1976 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Right Hand Drive In Australia

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2013, 05:10 AM

1976 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Right Hand Drive In Australia

I recently purchased a 76 Olds 98 but the main problem is i live in Australia and this car may be the only 76 98 in the country not 100% sure but chances are it is, Also the car is Right Hand Drive as its come from Japan as an ex embassy car and last rego was in 1982.

Im need of help with where to how to get parts for this car, ill upload various pictures of the to show the car also how its right hand drive and how they must of converted it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (195.6 KB, 128 views)
4.jpg (224.5 KB, 132 views)
5.jpg (252.8 KB, 157 views)
6.jpg (156.1 KB, 114 views)
7.jpg (158.5 KB, 120 views)
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:13 AM

Here are some of the engine bay, they must of had to put a indictor in the front right, i plan to get rid of that as the other side does not have light just the hole for it
Attached Images
13.jpg (279.3 KB, 95 views)
14.jpg (261.0 KB, 79 views)
15.jpg (155.3 KB, 78 views)
8.jpg (211.1 KB, 74 views)
17.jpg (113.4 KB, 76 views)
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:16 AM

Who can help with !976 Oldsmobile 98 Parts Chrome/Moldings & trim

Now for the sad part, i am missing chrome and also if anyone can explain how the chrome works for this car as when i bought the car everything was in the boot, i hope all this is for the car but its all a bit strange to me, If you recognize parts of the chrome please tell me where it goes.

Also if you know where to get these parts for this car from please let me know as im in Australia i really dont know except for ebay
Attached Images
10.jpg (174.5 KB, 48 views)
11.jpg (155.2 KB, 63 views)
12.jpg (213.8 KB, 53 views)
8.jpg (211.1 KB, 46 views)
9.jpg (258.2 KB, 45 views)
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:42 AM

The only source for body, trim, and interior parts for these cars is from donor cars. To be frank, from your photos, that car looks like a mess and a half. Especially the dashboard. Why are all the gauges exposed like that?

You're going to have to get in touch with junkyards around the U.S. The internet is a good place to find them, but you'll likely be sending lots of emails and making phone calls. But be prepared for lots of dead ends as these cars are just not in high demand, and many that are too far gone and that might have been good parts cars have been crushed over the years.
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by nickoff1
I recently purchased a 76 Olds 98 but the main problem is i live in Australia and this car may be the only 76 98 in the country not 100% sure but chances are it is, Also the car is Right Hand Drive as its come from Japan as an ex embassy car and last rego was in 1982.

Im need of help with where to how to get parts for this car, ill upload various pictures of the to show the car also how its right hand drive and how they must of converted it!
Hey Nick thanks for the pics. Wow! This is such a first for me! Although it looks like all of the original parts were flipped and modified that speedometer is actually a very different one than original and I never even heard of it before. Not only is it in Kmh, but it's actually made in reverse too! The Oldsmobile rocket emblem should actually be on the right side, not the left and that speedo faceplate is all one piece so that was made that way....VERY STRANGE! Have any of you guys seen anything like this before on any other cars? Also, since the speedo plate is flipped, the fuel gauge is also on the opposite side. You seem to be missing some parts to the speedo cluster but unless there are pieces that work in this reversed manner, I don't think the original parts will really work without modification. I can post pics of what this speedo and dash should look like which should help you try to reassemble yours. I don't have any pics on this computer

Like jaunty said, your car does need some help and being in Australia isn't going to make it much easier for you. I have a pair of correct red (mahogany is the name of your interior color) lower rear door panels if you're interested. Check with Dave djcrook73 as he has some interior parts in this same color...from the same car as my panels in fact.
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

With the driver on the right and the master cylinder on the left, how on earth do the brakes work?

- Eric
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hey Nick thanks for the pics. Wow! This is such a first for me! Although it looks like all of the original parts were flipped and modified that speedometer is actually a very different one than original and I never even heard of it before. Not only is it in Kmh, but it's actually made in reverse too! The Oldsmobile rocket emblem should actually be on the right side, not the left and that speedo faceplate is all one piece so that was made that way....VERY STRANGE! Have any of you guys seen anything like this before on any other cars? Also, since the speedo plate is flipped, the fuel gauge is also on the opposite side. You seem to be missing some parts to the speedo cluster but unless there are pieces that work in this reversed manner, I don't think the original parts will really work without modification. I can post pics of what this speedo and dash should look like which should help you try to reassemble yours. I don't have any pics on this computer

Like jaunty said, your car does need some help and being in Australia isn't going to make it much easier for you. I have a pair of correct red (mahogany is the name of your interior color) lower rear door panels if you're interested. Check with Dave djcrook73 as he has some interior parts in this same color...from the same car as my panels in fact.

