The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New guy, old Olds

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:43 AM

New guy, old Olds

Hi,

I'm helping my dad restore his 55 Super 88 coupe, which was also his first new car. Trying to get it on the road in time for him to enjoy it while he's still driving. No pics yet, it's nearly ready for paint and I've been working on restoring some odds and ends myself. Look forward to asking a few questions, and clearing out his excess 55-56 parts once this project is completed. Thanks!
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

welcome...'55's are my favorite (as my collection indicates)

looking forward to some pictures
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:39 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome, where are you in MD. I am over on the Eastern Shore outside of Easton.

Larry
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Russ P in MD,

Welcome aboard,love those 55's. It would be nice to see some before and after shots of your car, always fun to look back and admire your progress. ..Lost in the fifties..... Tedd

PS. I gotta ask, you said there were extra parts that you wanted to sell do you by chance have a extra hood for a 55, I could use one....Tedd
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Russ P in MD,

Welcome aboard,love those 55's. It would be nice to see some before and after shots of your car, always fun to look back and admire your progress. ..Lost in the fifties..... Tedd

PS. I gotta ask, you said there were extra parts that you wanted to sell do you by chance have a extra hood for a 55, I could use one....Tedd
Was thinking of that when I scanned the vintage forum yesterday. I think the saying is "close but no cigar". The original hood is very very solid, however back in the day (60s) he leaded the hood ornament holes shut and filled in the front emblem area. I think this was called frenching a car. I haven't looked at it recently to see what was actually done, probably pounded down the raised lip and butt welded a plate in. He bought a very solid hood back around mid 70s and will use that one for the resto. I guess the old hood would only be good for a hot rodder. He did the same thing on the trunk, however we are reusing it as he just leaded in the emblem holes and had a plug leaded in the lock hole (installed a remote electric latch). If you're still looking then, I'll keep my eyes open at the Carlisle meet the end of April. Saw a fully 55 vert body last year that looked solid. Car is in Ohio, I won't get back up there until April or around Memorial Day to look at the original hood in detail, to see what was done.

lshlsh2 - I'm in Gaithersburg, however the car is in northeast Ohio. I bring a few parts home each monthly trip to restore, and return them on the next trip. Looks like my 25 year 67 Camaro project may get further delayed.

I've got a few scans of old slides from January 1955, right after he bought it. I'll post one up as an avatar tonight.
Old March 27th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Russ P in MD
Was thinking of that when I scanned the vintage forum yesterday. I think the saying is "close but no cigar". The original hood is very very solid, however back in the day (60s) he leaded the hood ornament holes shut and filled in the front emblem area. I think this was called frenching a car. I haven't looked at it recently to see what was actually done, probably pounded down the raised lip and butt welded a plate in. He bought a very solid hood back around mid 70s and will use that one for the resto. I guess the old hood would only be good for a hot rodder. He did the same thing on the trunk, however we are reusing it as he just leaded in the emblem holes and had a plug leaded in the lock hole (installed a remote electric latch). If you're still looking then, I'll keep my eyes open at the Carlisle meet the end of April. Saw a fully 55 vert body last year that looked solid. Car is in Ohio, I won't get back up there until April or around Memorial Day to look at the original hood in detail, to see what was done.

lshlsh2 - I'm in Gaithersburg, however the car is in northeast Ohio. I bring a few parts home each monthly trip to restore, and return them on the next trip. Looks like my 25 year 67 Camaro project may get further delayed.

I've got a few scans of old slides from January 1955, right after he bought it. I'll post one up as an avatar tonight.
Thanks for the feed back ,I hope to have my car on the road again in late April, best case scenario, so Thanks for your reply...Tedd
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM

Russ P in MD

Wecome to CO from a fellow Marylander and a 56 OLDS owner.

Rick
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM

Thanks all. I look forward to getting your expertise on the many questions I'll have.