorry i lost track of you.