The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'61 Super 88 Fuel/Vacuum Pump

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM

'61 Super 88 Fuel/Vacuum Pump

Hi all,

I'm new to this site, and I'm really excited that there's a place I can go to talk about these great classic cars.

I have a 1961 Super 88 (base version) with a 394 and a 4-barrel carb. My dad gave it to me when I was 16 and I've been working on it ever since (I'm 22 now). I've got it running enough to insure and drive a few times. I was extremely lucky that my dad had access to another Super 88 when he first got ahold of the car sometime in the early 90s and stripped it of pretty much every spare part so I had two of everything!

My biggest problem is the mechanical fuel pump, which doubles as a vacuum generator for some of the dash controls (like heater vents) and whatnot. I don't have a spare, and the one I have leaks oil like a sieve because the rubber pieces inside are eaten completely through in some places.

I can order a fuel pump to replace it, but it doesn't have the vacuum generator. Is there anything I can do to get vacuum back?

Thanks in advance!
-Logan
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Logan,

A nice car to bring back to life. I do not quite understand why a fuel pump would be leaking oil, under any circumstances. That said, I see fuel pump rebuild kits on ebay all the time. They should be readily available there, and other places on line.

You will find that there are not that many parts to a mechanical fuel pump. It is certainly a doable job. Go for it!
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Logan,

A nice car to bring back to life. I do not quite understand why a fuel pump would be leaking oil, under any circumstances. That said, I see fuel pump rebuild kits on ebay all the time. They should be readily available there, and other places on line.

You will find that there are not that many parts to a mechanical fuel pump. It is certainly a doable job. Go for it!
It has an arm which reaches into the engine (to the crankshaft, I assume), so there is oil in there (I believe). It then goes through the shot fuel pump and out it. That's the only thing I can come up with to explain it.

I was a bit intimidated to rebuild the fuel pump but I guess it isnt as hard as I thought
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Oldsdruid

Logan, if you don't have one you need a 1961 Olds Chassis Service Manual. These fuel pumps are rebuildable and the manual goes thru it step by step. You can find one on ebay and it is well worth the money you'll spend for it.

As Dave says, fuel pump rebuild kits are available. Get one that the materials are made to handle modern fuels. An old stock pump diaphram will disintegrate almost as soon as ethanol gas hits it, as I proved to myself on a 64 Starfire a few years ago.

As an alternative if you can't find or rebuild the correct pump, you can find a vacuum reducing valve that will drop the vacuum signal down to about 7" Hg and tap into a manifold vacuum source.

Here's a trick on rebuilding those pumps. Find yourself a pane of flat glass, put some 120-180 grit or so sandpaper on it, and use it to true the mounting flanges on the pump.
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Logan, if you don't have one you need a 1961 Olds Chassis Service Manual. These fuel pumps are rebuildable and the manual goes thru it step by step. You can find one on ebay and it is well worth the money you'll spend for it.

As Dave says, fuel pump rebuild kits are available. Get one that the materials are made to handle modern fuels. An old stock pump diaphram will disintegrate almost as soon as ethanol gas hits it, as I proved to myself on a 64 Starfire a few years ago.

As an alternative if you can't find or rebuild the correct pump, you can find a vacuum reducing valve that will drop the vacuum signal down to about 7" Hg and tap into a manifold vacuum source.

Here's a trick on rebuilding those pumps. Find yourself a pane of flat glass, put some 120-180 grit or so sandpaper on it, and use it to true the mounting flanges on the pump.
Thank you for the great advice! The good news is that I do have a service manual, I don't know where I would be without that book. I will definitely use this info when rebuilding the pump, which appears to be the best course of action at this point.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by LoganT5262
It has an arm which reaches into the engine (to the crankshaft, I assume), so there is oil in there (I believe). It then goes through the shot fuel pump and out it. That's the only thing I can come up with to explain it.

I was a bit intimidated to rebuild the fuel pump but I guess it isnt as hard as I thought
Yes, there indeed is a fuel pump arm that rides on the cam. That is the pump lever. If oil is being pumped, as opposed to merely leaking at the mounting flange, than the inner seals are not there anymore, indicating the definite need of a rebuild.

Keep us posted on the rebuild project, letting us know how it goes.
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Great to see another generation get involved with the classics. Good luck on you fuel pump rebuild
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:13 AM

Fuel pump

Logan, you can still get a rebuilt fuel pump from USA Parts Supply, part # S3.900L . Requires a core to be sent or an extra charge will be added but you still can get one.... Tedd
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Logan, you can still get a rebuilt fuel pump from USA Parts Supply, part # S3.900L . Requires a core to be sent or an extra charge will be added but you still can get one.... Tedd
Does a "core" refer to the original pump, meaning that they'd want my old one to rebuild and sell if I want a discount?

Also, that is really, really awesome that it is still available, thank you for the info! I may still do the rebuild kit because it'd be a fun project, but as I'm going to need a vehicle soon (I'm borrowing a friend's car and I have to return it by the end of the month) I may just end up buying the entire assembly.

Also, thanks to everyone that is being very friendly and welcoming me to these forums, it seems like a great place!

Last edited by LoganT5262; March 9th, 2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added thanks
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM

I brought my 61 Dynamic 88 back from the dead after 20 or so years of sitting. The more I drive it, the more crap is breaking. I need to address my fuel pump. I can buy a rebuilt dual for $130 on ebay or a rebuild kit for $69 plus shipping. My question is...Is there an advantage or disadvantage to putting just a plain ole' mechanical fuel pump on and putting in a vacuum reducing valve from the manifold?

And by the way, this vacuum reducing valve...Is it an actual valve? or a fitting to reduce the size to the 1/8 vacuum line?

FYI-I'm not restoring this to original. I'm just getting it reliable for a daily driver.

Thanks
Gary