The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Howdy, Olds guys and Gals ...........

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Angry Howdy, Olds guys and Gals ...........

I've read a lot of posts, but this is my first question. I have an '83 Olds Cutlass with a 307 OLDS, not sbc. I have a brand new '76 HEI dist. w/vacuum. I pulled ALL the computer stuff off, put in a Howards "lite" cam, w/new hyd. lifters and new chain. I pulled EVERYTHING off the alum. stock intake and filled in the exhaust crossover and plugged the bottom where the long exh. gas mixers were. I tried to get the computer q-jet to work, no deal!! I got and adapter and put on a carter, 'cause that's all I could find. I have put on a second intake gasket, because the back gasket fell out and I just siliconed the front and back. HERE'S the problem; I can only run the motor with the choke 7/8 closed. Yup, I know that says vacuum leak. But I've done the carb cleaner trick and got just a little increase from the Carter gasket. Changed it. Just a tiny bit better. The rockers are clattering. Took the cover off the left side, all the rockers are tight. After much internal debate with my self, I'm going to grind a 1/32 off the stand, 'cause I'm retired and can afford a Mondello fix. I will say this, there seems to be a "hunnert" vacuum ports on the intake and believe I plugged 'em all, but I'm at a loss. I'm 74 been doing this stuff since the mid '50's and I have no clue. I have not done a compression check, yet. Hep me Hep me!!!
John Wm. Zick
Vero Beach, FL
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site John. If you are getting a rise in rpm, even a small one, you have a vacuum leak. The vacuum leak can also be under the dash, have you isolated that out of the equation? Have you checked how much wear is on the rockers and perches? What is your oil pressure? On the Hei, what did you set your timing to? How much vacuum is the engine pulling and is the needle steady?
Old June 30th, 2015, 05:18 PM

Thank you for your response, Eric .........
The dash is isolated, the rockers and perches have a fair bit of wear, the oil pressure is about 45 lbs at approx 2500, no tack yet. I'm having a tough time regarding the timing. I have a piece of crap for a timing light, but I think it's about 28 deg. I'm goin' to buy a vacuum gauge tomorrow 'cause I have no clue about it. I'm bettin' on the valves 'cause I think I've eliminated most everything else. The guy I got the Carter from is THEE blower guy in the area and he indicated the car he took it off was running good, but he (cust) wanted a Holley. So thanks again Eric! If this was a SBC I wouldn't have any problems that I wouldn't know about. But I'm determined to make this Olds run!!!
John Wm. Zick
Vero Beach, FL
Old June 30th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Administrator

The principles of engine operation are basically the same in all engines.

Since you replaced the cam, your pushrods may be too short. I can see a couple of them tapping but if they all are then its usually not the rockers. You can get an adjustable pushrod, verify the rocker position on the valve and order the right length. Google how to check pushrod length on an Oldsmobile engine. Grinding 1/32 of the pedestal can work. I know in the past I've gotten new rockers and perches from my local parts store.

The Carter is not an issue as many run the Edelbrock version of the AFB.

Is your 28 degrees at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected?
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:55 AM

Good Morning, Oldcutlass ...............
Thanks for your response. I agree with all that you've said. The 28 degrees was when I was first trying to get it set up, and I'm not sure it was "at idle." That's because I didn't have anything (idle specs) to rely on because I didn't realize the "vacuum leak" problems and also the need to set the choke to a richer setting. Back in the 70's I had a SUN 947 scope etc. Sure wish I had it now.
I am absolutely proud of this site, and the number fellow car guys that had the courtesy to respond to my issues. Thanks to all!