The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

"Barn Find" 70 442 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM

"Barn Find" 70 442 Convertible

OK...technically it was not a "barn", more of under a tin shed roof at the back of a warehouse...but the sentiment is the same

I was doing some work for the owner and came across the car behind a gate and under this roof and I inquired about it. Now it is here in my garage...(go figure). It was sitting for about 15 years or so!

Its a 70 442 Convertible and to be quite honest, I know almost nothing about these things. Ive spent the last two days scrubbing and cleaning and trying to get everything to work and Im pretty pleased so far. The car has cleaned up well and I took it for a blast down the valley today with my dog riding shotgun and it is one heck of a cool machine! Runs sweet!

Ive been doing some online research to find out what is right and wrong. The vin number is consistant with a real 442 and the engine has the right casting number, but the other numbers on the engine look like it may be a marine block originally?

In any case...here is a couple pics of it after the clean up...what do y'all think?

Last edited by bugnbox; March 24th, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Welcome to the site! Wow! It looks like you found treasure! Oregontopcat has a similar story as he bought a 1970 442 convertible that had been in a shed for almost 30 years. His shows some damage from neglict, but still a similar story. There's a lot of knowledge on this site so if you'd like to post the numbers or anything else about the car that you want to know about feel free! John
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM

holy crud, wow, what a find, I only dream of things like this, hard to beleive there is still some cars out there, who really cars about the block, yes some people will but if you paid a barn price it really doesn't matter. I like those side stripes nice variation of a W30 stripe, kind of like the 70 pace car. Nice color - what options did it come with.
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM

You lucky dog you!
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:21 PM

And where do u live.........that looks like georgous country.......pedal to metal road.
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM

OK...numbers...help me with this if you can the casting number is 396021 F and the numbers on the little pad at the front of the block look like L3E 8450 Y.

How can I find out what options it came with originally?
I see power steering, power brakes, auto trans, power top, tilt wheel, 8 track under the dash, A/C.
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:38 PM

why don't things like this ever happen to me....and let me guess, the guy sold it to you for $500 bucks.

yea I have a car with a similar stamping and my research determined a marine block).

without documentation probably the only factory options you could prove would be listed on the cowl tag...and only a few at most.
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM
car guy

Killer car and great story. They ARE still out there
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:08 PM

Very nice! Post up some more pics when you get a chance.
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Drooooool. I think that one must have been left over after they made 'Demolition Man".

1. 396021 F means it's a 455.
2. Your VIN should start out something like this: 344670XXXXXX

Check your cowl tag. The PNT code should be 73 - 'rally red' even though it looks orange. The second part of the code should be BB - black convertible top

Your options:
power steering - N47
power brakes (Front disc) - J52
auto trans TH400 - M40
tilt wheel - N33
4 spoke Sports Steering wheel (can't tell from pic) - N34
seat belts (deluxe: front/back) - A39
Console?? (if its a dual gate) - W26
A/C - C60
Tinted glass - A01
Sport mirrors (remote left) - D35
Radio (I'm guessing AM/FM stereo) - U58
8 Track (tape player) - U57
455 Engine / air induction - W30
If you have the rallye pac gauges - U21
Wheels (super stock) - N66

In 1970 there were 2933 convertible 442's made (15%) of total 442 production that year.

Looks like its missing a hood tie down. Did the dog come with the car?
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Congrats on a beautiful find, and I thought my '71 SX convertible was the last decent 'barn/carport' find in the state. I believe the last year for those red AZ plates was '95 or '96, so that verifies how long it was sitting. Your pictures look like they were taken near Prescott somewhere. Hope to see your ride turn up at one of the local Olds club gatherings.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM

Actually Im in Southern California...but my brother lives in Prescott "road trip"!

Where is the cowl tag?
What do Rallye Pack gauges look like?
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:00 AM
bil

Very nice! And they actually are out there.I fly a lot,and when we are in the long landing run,I usually have my camera at the window,checking out the industrial yards and open buildings from overhead.I have spotted quite a few older cars out there,get a picture to compare with a map if something good shows up and I have time.Congrats on your find,it cleaned up nice! ---bil
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:30 AM

What an unbelievable find!! And all you've had to do is clean it up and you're already driving it after sitting for 15 years? What other cars were sitting in there? I see at least one other convertible in the pictures...what was that car? You have definitely joined the right forum to learn all there is to know about your car. As for the missing hood tie down, I would think Fusick would have those...am I right guys? Check them out if you haven't already. www.fusick.com. They are the kings of Oldsmobile restoration parts.

I have to ask as I'm sure everybody is dying to know....what did you pay for it?

Good luck with it and keep that beauty on the road!

Last edited by 76 Regency; March 25th, 2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:32 AM

Im in Southern Calif in the Riverside area if you want someone to take a look at it. I have a 1970 442 convertible too.

Lee
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Cutlass Lover

WOW! What a great find! Wish I could find something like that, lol! She really cleaned up nice and looks great!

Did you get the story on the car? Why was she just sitting for so long, and did you get a good deal?
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:42 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome and glad you made it over here.
Larry
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:32 AM

the "deal"

Im down near Temecula...so not THAT far from Riverside...if you wanted to come see it and help educate me...I would love that!! Im not about ready to drive the car anywhere at a distance yet...down the block was spooky enough after a 15 year slumber!

Im not going to kiss and tell on the deal...but I will be straight up and say that the end goal is to sell it...not keep it. Its a dream car, just not "my" dream. But I really love anything with wheels and I enjoy researching and learning anything new. And the "hunt and find" and revival of the car is something that I enjoy immensely!!

There were quite a few "other cars"
Ive got those handled too!!
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Here is an interior shot...