Hey speedo faceplate actually has been cut and soldered together and the surrounded had the same thing cut and reattached. Yes some pictures of the dash would really help!

the rear left door trim is perfect its the other ones that i need to find aswell as the chrome any tips for hunting down chrome?. Could you post some pictures of the door panels? You are such a big help!

Ill msg djcrook73 regarding door panels and other parts etc.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
With the driver on the right and the master cylinder on the left, how on earth do the brakes work?

- Eric

hahah actually i have not looked but it seemes to stop the car!
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:10 AM

Hey speedo faceplate actually has been cut and soldered together and the surrounded had the same thing cut and reattached. Yes some pictures of the dash would really help!

the rear left door trim is perfect its the other ones that i need to find aswell as the chrome any tips for hunting down chrome?. Could you post some pictures of the door panels? You are such a big help!

Ill msg djcrook73 regarding door panels and other parts etc.
Hey Nick,

I believe Dave still has the upper rear panels and complete fronts but please check with him. His car is also a sedan so he may have some of the chrome trim you need. Are you able to figure out which pieces of chrome you need on your car? Did you buy the car in the shape it's in or did you take it apart yourself? I can now see the seem where you say the speedo was cut and soldered. I'm not really sure why that was done, along with relocating the fuel gauge. You do have the tilt/telescope steering which is fairly rare and a nice option. Here are some pics of the rear lower door panels I am selling. Somebody else is interested in them as well but I have not yet heard back from him.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZOWzhy0cMWL_I

As for the brakes, I would imagine there is some kind of linkage under the dash that connects the brake pedal to the booster on the opposite side. I can see something under the dash but can't really figure it out just yet. Speaking of under the dash, where is the lower dash? That would have to be modified quite a bit as well since it's cut to go around the column.

I've also attached a couple of pics that should help you see the factory dash setup. The one with the 3 spoke wheel (tilt/telescope) is my red 98's dash currently and the other is the black 98's from when I had just started reassembling it. Both are mostly the same. I hope this helps a bit.

John
Attached Images
Olds dash.jpg (41.6 KB, 61 views)
Red Olds Dash.jpg (29.4 KB, 64 views)
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As for the brakes, I would imagine there is some kind of linkage under the dash that connects the brake pedal to the booster on the opposite side.
I think it's magic.

- Eric
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I think it's magic.

- Eric
You're probably right. This car looks like it's full of tricks!
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:10 PM

Hey Nick,

I believe Dave still has the upper rear panels and complete fronts but please check with him. His car is also a sedan so he may have some of the chrome trim you need. Are you able to figure out which pieces of chrome you need on your car? Did you buy the car in the shape it's in or did you take it apart yourself? I can now see the seem where you say the speedo was cut and soldered. I'm not really sure why that was done, along with relocating the fuel gauge. You do have the tilt/telescope steering which is fairly rare and a nice option. Here are some pics of the rear lower door panels I am selling. Somebody else is interested in them as well but I have not yet heard back from him.

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZOWzhy0cMWL_I

As for the brakes, I would imagine there is some kind of linkage under the dash that connects the brake pedal to the booster on the opposite side. I can see something under the dash but can't really figure it out just yet. Speaking of under the dash, where is the lower dash? That would have to be modified quite a bit as well since it's cut to go around the column.

I've also attached a couple of pics that should help you see the factory dash setup. The one with the 3 spoke wheel (tilt/telescope) is my red 98's dash currently and the other is the black 98's from when I had just started reassembling it. Both are mostly the same. I hope this helps a bit.

John
So there both rear panels?

Ill take em! i sent dave a msg just waiting to hear back? just trying to think if i buy some stuff of you if theres anything else you have that i could use that way the who postage to Australia situation only have to do a smaller number of times,

did you wanna discuss payment etc over email eg my email address is nickoff1@hotmail.com or you can give me urs and ill email you either way.

THank you soo much for you help
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:07 AM

So there both rear panels?

Ill take em! i sent dave a msg just waiting to hear back? just trying to think if i buy some stuff of you if theres anything else you have that i could use that way the who postage to Australia situation only have to do a smaller number of times,

did you wanna discuss payment etc over email eg my email address is nickoff1@hotmail.com or you can give me urs and ill email you either way.

