The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

new guy from Maine 65 Starfire/425

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:05 PM

new guy from Maine 65 Starfire/425

hey guys, I joined CO to find some info and parts for my buddy's 65 Starfire with a 425. Its not a show car by any means, but it is a great driver for sure!
We are having a hard time sourcing up exhaust manifolds or even headers for the car. One of the manifolds is cracked and unusable. I have even talked to the great folks at Kooks Custom Headers and Dick Miller Racing(got an email from the man himself, now that is service!) to have a set of SS headers made, but have not had any luck.

If anybody has any info on exhaust that they could share, we would greatly appreciate it.
I'll try to get over to his house and get some pics for everybody. I'm not much of an Olds guy, but this car is flat out cool. Can't wait to get it back on the road and cruisin' this summer!

Thanks in advance
Dento77
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM
olds..older..oldest

Lobster land

Welcome aboard!! I used to live in Nova Scotia , so I've been down to Maine a few times. Hope the salt air and roads havn't been to hard on the old girl. There will be a whack of folk here responding /welcoming , and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction for your headers and exhaust. Post some pics ASAP.....Derek
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Give these guys a call and see it they will fit your car. I am not up to speed on your year of Olds. Hopefully someone else will chime in

http://www.themotorcompany.com/1965-...s-p-16157.html
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:48 PM

thanks for the welcome guys!
Derek- haha, lobsters. i'm a short drive away from the annual Lobster Festival in Rockland. as for salt damage, its taken it pretty well for its age and yes, i'll get pics soon.
citcapp- thanks for the link!! i'll have to take another look at the manifolds, its been almost a year since i looked under the hood.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. I think there is an outfit out there that can do custom headers for just about anything Headersbyed I think is the name. Don't know if there is really an Ed or not but worth a try.

Here is the link.
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Cutlass Lover

Hi! Welcome to our site!!!
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Thornton Reproductions sells the left side manifold and the passenger side is the same for all 65 to 70 full size Oldsmobiles. Headers are expensive if even available custom and problematic.
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:08 PM

exaust manifolds

welcome to the site ,good to hear some one in the midcoast area has a starfire ,i am in the area of moody,s diner , im sure you know of that, what side is cracked ? i may be able to help you out, what color is the starfire your friend has ,i saw one in rockland 5 years ago, it was white, ok, good luck with your needs .
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM

hey guys, thought i'd share an update. got a call from my buddy yesterday saying the search was off. i guess when they picked up the starfire, it came with couple of other olds with tons of parts in the trunks. they moved all the parts into storage and forgot about them. sitting in the corner was a pair of manifolds. should have it back up and running when time permits.

Originally Posted by willj
welcome to the site ,good to hear some one in the midcoast area has a starfire ,i am in the area of moody,s diner , im sure you know of that, what side is cracked ? i may be able to help you out, what color is the starfire your friend has ,i saw one in rockland 5 years ago, it was white, ok, good luck with your needs .
i haven't been to moody's in ages, i think they were still open 24hours the last time i was there. his starfire is white, so that may have been the car.
my buddy is a pretty quiet guy, and doesn't like alot of attention. i had to pretty much beg to let me post some pics for you guys @ CO. should have them soon, its almost time to start driving it. if you do happen to see the car this summer, just shoot him a thumbs up!
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dento77
hey guys, thought i'd share an update. got a call from my buddy yesterday saying the search was off. i guess when they picked up the starfire, it came with couple of other olds with tons of parts in the trunks. they moved all the parts into storage and forgot about them. sitting in the corner was a pair of manifolds. should have it back up and running when time permits.

i haven't been to moody's in ages, i think they were still open 24hours the last time i was there. his starfire is white, so that may have been the car.
my buddy is a pretty quiet guy, and doesn't like alot of attention. i had to pretty much beg to let me post some pics for you guys @ CO. should have them soon, its almost time to start driving it. if you do happen to see the car this summer, just shoot him a thumbs up!
Well lets all go to Moody's this summer, my folks are in Friendship. When I was a kid, my grandfather would take us there in his 1940 Oldsmobile.
I may even take mine up there this year for the "Friendship Days" parade.

Last edited by 74 Omega; March 27th, 2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 28th, 2010, 01:56 AM

hello dento 77 ,

Welcome to CO .

marc
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Hi, Ive had several 65 starfire's, still do, some I want to restore, some parts cars, and drivers. I know alot about them, not everything. Let me know what u want.
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM

thanks again for the warm welcome guys and gals!! good to see the mod cleanup crew is vigilant at keeping spam down! the starfire is coming along nicely. you get some pics soon, just not until its 100% ready!!