1955 Olds 98 starfire conv.

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:31 PM

1955 Olds 98 starfire conv.

I looked at this car today a local man is selling for $18K. It is diver quality but looks nice (20 footer) and the engine is clean, painted correctly (probably original). The top doesn't work and don't know why but it's in good condition. Only surface rust underneath but looks pretty decent. Here is the problem:

Owner bought it 12 years ago and the door tag that is supposed to be on the driver's door jamb isn't there. So the current owner had the car re-VINed by the state MVD and it's all legal now. But, doesn't it hurt the value because there is no original door jamb tag? I'm a Packard guy and don't know where to look for whatever numbers there are to look for.

Where is the engine number?

Are there any body numbers to look for?

Any help is appreciated.
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:50 AM

I found this post searching through some older posts. Does this sound right?

I am old, and have a fair amount of knowledge, but I don't remember everything that I have looked at in the last 70 years. To answer your question, yes I do know. The "hidden" VIN on a 1955 full size Oldsmobile is located on the right (passenger) side, top of the frame rail 12" to the rear of the cross-member, on the downhill slope.
Please post a picture of it when you locate it....

I think it means downhill slope from where frame goes over differential? I'm not sure but anyone please advise.

Also, how does this hurt the value of the car if at all? Because it has re-VIN from the state that I'm sure won't match up with the frame VIN.
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:28 AM

At $18,000 for a "20-footer," according to the price guides, he already has the car heavily discounted. The price guides put the value of this car at almost $50,000. Get it up to showroom condition, and the value approaches $75,000.

Oldsmobile 98 Starfire convertibles from the 1950s are some of the most valued collector cars out there. If this car is at all good, I'd say buy it before the seller wakes up and realizes what he's doing.

As far as the re-VIN-ing of the car, sure, it'll probably affect value in some people's minds, especially those who strongly value "numbers-matching." But if you can ultimately find the other location where the original VIN is stamped, it can still be shown to be numbers-matching. In the end, though, the car is the car is the car, and it's still a '55 Olds 98 convertible, and there you go. Buy it before I do!
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM

It's doubtful if anyone will ever look at that vin # on the frame, for one it's hard to find when the body is off let alone when it's on the frame, just think when did you last check the frame vin on a car you were going to buy if you had the door vin and the pink? There are no other numbers to match up on a 55 such as engine or transmission numbers so I would go for it if your truly interested, the price seems reasonable, though not cheep and it's doubtful if not much or probably no loss of value because of a legal reissue of the vin. This car it is a very desirable ride and they seldom come up for sale......Tedd
Old April 6th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Hi

Any pictures of the stamped VIN on the frame

Thanks
Old April 6th, 2019, 08:25 PM

This is a almost 6 year old post doubtful that the original poster is still around...... Tedd
Old April 7th, 2019, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
This is a almost 6 year old post doubtful that the original poster is still around...... Tedd

Ohh, yes But anyone else have a picture of their VIN on the frame
Old April 7th, 2019, 05:04 AM
Registered Thread Killer

Possibly around the frame section that goes over the axle? Worth a peek maybe.
Old April 7th, 2019, 09:22 AM

Just a after thought but you might give 2bl442 a call (PM) he is parting a 55 and a 54 and has the bodies off the frame maybe he can see where the numbers are if they are still visible.... Tedd