THank you soo much for you help
Hi Nick,

Yes, that is both, left and right lower, rear door panels. Please pay attention to the pictures to see that one is nearly 100% perfect while the other has a small tear which is shown in the pictures. I will double check with the first person that asked about them to see if he still wants them. If not, I will hold them for you. Try to post some more pictures of your interior and let me know what else is missing or damaged in your car that you need. I'll see what I can do to find you what you need.

I will send you a PM with my info.

John
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

hi nick, i love the fact that you have what's probably the best ghetto cruiser down under period! i double checked my messages to see if i missed yours, but do not see you in there brother. i do have some parts for you, and am not junking the car right away so we can figure out what you need and figure out a way to get to you in the best and safest possible manor.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by djcrook73
hi nick, i love the fact that you have what's probably the best ghetto cruiser down under period! i double checked my messages to see if i missed yours, but do not see you in there brother. i do have some parts for you, and am not junking the car right away so we can figure out what you need and figure out a way to get to you in the best and safest possible manor.
Good man Dave!

Don't forget some of the parts on that car still have my name on them

PS. I'm working on getting you a piece of stainless trim for the hood edge lip moulding

John
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:53 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

nick pm sent- i have some good stuff for you for sure, it's just a matter of time for me pulling the parts and figuring out the best way to package them, whether it's a box,crate or combination of all! john i'll make sure i call/message you before she goes bye bye- so far three guys on here need stuff so i think that's great considering this stuff is not easy to find even on ebay. my rule of thumb is if it's not there, it's gonna be a bitch to find! i think im going to paint mine in the spring so im starting to get excited as the car done will look killer! i think im also going to remove the front clip and detail the engine compartment and swap to w z manifolds and duals with a carb rebuild and tune up since the wires came with the car down the assembly line!you of all people know how it snowballs!
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:56 PM
pimp ghetto sled lover

oh yeah, nick what color was the top before you removed it?
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM

john i'll make sure i call/message you before she goes bye bye- so far three guys on here need stuff so i think that's great considering this stuff is not easy to find even on ebay. my rule of thumb is if it's not there, it's gonna be a bitch to find! i think im going to paint mine in the spring so im starting to get excited as the car done will look killer! i think im also going to remove the front clip and detail the engine compartment and swap to w z manifolds and duals with a carb rebuild and tune up since the wires came with the car down the assembly line!you of all people know how it snowballs!
Thanks Dave!

I have a list at home of stuff that I definitely still want from that girl before she goes! Stuff that will be pretty easy for you to remove. I actually know of a guy that may want to buy the shell when you're done with it so let's look at that as yet another way that car can help out some others.

I totally hear ya on the snowball effect. I love having the w/z manifolds with duals on my cars...it looks, sounds and runs so much better. Hopefully you'll have the car ready for the New England show in September!

John
Old January 10th, 2013, 09:03 PM

oh yeah, nick what color was the top before you removed it?
By top you mean the vinyl roof? It was Red and the hood lining also red,

Im gonna paint it black with a black vinyl to cover up the inperfection of the roof!

I can't wait to get those parts, im really excited!
Old January 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM

Good man Dave!

Don't forget some of the parts on that car still have my name on them

PS. I'm working on getting you a piece of stainless trim for the hood edge lip moulding

John
Is this for a 76 98?
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Is this for a 76 98?
Hi Nick,

Yes, Dave's '76 98 is missing the trim at the back edge of the hood. Some came with a piece of plastic trim that did not stand the test of time, while most came with a piece of stainless steel trim.

Speaking of plastic trim, the trim around the quarter windows is typically bad by now too...you just have to get lucky finding a decent original set unless you can find them reproduced.
John
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM

Hi Nick,

Yes, Dave's '76 98 is missing the trim at the back edge of the hood. Some came with a piece of plastic trim that did not stand the test of time, while most came with a piece of stainless steel trim.

Speaking of plastic trim, the trim around the quarter windows is typically bad by now too...you just have to get lucky finding a decent original set unless you can find them reproduced.
John
That makes sense regarding edge of hood, hopefully the ones on Dave mobile that he was going to ship to me will be good enough, i dont really have to much of a choice, ive got the left side, but its crack and all peeled. Its not usable at all!
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:27 PM

I have a complete parts car that is in pretty good shape. Please contact pamandgreg@consolidated.net. Or 217-823-3601.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Demo426
I have a complete parts car that is in pretty good shape. Please contact pamandgreg@consolidated.net. Or 217-823-3601.
could you upload some photos?
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:54 PM

By top you mean the vinyl roof? It was Red and the hood lining also red,

Im gonna paint it black with a black vinyl to cover up the inperfection of the roof!