Old March 25th, 2011, 10:36 AM

I can always use another 442. You can never have enough. If I am heading that direction I will stop bye....I mean by. My wife already is trying to get me to get rid of my 1970 vista cruiser.

Lee
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Cutlass Lover

She sure looks good from here, lol! Shame you're not gonna keep her, but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. It looks so much like the Colonels car... Nevermind.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by bugnbox
Im not going to kiss and tell on the deal...
Oh you're no fun... lol. Nice set of wheels you found though. Who knows, maybe you'll fall in love and keep it after all. But definately it should be on the road instead of sitting in a warehouse collecting dust.

Good luck!
-Rich
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Hey...I cant keep em all !! (even if I wanted too!) I do have to admit though that the little drive down the valley with the dog next to me was pretty dream like...I could sure get used to it quick! (Im normally a foreign car car...German stuff) so having that power and all the rumble and bumble is pretty cool...never been much of a muscle car guy, but after my experience here...maybe the vehicular landscape in the garage will change a little!!
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM

I know what you're saying. Before my recent Olds purchase I was a VW fanatic. I have a 72 VW Fastback I'm now selling. I'm a changed man! My Olds is a totally different kind of car than the Fastback and the 78 Beetle I used to have, and I like it.

Again, good luck on whatever you do!

-Rich
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Allan - With the paint job my guess is the car may have been repainted a different color than factory and black top would be "B"
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Another tragedy...no cowl tag! I see where it went...but just two holes remain!

Vin number does start with 344 though...so it's good there at least.

Are there any other places to look for identifying numbers?
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM

on the passenger side of the trans the VIN derivative will be stamped in it. Also just under the front of the drivers side door or near the back of the fender on the frame is a VIN number as well. It is very hard to see on some cars but its on the face of the frame looking out at you when looking for it.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
Allan - With the paint job my guess is the car may have been repainted a different color than factory and black top would be "B"
Kinda thought so too, although in some light conditions red does appear to look orange. Not too often you see an untouched 70 442. Gotta amend the option list too. Apparently it has A51 Strato buckets, and the D55 Sports Console. It's still a beauty, and ttttook mmy breattth awwwway. That wwwwwould acccount fffor the extra B in the BBlack top although my lit book says BB is a black vert top?? It also says BB is a black vinyl top (for those so equipped) I guess you can't believe everything you read . Thx for the correction
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by bugnbox
Another tragedy...no cowl tag! I see where it went...but just two holes remain! Vin number does start with 344 though...so it's good there at least. Are there any other places to look for identifying numbers?
So what is the VIN?
3 just means it's Olds division
The remaining numbers identify the cars heritage and build sequence. Can you post the VIN? Sorry to hear the cowl tag is missing. Someone might have taken it off on purpose, for whatever reason I don't want to know.
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:07 PM

That is a sweet *** ride. That is the next car I want to get and restore
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Allan R
So what is the VIN?
3 just means it's Olds division
The remaining numbers identify the cars heritage and build sequence. Can you post the VIN? Sorry to hear the cowl tag is missing. Someone might have taken it off on purpose, for whatever reason I don't want to know.

I'd like to to know why.
You don't take cowl tags off for no reason.
Makes my ears perk up.
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Kinda thought so too, although in some light conditions red does appear to look orange.
Nice find!

Even if it's an original factory Rallye Red car (often "--" on the cowl tag), it will look orange since it's the same color as Chevrolet's Hugger Orange (and also Pontiac Carousel Red). If you wanted pure red in 1970, then Matador Red would be your choice.

I have a Rallye Red '70 SX convertible with most of its original paint, and it's as orange as can be.
Terry
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:57 AM

WOW is right! Congratulations on the find, welcome to CO, and all must be right with the world for you to stumble on your car, in that kind of shape! Hope you keep it, and join us!!
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:52 AM

If not yet registered with the Calif DMV you may want to run the vin before you invest too much into the car. I noticed the out of state plates. Stolen vehicles are in a nation wide data base and are never purged from the system. I have never seen a cowl tag removed since it would take an effort to remove them and there is no reason.

Lee
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:13 AM

Years ago I purchased a 1968 Cutlass at the Portland Oregon Swap Meet that had the trim tag removed, I didn't notice it until I got home. Previous owner had told me he swapped the best parts over to a Cutlass convertible he had restored. The trim tag was missing and my guess was he moved it to the convertible to show it had factory options that it really didn't have. I can't think of any ethical reason someone would remove a trim tag. But it is what it is, still a very nice car. Hopefully all the paperwork is good and legal and the previous owner was just trying to upgrade what the factory put on the car and make it look original. John
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:00 AM

I wish it was me, congrats its a great car!
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM

numbers

OK...

Can someone show me photos of where these vin derivative numbers are?

I want to hunt for them and see what is going on here.
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

My car is a 72 so the VIN will be different. The VIN is located in the front drivers side dash pad, visible through the front glass. Heres a pic of what to look for

2008_0314MILLER0004.jpg?t=1301254839

If your car still has it's original doors, there will also be a production tag attached to the door. It looks like this

2f26_1.jpg?t=1301255363

Heres one on the car:
BZlrpmkKGrHgoOKiYEjlLmfcsHBKnc6ZHbHQ_3.jpg?t=1301255436
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM

The vin on the dash is easy...I have that. No stickers in the door...repainted.
Im referring to the numbers someone mentioned on the frame and transmission.
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Here's the vin number stamped in a TH400 transmission on the driver side. There should also be a tag rivited to the passengerside that would have a large OG in ink printed on it, plus a number stamped in it that would have 70 (for the year) then OG followed by several numbers. The OG was the application code for 442's. John

P1010155.jpg

Quick Reply: "Barn Find" 70 442 Convertible