The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Introduction: 66 Big Cars

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:21 AM

Introduction: 66 Big Cars

All,
Just wanted to post a welcome message. My name is Chris and I've had a 66 98 convertible for the past 25 years or so. It's stock except for a few upgrades: HEI, disc brakes (from a '70 donor, with 71 calipers), internally reg'd alternator, reinforced A-Arms and other stuff I've probably forgotten. Like 15 X 7 wheels... The convertible is down right now as Mondello's rebuilding the 455 motor. The mightaswell list at the local mechanic is new lower reinforced A-arms, bushings, idler arm, adjust the doors, clean up the engine...etc.

I had so much fun over the first 15 years playing with that back in '97 I picked up an unclean, but straight '66 Starfire. Over the course of about a year it went down to baremetal & back up with a factory Autumn Bronze (rust metallic) repaint. It was pretty sparse for mid-60's options so I added a bunch that I'd found in the boneyards along the way: guidematic headlight dimmer, power trunk release, power windows, power door locks, 6 way seat mechanisms. Eventually the motor needed rebuilding so I did that a few years back. It just got the 15" wheels & tires a couple of months ago. Kinda sorta looking for a 3.23 anti spin for it, but not real hard...

Some of you may know me from the Olds google group. I'm pleased to join you all here as well in appreciation, enjoyment & preservation of these great old machines.

Knowledgewise I'd claim a little on the mid-60's options, quadrajets and the various conversions listed above. Other than that I travel a lot for work and have 2 great little girls who can't wait to get the convertible back.

cheers
cf
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:33 AM

Welcome to the site. Looks like you have a nice couple of cars. Post some pictures when you get a chance and enjoy cruising this summer
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Great story!
Welcome to C.O. Glad you love tinkering and Olds is your choice to do so. I know what you mean about finding and including options. My Dad's car is now mine and he wanted nothing except PS, PB and AT. I now have a list of over 30 options that I've installed or are waiting to go on.
Now for the important part..You can't just tease us with information about 2 really nice Olds that you own, especially since you have just repainted one of them. Post some pictures for the community to enjoy (please). I' m sure your girls might turn out to be car nuts too if they're given a fair chance