I can't wait to get those parts, im really excited!
Hey nick all black on the outside is my favorite! Luckily for you, your interior will go well with that paint color as it was an original combination. It was also done with a burgundy top to match the interior.

John
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:22 PM

Hey nick all black on the outside is my favorite! Luckily for you, your interior will go well with that paint color as it was an original combination. It was also done with a burgundy top to match the interior.

John
really burgundy top thats kinda cool, yea i think black and black will be even cooler! have you got a photo with one thats has burgundy to match?
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Hey Nick, here are pics from the last Olds show I went to. The triple black and burgundy 98's are mine while the blue and other black/burgundy are friends' cars. Hoping to have even more 98's together next year.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZOWzhy0cMWL9A

John
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:15 PM

Hey Nick, here are pics from the last Olds show I went to. The triple black and burgundy 98's are mine while the blue and other black/burgundy are friends' cars. Hoping to have even more 98's together next year.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AZOWzhy0cMWL9A

John
They are soo cool, thats amazing, unbelieveable!!!!
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:17 AM
pimp ghetto sled lover

love the photos, hope to have mine in the line up this year!
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:58 AM

love the photos, hope to have mine in the line up this year!
Same here Dave!

We have another friend with a blue/white '76 Regency coupe that should be there this year too. We could actually have 7 '75/'76 Ninety Eight Regency's at the same show!
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Hey theres some right hand drive 77's, http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belle...98s/1010371236

There in my state!
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:53 PM

Hey theres some right hand drive 77's, http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belle...98s/1010371236

There in my state!
Wow I guess there are other rh drive Oldsmobiles out there! It never ceases to amaze me how much they changed the 98 from 76 to 77...there is next to no resemblance whatsoever and the 77 is SO boxy.
Old January 14th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Hey Nick, I am in WA with a 1982 Olds 98 Regency Brougham, RH converted with 100kms on clock very original. I have sorted some parts out of the states mainly aftermarket parts from Carparts Wholesale. Cheers Mike
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:16 PM

I agree 76 to 77 bit boxy i love the biggness of the 77, heres a RHD 79 looks kinda cool http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/roma/...h-d/1012228180
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Machwest
Hey Nick, I am in WA with a 1982 Olds 98 Regency Brougham, RH converted with 100kms on clock very original. I have sorted some parts out of the states mainly aftermarket parts from Carparts Wholesale. Cheers Mike
Thanks Mike i will check them out, im trying to get the car ready for oldsmobile nations in Tassy next year or is it this year?
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:26 PM

Rare car, I think I supplied you with a right hand door glass a few years ago, here from California. Rather large car for Japanese streets.Paul
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Hey Nick, how's the 98 coming along? Have you given any thought to putting it back to LH drive?
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Nick: Do yourself a favor and buy an official 1976 Oldsmobile service manual. These are your best resource for reassembling your car. I found a few used manual for sale on Amazon.com for $10-20 USD.

Next, get the car running & driveable. Assess any rust and bad mechanicals before you start to work on cosmetics. You don't want to spend time & money making it look nice only to find it has structural rust!

If there is a specific missing trim bit that members on this forum cannot help with, buy an issue of Hemming Motor News and call used parts suppliers here in the US. These cars are getting hard to find, but with diligence you can track many components down. Also set up an alert on eBay for "1976 Oldsmobile 98" so you'll get notifications when specific parts are listed. This is how I found the hood trim for my 1966 Buick LeSabre 400!

Last edited by Kaline; February 11th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by San Fernando Olds
Rare car, I think I supplied you with a right hand door glass a few years ago, here from California. Rather large car for Japanese streets.Paul
Hey, really? i only got this car last year, but thats cool!
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:42 AM

Hey Nick, how's the 98 coming along? Have you given any thought to putting it back to LH drive?
Actually just about to msg dj crook73 with the parts i need, and funny enough was gonna msg you aswell regarding those door trims if indeed there still available? and was gonna ask if their was other parts you had for a 76 98 so if i was gonna ship stuff might aswell get everything at once!

Hows your 98's going? did that event happen? send me pics sucks i can't go!

Quick Reply: 1976 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Right Hand Drive In Australia