The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Greetings from a New Member

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2018, 08:56 PM

Greetings from a New Member

Greetings... Proud owner of a '69 Cutlass Convertible, just picked it up a couple of weeks ago and for what I paid I think I got a steal. It's a 10-footer but the body and the underside are solid as a rock. It's an Arizona car that was brought to Michigan about 15 years ago, not a spot of rust underneath. Some tiny paint chips and nicks but no rust anywhere and the chrome is excellent which is fine because it will be a summer daily driver. Only 71k original miles with only about 2000 miles in the last 15 years, in fact the oil change sticker says to replace the oil in 2003 or at 74k miles! It's a 350/4bbl and for a car sitting so long it looks like I just need/want to rebuild the carb and I want to replace the old electronic ignition that was installed years ago (I'm pretty sure the coil is overheating causing me to lose spark, then it dies until it cools down). Oh yeah, of course I'm going to put the original wheels back on. Stumbled across this forum and was very impressed with the knowledge of so many owners and their willingness to share it. Looking forward to joining in.

Old August 31st, 2018, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site and congrats. The very first thing to do is change the oil.
Old August 31st, 2018, 07:21 AM

Thank you... The previous owner did a little work on it to be able to sell it including the oil change, a new fuel pump and a brake inspection. Probably will change the oil anyway since I don't know what he put in but it comes out very clean when you check the dipstick. What about the transmission fluid? I was assuming I should change that out too. It's a great car for me. I can leave any major work for my mechanic that I can't handle, while there are lots of small items and some minor details that I can take care of myself in the winter. The only thing is either my wife or me are going to lose their parking spot in the garage. I think I know who that will be. It's ok though, mine is a lease.
Old August 31st, 2018, 08:15 AM

Welcome aboard. Great year, Buy a pool noodle for the hood tooth. You can thank me later
Old August 31st, 2018, 08:43 AM

Welcome! Nice looking car. Interior looks great for (what appears to be) original upholstery in an AZ car. On my '70 from years ago (FL car), the top of the back seats were fried and split open from the sun. You might also want to track down some wheel well trim.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard. Great year, Buy a pool noodle for the hood tooth. You can thank me later
LOL, that "tooth" is Oldsmobile's revenge for the '68 hoods that don't open all the way.
Old August 31st, 2018, 04:13 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Nice looking ride... Glad to hear you will be installing the original wheels...
Old September 1st, 2018, 05:28 AM

Welcome from a fellow Michigander! Very nice car! But,yeah those wheels gotta go... they scream 1980's!!
Old September 1st, 2018, 11:08 PM

Nice ride
Old September 6th, 2018, 06:27 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Welcome to the site!