The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hi 49 olds 88

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2015, 06:39 PM

Hi 49 olds 88

New to the form as of today. Just bought my first car to restore hope I didn't bite off more then I can Chew. Car is pretty much complete except missing front and rear bumpers so I'll be in search of them if anyone know where I can find them would be great. Also does anyone know about a great drum to disk conversion? I'm stoked to get it running and on the road. Thank you
Old March 1st, 2015, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, we do like pictures. I'll let others with more knowledge of your model chime in on the brakes.
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:18 PM

Maybe some help for you

Originally Posted by Razorback1999
New to the form as of today. Just bought my first car to restore hope I didn't bite off more then I can Chew. Car is pretty much complete except missing front and rear bumpers so I'll be in search of them if anyone know where I can find them would be great. Also does anyone know about a great drum to disk conversion? I'm stoked to get it running and on the road. Thank you
Blucar on this forum has a 49 Olds. If you look on the vintage olds forum under the thread "46-47-48 Oldsmobiles, How many have them?" on page 5 of that thread, at about post 167 I think he discusses the fact that he 'clipped' the front end of his 49 with a setup from fat man fabrications and gained disk brakes, r&p steering and other improvements. You might want to contact him to discuss your project. I'm sure he would have a wealth of information for you. If you look up the post I mentioned you can click on his name and send him a pm (personal message).
Welcome to CO and as mentioned, we do like pictures and reports on build progress.
Jerry
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:37 PM

Thank y'all so much I have a few pics not very good this car has been in a apartment garage for over 7 years very low light . The pics I got where side views I'll pick it up Saturday and get better pics.

Side view

Engine bay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (32.1 KB, 17 views)
image.jpg (31.6 KB, 16 views)
image.jpg (25.4 KB, 11 views)
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:00 AM

Response to your parts search

Originally Posted by Razorback1999

Razorback, Blucar received your personal message but could not respond because you have not activated your pm feature here on Classic Olds. I think you will have to go back into your personal information and take care of that if you want to be able to do PMs.

Secondly, he did post a message on the "1946 to 1948 How Many Own Them" thread under Vintage Oldsmobile sub forum letting us know he couldn't respond to your pm and saying he has been inactive on the forum due to his wife's poor health.

Once you are cleared to post on all forums you might go to the Vintage Oldsmobile sub-forum and post a message there on your search for 49 bumpers and anything else 49 you need.

I also suggest you Google "disk brakes on 49 Oldsmobile" and see what turns up. I think there are places out there in the cyber world that make the kits in addition to Fatman. Quality on these kits is a whole 'nother question.
Jerry